The Official Coach William Swinney Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by White Tajh Boyd, Jul 16, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 100 users.
  1. MauldinT

MauldinT
    Expand Collapse
    The pride of Simpsonville

Summarizing but something to the effect Dabo won't leave for Bama but what if Stallings could lure him to A&M

2. orangeonmymind

orangeonmymind
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Reads like a JC scouting report of a two star receiver with offers from Mercer and and Wofford.

3. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce
    Expand Collapse

Exactly.

4. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Lol Wat

5. MauldinT

MauldinT
    Expand Collapse
    The pride of Simpsonville

Yep that's probably why it got deleted

6. Pawpride

Pawpride
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

7. Irish Red Homebrew

Irish Red Homebrew
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Clemson's Dabo Swinney's ACC football's staunchest advocate
    David Teel
    8-10 minutes
    Dabo Swinney could have hedged. 'Twas the summer of 2012, realignment fever gripped college athletics, and the ACC was purportedly ripe for plundering.

The reason was football. The ACC hadn't produced a top-five team since 2000, and conventional wisdom said the league's most football-centric schools, Clemson and Florida State, needed to join with more like-minded institutions.

Why, just imagine the Tigers and Seminoles in the Big 12 with Oklahoma and Texas, conspiracy theorists said. The adrenaline jolt alone would work wonders.

Swinney, then preparing for his fourth full season as Clemson's head coach, insisted otherwise, a divisive stance in the football-mad South.

"In my opinion, going to the Big 12 would be the worst thing you could do as a program," he said at the time. "It makes zero sense. We are the ACC. This is a program, we just won the championship, won it more times than anyone in this conference. We can fulfill every goal and dream as a program right here in this conference."

Commissioner John Swofford and the league's athletic directors could preach unity 24/7, but a high-profile football coach carried far more clout, and Swinney embraced the role, never wavering.

How prescient he was, for not only Clemson, but also Florida State and, indeed, the entire conference.

With preseason camps poised to open, the ACC is college football's flavor du jour. The league survived charter member Maryland's November 2012 defection to the Big Ten and has produced two of the last four national champions (Florida State and Clemson) and Heisman Trophy winners (FSU's Jameis Winston and Louisville's Lamar Jackson).

Yet as stark as the contrast is to five years ago, this much has not changed: ACC football has no more effective and genuine advocate than Dabo Swinney.

Born in Alabama, raised on Bear Bryant and a wide receiver for Alabama's 1992 national champions, Swinney's Southeastern Conference roots are unassailable. So bank on instant Dabo-going-home speculation the moment Nick Saban retires.

But even if Swinney eventually returns to Tuscaloosa, he appreciates how the ACC contributed to a Clemson revival that peaked with January's College Football Playoff title game conquest of his alma mater.

"There's a reason why we have played so well," Swinney said at the league's preseason media gathering earlier this month. "We've won five bowl games in a row, and … it's not because I'm some great coach. I've got a good staff and all that. We've had good players. It's what we practice against every day, and it's what we play against week in and week out."

Half of the Tigers' 14 victories last season were by a touchdown or less. They survived conference rivals North Carolina State, Florida State, Louisville and Virginia Tech, and lost at home to Pittsburgh.

Come postseason they were ready, drubbing Ohio State in the semifinals and defeating Alabama in a title-game rematch on Deshaun Watson's last-second touchdown pass to Hunter Renfrow.

"But you can't just do that one time," Swinney said of success outside the conference. "Nobody is going to really give you credit for that. It's the consistency over the last several years that I think really speaks the loudest because we've been incredibly consistent in a lot of areas. We've won a bunch of big games as a conference, certainly as a program, but as a conference. I don't think this league has ever been better. … Incredible coaches in this league. I mean, really, really good coaches, and every single week you'd better come to play."

Swinney's right about the coaches. Among active big whistles with at least five seasons leading a Bowl Subdivision program, Florida State's Jimbo Fisher, Swinney, Miami's Mark Richt and Louisville's Bobby Petrino rank among the top 10 in winning percentage.

Moreover, Virginia Tech's Justin Fuente, Virginia's Bronco Mendenhall, Duke's David Cutcliffe, Georgia Tech's Paul Johnson, North Carolina's Larry Fedora and N.C. State's Dave Doeren have multiple 10-win FBS seasons on their resumes.

And Swinney's right about winning big games. His Clemson teams are 12-5 versus the top-10, and only two of those dozen victories were at home. During the last five years, the Tigers have defeated South Carolina three times, Auburn, Ohio State and Oklahoma twice each, plus LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame and Alabama.

Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Louisville and especially 2013 national champion Florida State have contributed as well, the ACC collectively heeding Swinney's admonition at a coaches' meeting several springs ago: schedule ambitiously and play better.

8. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

9. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

CFN has a list of the top 20 coaches since they started. Dabo is at 9.

CollegeFootballNews.com 20th Anniversary Top 20 Coaches
    Who were the top 20 coaches since CFN started in 1998? No. 9 Dabo Swinney, Clemson

CollegeFootballNews.com is turning 20 this season, so we’re looking back on the greatest players, games, coaches and more since we first kicked things off back in 1998.

Wins and losses are certainly a part of it all – okay, a massive part of this – but it’s also about who came up with the biggest coaching performances over the long haul. Consistency matters, championships matter, and personality plays a role, too.

Who are the 20 coaches who defined college football since 1998?

One note, accomplishments before 1998 don’t count, other than when it comes to a coach’s legacy and overall status.

Dabo Swinney, Clemson (2008-2016)
    Unlike almost all of the other coaches on this to 20 list, Dabo Swinney is just hitting his stride.

Only 47 going into the 2017 college football season, he’s still young, already accomplished, at the highest of levels, and with a surprisingly fantastic resume.

Swinney’s rise wasn’t any sort of meteoric rise – and he even left the business for a time along the way – taking over 20 years to go from a receivers coach at Alabama to the Clemson head man.

But he made a name for himself – besides his unusual nickname/first name – with his always-positive, high-energy style and phenomenal knack for recruiting high-end talent.

Tommy Bowden had done a solid job at Clemson, but he couldn’t get the program out of the world of the above-average. He never had a losing campaign in his nine full seasons, but he never won ten games and never won an ACC title.

Midway through the 2008 season, it was time for a change. Clemson was 3-3 and not going anywhere, and Bowden was gone. Swinney stepped in, went 4-3 the rest of the way, and a few years later created a powerhouse.

Clemson won the Atlantic Division in Swinney’s first full year, giving Georgia Tech a whale of a time in a 39-34 loss in the ACC title game, but the team fell back in 2010 going 6-7.

And then it all kicked in.

Clemson won the ACC championship in 2011, but ended the season with a 70-33 thud against West Virginia.

The 2016 College Football Playoff National Championship would be Swinney’s only bowl loss over the next five seasons.

He won 11 games in 2012 – highlighted by a breakthrough Chick-fil-A Bowl thriller over LSU that became the catalyst for what was to come – and ripped through another 11-win season in 2013, closing out with a win over Urban Meyer and Ohio State in the Orange Bowl.

With a 10-3 record and a 40-6 domination over Oklahoma in the Russell Athletic Bowl to close out the 2014 season, the stage was set for a two-year run going 28-2 with two appearances in the CFP national title game.

With the 2017 victory over Alabama for the national championship, Swinney holds the distinction of winning six bowl games in five seasons over four head coaches – Bob Stoops and Urban Meyer get counted twice – who had won a national championship.

Now add Swinney to the fraternity of coaches with a national title.

Biggest Moment: Deshaun Watson to Hunter Renfro
    It could be argued that the 2012 Chick-fil-A Bowl win over LSU was close.

Obviously that’s not as big as winning a national title, but considering the blowout loss to West Virginia the year before, and Clemson’s reputation for being good, but hardly great, taking down a fantastic LSU team in the final moments after a clutch drive became the moment when it looked like Swinney had something going.

The entire final drive against Alabama to win the national title became the moment when he really did arrive as one of the elite coaches in the game. Of course, Deshaun Watson had everything to do with it, but Clemson beat Alabama. Swinney beat Nick Saban. Nick Saban lost a national title game.

Yeah, it was a pick play that probably should’ve been flagged, but it wasn’t.

Watson rolled out, found a wide-open Hunter Renfrow with one second left on the clock, and after a year of waiting for the shot at redemption from the 45-40 loss in the national championship the year before, Swinney’s team had pulled it off.

Dabo Swinney’s Best Season: 2016
    The 2015 team got through the first 14 games unbeaten, while the 2016 team sputtered and struggled a little bit to get the engine going – and there was a wile loss to Pitt. But the Tigers were on a mission, and they played like it when they absolutely had to.

While they didn’t exactly get better as the 2016 season went on – they struggled to get by Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship – it was as if they just wanted to get back to the College Football Playoff and the regular season got in the way.

Once they got in, they took their game to a whole other level with the 31-0 stomping of a fantastically talented Ohio State team. One win over Alabama later, and Clemson had its first national title since 1981.

Dabo Swinney’s Worst Season: 2010
    As far as bad seasons go, this one wasn’t all that awful.

It was the only losing campaign of Swinney’s first nine years, but there were a whole bunch of close-call losses that could’ve gone the other way.

Call it a case of a relatively young team finding its way.

It lost to eventual national champions Auburn 27-24, and followed it up with a 30-21 loss to Miami.

There was a 16-10 loss to Boston College, a 16-13 loss to a strong Florida State, and dropped the Meineke Car Care Bowl to South Florida 31-26.

In all, Clemson lost five games by six points or fewer, but it still wasn’t pretty. The Tigers would start out 2011 with eight straight wins on the way to the ACC title to make up for it.

The Accolades

CFN Era Coaching Record: 89-28 in nine seasons

2015 ACC Coach of the Year

2016 College Football Playoff National Title

2011, 2015, 2016 ACC Champion

Clemson327, TheTigerMan and tboon6317 like this.
  10. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

"Yeah it was a pick play that probably should have been flagged..."

There goes their credibility in this article...

11. Grady Jarrett

Grady Jarrett
    Expand Collapse
    In there like swimwear
    RCUSA Original

Got steamed about that too but the fact that CFN had to give Coach Swinney props in one of their articles was good enough

12. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

My cousin picked up some custom Clemson carpet that was extra from Dabo's new house to go in the bonus room of her new house. When I finally get over there to check it out I'll get a pic.

13. orangeonmymind

orangeonmymind
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

There is almost $300,000 worth of just wood flooring going in Dabo's new house. Really boggles the mind.

14. JocasseeTiger

JocasseeTiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

He got a nice bonus at work this year.

TheTigerMan and gvtiger07 like this.
  15. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Remind me, Dabo sign a new contract? Assume IPTAY buying this house in some fashion?

Krombopulus Michael likes this.
  16. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Absolutely. He shouldn't have to pay for anything in Clemson. Ever.

I

17. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

something something newspring something something funneling money something paying players something something bought dabos new house something something

18. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

Zach Lentz is a guy who has been on the Clemson beat for a while with a couple of outlets. He has early onset Parkinson's that has really done a number on him, and his wife Michelle has been battling incurable cancer for over a year now. It looks like she got word this week that the cancer has returned and spread to her bones, breast, and possibly brain.

19. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

20. Tony Elliott

Tony Elliott
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

21. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I think it's even funnier to read the many Bama fans comments insisting that he's coming home to Bama when they call.

Those people and people outside of Clemson don't understand that Dabo is just a different dude beyond what they see. He's not going to chase money. Clemson is ingrained in him and he in Clemson it feels like. It's weird to explain but it's a perfect match with Kathleen him and Clemson.

I just believe Bama is going to be sorely disappointed one day when he tells them sorry... I'm blooming where I've planted.

#1176 Buzz, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  22. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Goes on to say if they don't get Dabo they'll go after Chris Peterson. Either this guy is and idiot or the ATM AD is and idiot. Maybe both.

23. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Is Hyman still their AD? Probably both if so.

24. Tiger Roll

Tiger Roll
    Expand Collapse
    allergic to jean shorts

Wow. Hall of fame level roasting on this Twitter post. Probably the first time i've ever seen everyone in the comments section of a social media post agree on something.

25. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

26. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Radakovich loves those cheap buyouts for the coaches to leave. Not that I think it matters.

27. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

LOCK HIM UP

tboon6317 likes this.
  28. mbnativeson

mbnativeson
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Am I the only one that thinks 6+ mil a year is absurd? I don't blame Dabo and I understand the market. But holy shit, I am tired of paying a few grand every year so he and the assistants can make millions. I wonder if there is a bubble or if this race will continue?

Clemson327, Adam and NST like this.
  29. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Theres not a bubble so to speak. Unfortunately, "the numbers always work" . We and every other AD aren't operating at a small margin. At all.

30. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It is getting pretty expensive, even for seats that aren't great. There will be a point that people can't justify spending that kind of money for 7 days. We even considered cutting back on the number of tickets we get after the mandatory donation for our seats went up 2.5x just last year and tickets went up about $70 per.

31. RIP Tiger Tails

RIP Tiger Tails
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Somewhat related but does anyone know if Dabo ends up paying for his new recruiting mansion that's being built?

32. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Considering the Bama guy is involved...I doubt it. Bama pays for all Saban's houses

33. mbnativeson

mbnativeson
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I get that and now is the time we can be happy that the IPTAY BOD was so shitty for so long they did nothing so we built reserves that most in the country would envy and we are able to handle our debt.

I am thinking that there is a bubble with the fans that get tired of forking over so much cash to keep up with facilities and salaries.

Clemson is going to launch another capital campaign with a goal of 1 Billion plus in the next 2 years. The University is going to go door to door asking each of us to fund growth at the university and in athletics. At some point do people say enough is enough and find entertainment elsewhere?

34. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

As long as we keep winning at the clip we do I can't imagine people are going to be up in arms.

35. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Ahhh. Gotcha. That is a VERY real possibility. I think we're a ways off from that having any kind of material impact.

It'd be great to take a look at this in about 15-20 years.

As schools such as clemson enroll smarter and more diverse students, you have more and more students either dont care about the sport or are fair weather. We are seeing this now. Students across the nation are showing up late to games, not showing up at all, or are refusing to sit in the upper deck, or leaving early.

These students will be the lifeblood of an AD's revenue stream at some point in the future. Can't imagine them chaing their current consumer behavior to spend more money on a sport they weren't interested in to begin with once they hit 35 years old.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)