Travel/Job Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by tiger tiger woods y'all, Jul 16, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 67 users.
  1. RIP Tiger Tails

RIP Tiger Tails
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yeah, I'm speaking as a Diamond on Delta where normally I can get the change fee waived then just do the difference. Since it's international I believe it would be a $250 change fee as well. I haven't had to change an international in a while but the last time I did I ended up with a credit because the fare was lower than when I purchased the original ticket.

2. HBG

HBG
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'm sure you love your family as much as we all love our families but really, isn't $150 worth it to NOT have to drive with the family back home? "Honey, kids ... help momma get home safe"

3. William Christopher

William Christopher
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

When/where are you staying?

4. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Me and the gf are spending 5 days in Cape Cod for July 4th. Not sure exactly where we'll be coming from/going to because we're going to various places/parties including into the city one day. It definitely wouldn't be on the 4th we went to the island, probably the 2nd.

Like I said I'm left out of the logistics because she likes to make things surprises. I'm fine with it because it means I don't have to worry about planning shit

5. CUHunter

CUHunter
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Headed to Napa for a weekend with some friends in August. We spend 2 nights in San Francisco and I've been put in charge of picking a ridiculously good restaurant for one evening. Anyone have any recommendations?

6. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

where in SF you staying?

my stock rec is state bird provisions but getting a reservation is nearly impossible

a congressman likes this.
  7. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

No matter what happens, make sure to stop by the tonga room. Absurd as place.

clemtiger87 and rdoanecu like this.
  8. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Are you after nightlife and restaurants, or beaches? Given the choice I would always go Nantucket, but it depends on what you are looking for. Water will be warmer at the Vineyard, but if you are from the south it will be cold as fuck at either

Dirty Ears Bill likes this.
  9. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

Wait, wut?

Clemson327, Lyrtch and u jelly like this.
  10. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Oh, and I will also likely be on the cape for the 4th

11. rdoanecu

rdoanecu
    Expand Collapse
    Tigers, Titans, Grizzlies
    First 38

Second the Tonga Room. When we went I had been up for 22 hours due to an early east coast flight out there. I still had an awesome time.

OrangeONeill likes this.
  12. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I would guess it will be more of a shops, restaurants type deal. And yeah I was up there for the 4th last year and noped right out of that water as soon as I felt it. Gonna have to be real drunk to do get in.

13. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Go to Nantucket

Dirty Ears Bill likes this.
  14. haywood jablowme

haywood jablowme
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Was out on Nantucket a few years ago for the 4th and I can vouch that it's good times.

I just found out yesterday that I'm probably going to be spending the 4th up in Halifax for work. I've never been, any recomendations?

#854 haywood jablowme, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  15. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Lobster is cheap as fuck up there, they don't have the same size restrictions as Maine so they're like $2 a lb. if you have a car, Prince Edward Island is awesome and has some great golf

haywood jablowme likes this.
  16. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Doing the Pacific Coast Highway drive next month. 2 days in Seattle. 2 on the way to San Francisco. 2 in San Francisco. And 2 in Vegas.

Haven't booked Seattle or San Francisco hotels yet. Where should we eat or stay?

17. phil brickma

phil brickma
    Expand Collapse
    Resident North Tennessee Native
    RCUSA Original

When I was in Seattle, I stayed at the Hyatt Olive 8, which was really nice.

I will be in Palo Alto next month, and have no idea where I will be staying.

18. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

@Lyrtch

19. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Capitol Hill in Seattle is awesome. Most hotels are downtown which is also nice.

In SF what do you guys want to do? Tourist spots or? Fishermans Wharf and Financial District are going to be where most the hotels are. If hotels I'd stay in Financial.

What kind of food you looking for? Casual/Fine dining? Ethnic/American? Spent a good bit of time in both places.

20. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Thanks. Booked the Max Hotel in Seattle... right next to pike place. Looking for tourist stuff in both cities.

For food, I'd like to skip fine dining. We eat p much anything outside of Mediterranean. Any place with a nice view is desired.

Been looking at the union in SF. Tell me more about fisherman's wharf. The hotels in the union are around $400/night. Same with Seattle.

We did find flights for $17 each from SF to Vegas. Yay.

21. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Seattle you could get the City Pass that lets you choose I think 3 of the Zoo/Aquarium /Glass Museum/Space Needle/etc, glass museum is cool.

I'd be hitting Walrus and the Carpenter, Rockcreek Seafood, and Westward(has outdoor seating), not fine dining but killer seafood centric joints. I'd get a sandwich and street corn at Un Bien, its easily the most famous sandwich joint in Seattle. Near where you're staying I'd go to Taylor Shellfish for oysters. Mbar has a killer outdoor area. Il Corvo and Salumi would be the best lunch spots for the food.

Tourist wise Pike Place is obviously enjoyable, the produce is amazing so buy whats in season. Just walk around, take it in, grab some mac and cheese at Beechers.

Fishermans Wharf is where most the touristy stuff is, it's where Ghiradelli square is, Pier 39, the sourdough bread bowls, etc. Union Square area is cooler area to stay as you're centrally located. Can walk up to the Ferry building which is worth hitting for oysters and just to hit the shops.

There's endless food options in SF. Would recommend spending an afternoon hanging out in the Mission District, grab a burrito, sit on a porch bar at somewhere like Rosamunde. Have to get off the beaten path to not feel like you're in big money anodyne culture. State Bird Provisions would be the place to try and hustle a reservation.

and who doesn't like Mediterranean food wtf

22. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

In SF bike riding across the golden gate into Sausalito and eating / drinking at bar boccee is a good time. Can take a ferry or cab back.

23. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Thanks!

We took you up on the city pass. Food is tentatively gonna be beechers, pike place chowder, marination ma Kai, and six seven/mbar.

Haven't even thought about San Fran yet, but the bike ride to bar bocce sounds like a winner. @OrangeONeill

Lyrtch likes this.
  24. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Heading back to Newport, RI at the end of July. Pretty excited.

25. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Serious Pie in Seattle is also great.

26. NST

NST
    Expand Collapse

Got a work trip to Boston in 2 weeks. Gonna stretch it out to spend an extra weekend visiting a buddy in Providence.

Really excited.

TheWampa likes this.
  27. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Check out Salem if you can. Some really cool things to do. Go to any Italian restaurant in the north end.

NST likes this.
  28. clemtiger87

clemtiger87
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Used to live in SF prior to moving to HK. If you stay in Union, keep south of Leavenworth as City Hall and the tenderloin get a bit dicey at night.

Definitely bike across the bridge. Fishermans wharf is super touristy. Think SF version of Myrtle's grand strand with Ripley's and all that stuff.

El Farolito is GOAT for quesadillas in late night if you go to the mission. Can't go wrong food wise. Big proponent of State Bird. Also like Liholiho yacht club. If you need more info let me know

29. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

@clemtiger87 claimed to live in the "tenderneck" or was it "lower russian hill"? Either way it was a lie and a bad fucking neighborhood. Lot of fun though.

clemtiger87 likes this.
  30. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

Thanks man, post more often!

(Yes I'm squeezing everything possible out of this bad joke)

31. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

20170626_201604.jpg
    20ft from my house this summer. Cheers dvu.

32. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'll never understand the appeal of Salem. If I had the option, I'd get the buddy to go to Newport for the weekend. No offense to Providence, but Newport in the summer is incredible. I'm going down for a night this weekend before heading to the Cape. Just an unbelievable time, even with kids

William Christopher and TheWampa like this.
  33. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I'm staying in Asheville tonight at the Hilton Garden Inn on college street. Any good spots close by?

34. JocasseeTiger

JocasseeTiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I used to enjoy the Lexington Avenue Brewery which is only 0.5 miles from there. I haven't been in a few years so there may be some better spots by now.

35. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I ended up going to Green Man. Then ate at my hotel rooftop restaurant. I just had a burger so didn't really test the food out. But they have incredible sunset views over the mountains. Was pretty cool.

IMG_3696.JPG

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)