Travel/Job Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by tiger tiger woods y'all, Jul 16, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 67 users.
  1. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Matt’s Bar and Fat Lorenzo’s.

Hells Kitchen for breakfast if you have time to get to downtown Minneapolis.

CoastalOrange likes this.
  2. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

@NST tell us the story of Alarys and Gopher Bar.

Clemson327 likes this.
  3. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

We ate dinner at some place in St. Paul that’s located in an old big manor type house. Supposedly haunted or something. It’s higher end but not crazy. It was pretty good. I’ll try and find the name out for you.

4. NST

NST
    Expand Collapse

Not sure I can spin a yarn like @Styx but I'll try.

In 2015 I spent the summer travelling the country with a couple govt contractors working on implementing lean six sigma for our agency. I work for US Dept of Ag. Goal was improving our customer focus, shortening service time, etc... probably everyone here has been through the course. I was the agency liason who explained what we did to the contractors and helped them understand our business.

We have a big office in St Paul, and so we spent a week there.

Towards the end of the week, the boss there who is fairly young and a big, rough looking redneck guy (grew up ranching in New Mexico, bald head, Ammon Bundy looking beard, wears javelina boots to events most in his position would wear wingtips to type) takes me and a younger contractor out drinking. He asks if we like dive bars.

We say yeah. He says good, those are the only bars he goes to.

He takes us to Alarys first. The first 3 hours there are a lot of fun. I get really drunk. By coincidence a Motley Crue concert has just ended and I made friends with a woman in her 40s who got a ticket to the concert as a present from her cousin for "getting off dope" and who also had a tattoo of a dead baby (in honor of her grandson, who her sons bitch had aborted). Lots of people like this, generally hilarious. I am really living it up and enjoying being a man of the people. I had switched from a dark Surly beer to the Minnesota favorite of the Michelob Golden Light, and I was having a blast. I have a slight NC accent and am pretty soft spoken, so everyone is calling me Mayberry and giving me shit. I'm talking shit back and pretending I'm from Fargo. Actually Alarys wasnt that bad.

In the meanwhile my young contractor friend is on the other side of the bar and witnesses a couple having an arguement and sees a guy push a girl or something. Still not clear what was going on, but he didn't like it. He starts to fight the guy. My coworker in MN steps in to break it up, and they both get tossed. I go meet them outside, they say theyre going home. It's probably 1. I didnt have any part in the fight so I am ok to stay out according to the bouncers.

I decide the night is still young and I'm having fun so go back to my friends in Alarys. They've had enough there and are ready to go go Alarys rougher, darker, dingier cousin, the Gopher. I go with them, but without my real friends.

Bad idea. Really dark, mean vibe. You ever been somewhere where you know the people around you are gonna kick your ass if they get a chance, but they're gonna toy with you first? That was the Gopher. Lots of me trying to go and "no no, have another beer, I'll buy. My beer not good enough for you?"

I saw my shot where the attention wasnt on me and I got the fuck out of there.

Next day see my friend the big, bearded guy and tell him about it. "My god man, that was really dumb. That's a rough fucking bar. You're lucky you didnt get the shit beaten out of you". Not a fun place.

5. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

There are some rough spots in the Twin Cities. My boss used to play poker in the back of some of those dives, and once you collected your winnings they would walk you to your car with two goombahs who were strapped because they didn't want their reputation to suffer if you got robbed going home.

If you like steak, hit up Manny's in downtown Minneapolis or the St. Paul Grille restaurant in the St. Paul Hotel. Matt's Bar or the 5-8 Club for a juicy lucy. Burger Jones is also a great spot for signature burgers (like the white trash burger). If you want some good pizza, hit up a Broadway Pizza location for some deep dish, and there are also a couple of Giordanos locations that are legendary when it comes to Chicago style deep dish. Glamor Doll Donuts are pretty awesome if you want a sugar rush. If you want to go to an old school mafia dive in a rough neighborhood, check out Mama's in St Paul and get the lasagna or sausage platter.

6. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    Dean of Redneck Engineering
    RCUSA Original

This sounds like my experience at the Pit Stop Pub outside of Orangeburg.

Styx and NST like this.
  7. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

Fat Lorenzo's makes some pretty awesome pizza as well. One of their locations is out of a VFW lol.

8. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Haven't been to that one, but I've been to the other one four times. Tried four different things (including the pizza) and they were all outstanding.

9. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Spending Monday night in San Antonio at the river walk and have a couple of free hours in the morning.

Never been before and my knowledge is limited to the fact that both the Spurs and the Alamo exist. Any suggestions for a late dinner, a good bar, or a quick must see?

10. rdoanecu

rdoanecu
    Expand Collapse
    Tigers, Titans, Grizzlies
    First 38

So I'll be moving to Houston in June. My wife will be working at Texas Children's so we will be looking to live as close as possible to the hospital. It looks to be fairly close to Rice.

Any tips for those of you all who live there or spend/have spent a lot of time there? Thanks in advance!

11. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I might be leaving Charlotte and heading to Greenville at the start of the new year. I have a phone call in about an hour to go over an offer and I believe I will be accepting it. Not excited about leaving Charlotte at the moment but it is a pretty solid offer. If this offer was in the Charlotte area I wouldn't even hesitate for a second or two and jump on it.

/humblebrag /kindoffreakingout

12. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Our lease is up in Columbia in June and we're looking at Greenville and Charlotte. Good luck, dude.

13. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Thankfully, you're not having to choose between Charlotte, and say, Mobile perhaps. Greenville's a solid place to land.

Styx, Clemson327, J-Roc and 1 other person like this.
  14. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Accepted the position this morning. Don't start until mid-January so going to see this calendar year out with my current position and then spend a week relaxing.

15. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

[​IMG]

16. HBG

HBG
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Just saw the news about Hartsfield Airport/ATL being without power since this AM. Has to be a nightmare for people traveling today and the coming days. With the holidays, doubt many open seats to get them out of there.

17. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

At least it didn't happen on January 7th.

18. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Welp, accepted the offer and put in my notice this morning. Have all the feels one tends to have when leaving a company on good terms. Excited for the new opportunity (and new paycheck, which comes twice per month instead of once). Nervous about the new opportunity and the challenges it will bring. Sad to be leaving a company that I truly enjoyed working at the past 3 years. The people were great and I was proud of the products we made, which actually do save lives.

With that said, starting later in January, I will be taking my talents to South Bea...Carolina. See you soon, Greenville!

Oh, and @kylebw7 I expect a congratulatory free meal at that restaurant you own that has yet to be named! Don't worry, I'll pay for my alcohol though.

19. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I should have taken the winter off. Way too fucking cold. Fucking hands are so cold they look dirty.

20. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

Could one of you Columbia guys tell me where to drink beer and watch the basketball game tonight. I'm staying on Harbison.

21. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Go to British Bulldog Pub on Bower Parkway and see if they will put it on for you. Shouldn't be a problem if there isn't a bunch of bullshit soccer on tonight.

If that is a no go then the Carolina Ale House is a possibility. Honestly there are a ton of chain type bar and grill restaurants, wing places, steak places, etc around there.

Or you could just say fuck it and go to Hooters.

TheWampa likes this.
  22. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Not sure if they do anything for basketball, but Columbia Clemson Club does football games at Hickory Tavern in the Vista. Harbison has a Buffalo Wild Wings and a Wild Wings, as well as a BJ’s Brew House.

If you just want to drink, Columbia Craft Brewing downtown may put it on for you.

Styx likes this.
  23. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Good call on British Bulldog. Nice owners and they usually have a great beer list.

24. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Last time I was in there they had Blanton's. I was pleased.

TheWampa likes this.
  25. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

Thanks guys. I will be trying this British bulldog.

Styx and TheWampa like this.
  26. TigerTalk

TigerTalk
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Just make sure Jim "the Anvil" Neidhart isn't around. They make a pretty good tag team duo!

27. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I second British Bulldog. Solid food too. Go sit at the bar. If you aren’t feeling that then go to Ale House. Nothing special but will be easy to watch the game. They have a huge bar area with tons of tvs.

Styx likes this.
  28. haywood jablowme

haywood jablowme
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Heading to Madrid on Saturday(if the government doesn’t shut down). Anyone ever been?

RIP Tiger Tails likes this.
  29. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

@Styx appreciate the recommendation of British bulldog. The game sucks but the bartender is a cool clemson liking guy and they have a bluegrass band. I’m dranking plenty and enjoying the atmosphere.

Styx and CoastalOrange like this.
  30. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Carolina wings in Lexington and the old mill brewpub are decent options for the future too

Styx and CoastalOrange like this.
  31. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Still waiting to hear about that free meal at the restaurant owned by @kylebw7

32. RIP Tiger Tails

RIP Tiger Tails
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

My gf is from Madrid so I’ve been several times. Cool city. How long you going to be there? I’ll try and post some recs this weekend

33. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You moved to Greenville?

34. haywood jablowme

haywood jablowme
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Awesome. If I get to go I’ll be there 2 weeks, maybe one if I have to go down to Jerez for Work.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. shinkle10