The Random thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cut68, Jul 15, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 99 users.
  1. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Clemson has named former Stanford head coach John Rittman as its first ever softball coach. Clemson Athletic Director Dan Radakovich made the announcement Friday morning at the McFadden Building in Clemson.

“John Rittman is a proven winner and nationally respected coach, and the right person to lead our new softball program at Clemson,” Director of Athletics Dan Radakovich said. “We have 27 months until first pitch, and John has the vision and experience to build a strong foundation and culture for years to come.”

Clemson is shooting for 2020 to be the inaugural season for the softball program. Clemson Athletics received Phase I Approval for the construction of a new softball stadium from the Clemson University Board of Trustees last month. The approval allows the athletic department to select an architect and begin the design process.

Rittman has spent the last three years as Kansas softball’s associate head coach. He joined the Jayhawks after 18 seasons as the head coach at Stanford University and eight years on the United States National Team coaching staff (2001-08).

“I am thrilled and grateful for the opportunity to build the Clemson softball program,” Rittman said. “I want to thank the Board of Trustees, President Clements and Dan Radakovich for the opportunity. We want to recruit the best student-athletes in the country, and we’ll embrace the Clemson culture and passionate fan base. I can’t wait to get started.”

Under Rittman, the Cardinal recorded 18-consecutive winning seasons, made 16-straight NCAA appearances, notched 13 40-win seasons and produced at least one All-American in 15 of the last 17 years.

At Stanford, Rittman accumulated a 750-351-3 overall mark, coached a national player of the year, 16 All-Americans, five Super Regional appearances, two Women’s College World Series appearances and maintained a spot in every regular-season National Fastpitch Coaches Association (NFCA) poll for more than a decade.

In the summer of 2008, Rittman made his second coaching appearance in the Olympic Games, and was an integral part of the staff that led Team USA to a silver medal in Beijing, China. The squad won its first eight games of the tournament, most by considerable margins, and outscored opponents 58-5 over the nine games.

Two of Rittman’s former pupils, outfielder Jessica Mendoza and utility player Lauren Lappin, were part of the medal-winning team and carried two of the team’s top three batting averages on the 40-city Bound 4 Beijing Tour leading up to the Games.

Rittman coached the 2007 USA team that won its second-consecutive title at the World Cup of Softball in Oklahoma City and its eighth title at the Pan Am Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Lappin and Mendoza were both key players on that squad.

In 2006, he helped Team USA to its eighth-consecutive World Championship in Beijing, a World Cup of Softball title and a gold medal at the Japan Cup in Yokohama.

In 2004, Rittman made his first appearance as an assistant coach for the U.S. Olympic Team, guiding former Stanford player Mendoza and the rest of the team to a gold medal in Athens, Greece.

Team USA won gold medals at the Pan Am Games and the U.S. Cup in 2003. In addition, Rittman coached for the teams that won the 2002 U.S. Cup, the 2002 Canada Cup, the 2002 Japan Cup and the 2002 World Championship. In 2001, he coached the USA Red Team that won the gold medal at the U.S. Cup and competed in the Canada Cup and the USA Softball Shootout.

Prior to being named head coach at Stanford, Rittman spent four seasons as an assistant coach at the University of Washington. Before his appointment at Washington, Rittman spent two seasons as an assistant at Minnesota. During his second year, the Golden Gophers won the Big Ten Conference with a 20-4 league record.

From 1988-90, Rittman was an assistant coach at Oregon. During his stay, the Ducks played in the 1989 Women’s College World Series, set several team and individual offensive records and produced an All-American.

Rittman graduated from New Mexico State with a degree in journalism in 1986. He was a three-year letter-winner in baseball as an outfielder.

2. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

Uhh that seems like a really good resume

TheTigerMan likes this.
  3. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

Shit, this seems like a slam dunk hire

4. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

5. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

6. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

Yes, but it caused him to resign, not get hired to another HC Position for 4 years, take a job that doesn't start for another 2.5 years, etc, and in general have a cloud over his head that could hurt recruiting. Makes me question the home run nature of the hire.

Seems like a fine hire though not getting Dabo Swinney of softball to leave their job and sit on the sidelines for 2 years and build a program, so this is probably as good as we could possible do.

Dirty Ears Bill likes this.
  7. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

So I reached out to my softball source in California about this. No really, a buddy of mine in the LA area - and from the Bay Area - is a softball hitting coach, on of his daughters is a coach at St John's and another is on scholarship in Washington.

Anyway, he said allegations were bullshit, and would have sent his own daughter there had her verbal score been good enough to get into Stanford. So everybody can relax, our softball program is going to be OK.

8. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You're trying really hard to get someone fired when your allegations include "rides to the airport, parties on official visits, and teaching too much technique" :haha:

9. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Oh, man. I gotta get me one of them California softball sources.

gocams likes this.
  10. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

So whenever i type the letter ‘I’ on here, tmb or tiger illustrated it automatically gets changed to this:

!I️

It’s a exclamation point and that block figure on tiger illustrated. Does anyone know how to fix that? It doing it on my text messages too. Don’t see anything in my keyboard shortcuts that’s causing it.

11. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It’s an iOS 11 bug.

Temporary workaround
    https://m.imore.com/how-fix-annoying-i-text-bug-iphone-and-ipad

cuangler likes this.
  12. Papa

Papa
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I don't know how to fix it, but I just wanted to say HA HA HA

cuangler and TheTigerMan like this.
  13. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Not going to lie, it’s got me so shook.

14. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

15. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Glad it wasn't just me.

16. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Cross-post from TMB:

"Has anyone used one of those Credit Card consolidation companies before? I am not massively in CC debt but more than I would like and want to get it down to a more reasonable amount. Obviously there are many different routes I can take (i.e. calling the CC companies and asking for a lowering of my interest rate) but as I study my options I figured I would ask here. Are those places a scam? Will it further hurt my credit score to do something like that? TIA."

17. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I've never looked at a consolidation loan but I would recommend looking into signing up for a new card with a 0% promotional rate on balance transfers. You can usually get a year or more at 0% and you just pay a 3% fee for the transfer. Not sure about this part but that might even help your score, since you're raising your cumulative limits (by opening a new account) without adding to the debt... the debt:limits ratio on revolving accounts is a big factor in your score.

18. RIP Tiger Tails

RIP Tiger Tails
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Plus having more credit lines is a small factor but can increase your score.

Which I find dumb you have a poor rating for having 5 or less credit lines open but it is what it is.

19. JocasseeTiger

JocasseeTiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

This only works if you are dedicated to paying off the debt. The free balance transfer cards are going to have really high rates if you let the balance sit past the grace period. I recommend reading Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover if you are serious about paying off your debt.

20. the great pumpkin

the great pumpkin
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The comedy club about a mile from my house sent out an email earlier in the week advertising a secret show for an A-list comedian last night. I would not have put it past this place to really exaggerate the term A-list, but the tickets were free with a promo code/plus can walk there so I took a shot on it.

I couldn't believe it was actually Adam Sandler there to do a show at this small club. I haven't like many of his movies in the past decade, but holy shit the teenage version of myself would have sold his soul to get to see Sandler in person. He was working on an all new set so not sure if he is getting ready to tape a Netflix special or something similar.

I thought he was still hilarious even if a lot of it may have come from nostalgia on my part.

21. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Gamers, I'm starting to plan for Christmas, Xbox or PlayStation 4 for a soon to be 8 year old? He currently uses a PS3 and only plays sports games

22. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

PS4

TheTigerMan and AC- like this.
  23. Byrnes6d1

Byrnes6d1
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

PS4

TheTigerMan and AC- like this.
  24. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

When I was a kid, I went outside a built engine from the ground up with my pa.

Buy him a 65 chevy.

25. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

PS4 and download Rocket League. If he likes sports games he will love this game.

AC- likes this.
  26. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Is one system going to be outdated before the other? Honestly if I could get NHL 18 for PS3 I wouldn't be buying a new system

27. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Probably not.

28. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Rumors are PS5 will be out 2019-2020.

29. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)