Travel/Job Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by tiger tiger woods y'all, Jul 16, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 67 users.
  1. tiger tiger woods y'all

tiger tiger woods y'all
    Expand Collapse
    Original TMBer
    RCUSA Original

Anyone here travel frequently for their job (or travel a lot in general)? I just took a new job (in consulting) where I will be traveling 75% of the time, basically every week M-Tr. I just did my TSA Pre-Check interview. I've already built my relationship with Delta and Marriott so I am going to stick with those two for the points. Any tips of the trade?

RIP Tiger Tails likes this.
  2. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

TSA pre is definitely worth it especially if you travel a lot. If you are traveling abroad I would look into Global Entry, basically get to skip customs once you get through their background check and interview.

We are trying to do one at least one big trip a year internationally. Everyone has a different thing they want to spend their discretionary money on, for us it's traveling.

We are doing South Africa next spring. 3-4 days in Cape Town (hike Lions Head, great white cage diving, helicopter tour) and 3-4 days at a private game reserve. Bartscottcantwait.gif

TheWampa likes this.
  3. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Going to Cancun next month for my wife's birthday. Can't get here quick enough. Next trip we want to get over to Europe. We have to save up enough time off though. Feel like if we are going over there we need at least 2 weeks to make it worth it.

4. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I think if you stick to 1-2 countries you can do a 7-10 day trip to Europe. Where are you looking?

My favorite cities:

1) Florence (studied abroad there)
    2) Amsterdam - great even avoiding the red light district. Really cool city
    3) Prague
    4) Dublin

Croatia and Budapest are on my bucket list at some point.

If you are serious about booking flights and are on Twitter follow @airfarewatchdog @theflightdeal and @faredealert. If a great fare pops up (and they will) one of those handles will post it immediately.

5. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

I travel a decent amount, but it's domestic and via car since I'm broke as shit. Going to the Keys next weekend for the first time. It's the end of the Hemingway festival, so I'm pretty excited.

a congressman likes this.
  6. tiger tiger woods y'all

tiger tiger woods y'all
    Expand Collapse
    Original TMBer
    RCUSA Original

Nice. We have a similar philiosophy. We just did Bora Bora for our honeymoon, and next year we are going to high class backpack throughout western europe. I will look at global entry. I think I am back and forth in the continental US for about a year before any major international travel for work.

TheWampa likes this.
  7. tiger tiger woods y'all

tiger tiger woods y'all
    Expand Collapse
    Original TMBer
    RCUSA Original

Yeah.. This will be the work-compensated kind, which is the best kind. Trying to see if they've got a first class policy.

TheWampa likes this.
  8. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

How was Bora Bora? Really want to go but it's so damn expensive.

9. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

We did the Maldives in April (basically Bora Bora without the big mountain) and it was incredible. Most beautiful place on earth just really expensive and hard to get there (have to connect in Dubai or likely Hong Kong).

Our room:

[​IMG]

Me fly boarding:

[​IMG]

10. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Shit that looks awesome. I'm planning another trip to Newport for the folk festival next summer. I went last year and had a fantastic time.

William Christopher likes this.
  11. DC3

DC3
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I'm going to Japan in a month. I've never traveled internationally before. What am I in for?

12. tiger tiger woods y'all

tiger tiger woods y'all
    Expand Collapse
    Original TMBer
    RCUSA Original

Just absolutely gorgeous. We went for 7 nights and stayed at the St. Regis Bora Bora (where they shot the movie Couples Retreat). It was pricey.. all in for about 14k. Pictures really don't do it justice. I'll try to find some pictures later but as much as I love you guys most of them have me or my wife in it.

13. The Guglia

The Guglia
    Expand Collapse
    I work in the City, and I work long hours.
    RCUSA Original

Congratulations on the job. Big 4? What firm?

14. tiger tiger woods y'all

tiger tiger woods y'all
    Expand Collapse
    Original TMBer
    RCUSA Original

Thanks. I actually turned down an offer from a big 4 to join a boutique healthcare consulting firm doing exactly what I wanted to do, with loads of opportunity/bonus potential. My end goal is to be the Ops leader for a healthcare focused PE firm.

a congressman, kylebw7 and The Guglia like this.
  15. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Are you flying business or coach? After flying non stop in a middle seat for 15 hours from Hong Kong to Dallas in coach I envy those that get lay flat beds and full course meals.

If you're in coach make sure you get up and walk around every hour or so. Your ankles will be swollen by the time you land if you don't. I also wouldn't drink (at least not get drunk) and get on a normal sleep schedule. If you get there at 4pm stay away until it's time to go to bed there then force yourself to get up at 8 or 9am Japan time. Easiest way to adjust to jet lag.

16. The Guglia

The Guglia
    Expand Collapse
    I work in the City, and I work long hours.
    RCUSA Original

Buy a tumi briefcase. Leather will get destroyed. Sign up for a rental company - fuck Avis, I'm switching to Hertz because fuck Avis. Get an IPad and some nice headphones so you don't have to listen to everyone around you on the plane / train. Carry an umbrella. Buy Allen Edmonds and get them shined anytime you see a guy shining shoes. Make friends with the employees at your hotel and restaurants where your clients are. Get one deep tissue massage per month.

What market?

TCJ likes this.
  17. RIP Tiger Tails

RIP Tiger Tails
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I travel at least 50% of the year for work but not the typical m-t. Like everyone is saying pick an airline(and a backup), hotel and car rental company.

Heading to Tokyo on Saturday. If anyone has any suggestions there let me know.

18. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

I travel about once a month for work. Headed to Phoenix next week and Manila in sept.

Team aa. Delta is a lot harder to get status with. Get the aadvantage exec platinum card on a flight and get 50,000 miles free. If you sign up online you only get like 30k.

I haven't done pre check yet but should probably do it

19. tiger tiger woods y'all

tiger tiger woods y'all
    Expand Collapse
    Original TMBer
    RCUSA Original

Thanks. No geographical market, but I work in physician practice performance improvement. I've got a Tumi backpack that I've been traveling with. I've been an Avis guy for a while.. but I agree they aren't the best.

I bought a pair of Allen Edmonds and they were the most uncomfortable shoe I've ever owned. I've got about 15 pairs of Cole Haans that I love and wear daily.

20. tiger tiger woods y'all

tiger tiger woods y'all
    Expand Collapse
    Original TMBer
    RCUSA Original

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    I kop'ed this though last week for the travel.

21. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

National has the best rental club. If you can consolidate points or get points for expensing tea be its worth paying the Amex membership cost yourself

22. tiger tiger woods y'all

tiger tiger woods y'all
    Expand Collapse
    Original TMBer
    RCUSA Original

Do they have easy pick up drop off? Thats really my number 1 thing.

23. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

National is pick your own car which I like and in the emerald club you bypass the counter and go. You can also return the car and just walk away but I usually stay just to make sure they don't stick me with some charge.

For bags I have a Filson padded computer bag. Can fit a lot in there, looks good in business and personal travel, and when it's 25 years old it will look better than it does now. If the leather straps get worn just get it refurbished.

I also have an osprey carry on that's really good for 2-3 night stays and is really light. Any longer than that or if I have to carry multiple shoes it's a hassle.

24. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

Have an eagle creek universal traveler backpack. By far the best travel pack ibr ever had. Laptop butterfly zip is clutch af in the security like line. No need to take laptop out

CUpigpen12 likes this.
  25. tiger tiger woods y'all

tiger tiger woods y'all
    Expand Collapse
    Original TMBer
    RCUSA Original

Need to pre check my ninja

26. William Christopher

William Christopher
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Ask to get switched to per diem, stay at the cheapest hotel you can stand, live off pb&js during the week, profit.

a congressman, The Guglia and Tigers like this.
  27. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

I've only flown one trip and it was Chicago a month ago. Meh.

28. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

National/Hilton/AA guy myself. Research food options in your area and stay away from chains. You can eat at an Applebee's anywhere. Join the Admirals Club. Use Waze to get around, good for moving you around traffic congestion in an unfamiliar area. Avoid hotel bars at all costs unless you want to wake up in a bathtub with one less kidney. Make yourself exercise every day. Buy a USB travel humidifier so that you're not dried out in the morning after the air runs all night. Don't be ashamed to silently fart on the airplane and enjoy the reactions of those around you. Avoid checking bags if you can help it. Invest in a USB charger if you don't own one already.

a congressman, TCJ, AC- and 6 others like this.
  29. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It's a big lot and you just pick any car. It's what I like about them

cuwoodchipper likes this.
  30. tiger tiger woods y'all

tiger tiger woods y'all
    Expand Collapse
    Original TMBer
    RCUSA Original

Good tips likes for you sir

31. Grady Jarrett

Grady Jarrett
    Expand Collapse
    In there like swimwear
    RCUSA Original

I consider you one of my role models

32. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Everything about this post is factually correct.

Tigers and cuwoodchipper like this.
  33. RIP Tiger Tails

RIP Tiger Tails
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

If it's not too late I'd just do global entry it's $15 more and it gets you the expedited clearing of customs on international. It gets you pre check with it.

And uber everything far better than taking taxis out of town.

34. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

This all day. And I haven't gotten a car with over 20,000 miles in a long time.

Really good selection on the Emerald Aisle and Executive Aisle is even better (although some locations have better selections than others). With my corporately mandated "intermediate" reservation, my last 8 cars were:

Minneapolis - 2015 Chrysler 300C
    Hartford - 2015 Buick Encore
    Baltimore - 2015 Chevy Malibu
    Portland - 2015 BMW 328i (lucked into this one)
    Tampa - 2015 Chevy Impala
    Toronto - 2015 Subaru Outback
    Tampa - 2015 Chevy Malibu
    San Diego - 2015 Ford Explorer

By the way, I'm flying into Little Rock and out of Memphis next week. Never been to either city. Any food recommendations?

35. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Airline should be dictated by where you live. I'm on Jet blue now because I hate usair and other than them JetBlue has the most direct flights from boston.

Oh, and never by chargers for your laptop. Whenever you need one, just ask the hotel if you can check their lost and found. They will have everything under the sun other than an I phone charger (because housekeepers don't have laptops)

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)

1. triceratops