The Official Coach William Swinney Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by White Tajh Boyd, Jul 16, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 100 users.
  1. mbnativeson

mbnativeson
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I also think Clemson is unique here because our alumni base is very small yet we are continuing to grow. I cannot recall the exact numbers but I am fairly certain that over 50% of our living alums graduated since the 90s and that number is moving closer to the 2000s because our class sizes have increased so much in the past 20 years. This gives Clemson a lot more pockets and potential donors, BUT it is odd to me that (upper)middle class folks are shelling out thousands a year individually to support coaches, assistants etc in athletics and admin, professors and researchers in academics that are in the top 1% income bracket.

I think at some point even die-hards like us will stop/reduce giving as the costs increase. I guess the bottom line is when does it become too hard to rationalize spending the equivalent of a multi-week trip to watch football and drink in a parking lot.

2. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'll be at that point whenever I have kids. Paid $5k+ for the natty. I'll be doing the bare minimum to simply have lower level seats and will drop from attending every home game (ive missed 3 since around 1995) to going to a good 4 games per year.

*it hurt typing that I'm having 2nd thoughts.

3. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

It's fucking expensive. I love it and will do it as much as I can, but I mostly buy extras off of friends. Between travel, tailgating/my drinking problem, and tickets, it adds up quick and that's without a family.

4. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The only thing that can put somewhat of a halt to any of this is another steep economic downturn like '08.

NST likes this.
  5. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Slightly related, but a friend had some extra tickets to the Panthers/Bills game coming up and asked if I was interested. I'm not a huge NFL fan, but I'd check it out, until I found out that face was $135. Goddamn.

6. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Yeah, college football is pretty inexpensive compared to pro football.

TheWampa likes this.
  7. OxfordTiger

OxfordTiger
    Expand Collapse

I agree and definitely see a tipping point, but where that is would be impossible to predict.

Nascar got really big on themselves during their boom in last decade. Prices for tickets skyrocketed and they out-priced their base. Now they have empty seats at locations that previously had long waiting lists for season tickets. The 2008 crash had a lot to do with it, but it was likely to happen at some point regardless.

8. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

We were talking about the new contract in my office in the Twin Cities today. One of the guys from the Chicago office was there and said that at the last place he worked, his boss went to Clemson for some kind of church leadership deal. This was some time during Dabo's first interim year. They had an event at Clemson where there was a supper on campus, and the attendees got a tour of the stadium. I think Dabo spoke at the supper and then hung around to talk with everyone personally. This guy's boss came back raving about Dabo and said that even though Dabo was a relative unknown nationally that he wouldn't be surprised to see Clemson at the top of the mountain under his direction someday.

He said that Dabo was not very animated and had a quiet intelligence to him that he thought would make him a great leader. Random story, but I had never heard it from the Chicago guy before today.

9. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

Dabo must have been the guest speaker for how to use church funds for football recruiting at this church leadership summit

10. Tiger Roll

Tiger Roll
    Expand Collapse
    allergic to jean shorts

Another testament to the character of Lord Dabo.

Made the drive up to Fan Appreciation Day two Sundays ago... when I finally make it to Clemson, eat, and find the Dabo line, its about 12... 3 hours early, its hot AF, and somehow still 100 people back in line. 2.5 hours go by, its 2:30 and line still isn't moving. Pretty frustrating considering it feels like the surface of the sun outside. Anyways, 1 more hour later, I make it inside the oculus building where Dabo is sitting. Come to find out, he is taking at least 1-2 min talking with, taking pictures and signing autographs for EVERY single person in line, just as if they are old friends - could not be more genuine. All meanwhile Kathleen is walking up and down the line giving hugs and taking pictures with everybody. Anyways, when its finally my turn, we take a picture, he signs my ball, talk for a min, and after he finds out my brother wasn't able to make it (bc he literally had a kid on the way that day). He says, "well whats his name, let's do something special for him and record a video." Mind you, there are probably 500 people in line behind me at this time, haha.

Here it is. What a good dude.

#1200 Tiger Roll, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  11. Tony Elliott

Tony Elliott
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

12. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce
    Expand Collapse

13. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Muschamp's office ride

[​IMG]

14. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

If this doesn't give you goosebumps and make you feel great about the leader of our program, nothing will.

TCJ, hawk217, mooser3586 and 32 others like this.
  15. Phillipdn

Phillipdn
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I might just be drunk but Dabo is a better human being than I could ever hope to be.

16. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

If you knew nothing about Dabo, the knee jerk response is "oh, he knew the camera was on." But he does the exact same thing wherever, whenever, regardless of cameras. There's a mountain of stories and anecdotes of exactly this. It's not an act. It's remarkable how genuine he is. I'd try to be more like that, but I just really don't like that many people. I couldn't fake it, and neither could Dabo.

DV81, chewie09, Tiger Roll and 13 others like this.
  17. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

He's like a modern day Jesus.

Kidding. Kind of.

18. MauldinT

MauldinT
    Expand Collapse
    The pride of Simpsonville

Yeah a 100x better than me, but dat ass at the end on the right

19. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

That pancake butt?

20. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Gave these out at church today... Guess we have another church buying 'cruits. Too bad they can't spell his name

IMG_7582.JPG

Clemson327 and Phillipdn like this.
  21. TheBabyShrimp

TheBabyShrimp
    Expand Collapse

Who is Dabo Sweeney?

kylebw7 and Tigerchan like this.
  22. H/T

H/T
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

My favorite part of the video is the end when he says "mom quit, you're weird".

23. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

24. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

You girls cry too much.

25. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

26. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

https://www.seccountry.com/alabama/...ck-saban-one-day-former-alabama-player-thinks

On Wednesday, former Alabama offensive lineman Alphonse Taylor tweeted out his prediction as to who will eventually steer the Crimson Tide program after Saban steps away.

And it’s someone who’s clearly shown his coaching prowess to Saban on the big stage.

Swinney has plenty of ties to Alabama, having been a former player (1989-92) and assistant coach in various capacities (1993-00) with the school.

In each of the last two seasons, Swinney’s Tigers have played classics against Alabama in the national championship game, winning the last meeting 35-31 after losing the previous matchup 45-40.

Taylor spent the previous five seasons under Saban. He started all 15 games at right guard in 2015 and four games last season before suffering a concussion against Arkansas on Oct. 8 and never returned.

27. ironlung

ironlung
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

CTE is a serious issue, Ts and Ps to that young man

28. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

“Gone be”

29. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

30. Tiger Roll

Tiger Roll
    Expand Collapse
    allergic to jean shorts

:larrydavid:prettayyy prettayyy prettayyy good

hawk217 and NCTiger04 like this.
  31. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

32. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

33. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

LOOK: Swinney family moves into new 'castle'

It's been a busy bye week for Clemson coach Dabo Swinney.

In addition to working on the finer points of his football team, Swinney was being moved into his new palatial home in the Clemson area.

The moving company involved posted some photos this week from what they dub as a "castle":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

clemsonvianj and Phillipdn like this.
  34. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That triangle point in the front looks dumb.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)