The non-sports Clemson thread - I'll park where I damn well want to

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cuwoodchipper, Jul 22, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 40 users.
  1. Doc Louis

Doc Louis
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

2. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I understand, but it apparently wasn't budgeted. It's money that we spent that we didn't expect to.

This article -

http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...udget-hasn-x2019-t-hindered-football-triumphs

lists the 15-16 school budget and spending as follows:

2015-16 fiscal year
    Revenues

ACC Distribution $22,630,000
    Ticket Sales $24,086,000
    IPTAY Contributions $30,300,000
    Sponsorships $5,660,000
    Licensing $1,950,000
    Concessions $1,550,000
    Other $1,180,000
    CAT Withdrawal for Debt Service 1,777,000
    TOTAL (pre-bowl) $89,133,000

Expenses

Personnel $32,868,000
    Scholarships $10,123,000
    Team Travel/Postseason $5,185,000
    Recruiting $1,637,000
    Events/Other services $3,242,000
    General/Administrative $9,212,000
    Marketing/Promotions $5,599,000
    Guarantees $1,728,000
    Facilities and Grounds $3,399,000
    Uniforms and Equipment $1,959,000
    Capital Equipment $1,216,000
    University Support $1,586,000
    Debt Service $10,277,000
    Sales Taxes $1,102,000
    TOTAL (pre-bowl) $89,133,000

3. Papa

Papa
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I thought our bowl expenses were paid back before the money from the bowls are split up among the conference

chewie09 likes this.
  4. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

In the first article, it noted that the CFB gave each team a $2.08 million travel stipend for each team for each game (which apparently didn't count the ACC Championship Game). That means that we were given $4.16 million to travel with. Sounds like we spent a little over $5 million. The article also mentioned that it cost $700K just to send the band to each game.

5. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'm just like IPTAY. I didn't budget for these games and therefore, when that credit card bill came, it wasn't a good day. But I loved the experience of the ACC game and Phoenix and would do it again. Now that I know what it could cost, I'll be better next time.

6. tigerbaitnatl

tigerbaitnatl
    Expand Collapse

Next time will be in Atlanta for the semis and Tampa for the championship. Much cheaper than this year. I did the trifecta of the ACCCG, Orange Bowl and Phoenix and it was a nice chunk of change.

7. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Clemson says banana hoax rumors false
    Rumors that the banana-hanging incident that sparked a nine-day sit-in at Clemson University was a hoax perpetrated by a black student to bring shame on the university are false, according to the university.

Chief of Staff Max Allen responded late Friday to questions raised by students who alleged the university was covering up the truth behind the defacement of a banner depicting African American history.

The university has not released the identity of the culprits, citing federal privacy law protecting students. They came forward to claim responsibility the day after the April 11 incident.

“Any allegation claiming that the individuals who hung the bananas on a campus banner were African American is untrue and that their intent was to create a protest movement is unfounded,” the statement released to The Greenville News by Chief of Staff Max Allen says.

“Clemson University police investigated the incident and determined it was not a criminal offense because the banner was not vandalized,” the statement says. “The students responsible came forward to admit their actions, and the matter was handled through the University’s applicable policies and procedures and resolved.”

The News has submitted a Freedom of Information Act request for the university’s student affairs investigation file, with the names of the students redacted. The university hasn’t responded to the request.

A group of Clemson students sent a timeline of events to The News that includes an allegation that a student who wishes to remain anonymous “claims to have overheard Clemson Administrators say that the student who placed the banana was black.”

The group also questions why whoever hung the bananas wasn’t prosecuted, while a student who posted threatening messages against the protesters on social media was arrested.

One of the students, Zach Talley, said he appreciates the Clemson administration responding to the group's concerns but he doesn't believe the university's statement answers their questions.

"This response does not answer those concerns or offer information that would clarify facts," he said. "In the continued search for the truth we look forward to the possibility of substantive contact with administrators -- something which, as of yet, they have been unwilling to provide."

Allen said the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act prevents the release of student records, including conduct records.

Phillipdn likes this.
  8. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Just let that damn story die, good lord.

9. The Best Alive

The Best Alive
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Agree but they agreed to half the demands in advance which makes me laugh

10. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

You probably don't want to read this then.

Clemson Knew Banana ‘Hate Crime’ Was Probably Bogus, Didn’t Tell Anybody
    Newly-released emails indicate that officials at Clemson University knew an alleged racist stunt at the school was likely a misunderstanding, but then concealed this information and in the process allowed a wave of racial protest actions to erupt on campus.

The mess at Clemson started April 11, when students discovered a bunch of bananas hanging from a banner commemorating black history at Fort Hill, a home once owned by Sen. John C. Calhoun. Within a few hours, before a perpetrator or motive had been found, Clemson president Jim Clements had denounced the bananas as “hurtful, disrespectful, [and] unacceptable.” The school held a forum on its racial climate the next day, and on April 13 student activists who said the school’s response had been unsatisfactory began a nine-day protest action in and around Sikes Hall that resulted in the arrest of five students. Those same activists have used the supposed hate crime to push a variety of demands, which include the establishment of mandatory racial diversity training for all students and staff.

But now, emails obtained via a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request by skeptical Clemson students have revealed that the banana incident was almost certainly just a big misunderstanding, and that the school knew almost immediately but suppressed this fact, allowing it to balloon into a major campus crisis.

The smoking gun is an email sent by Almeda Jacks, Clemson’s vice president of student affairs, the same day as the banana incident. In the email, Jacks reveals that two students had confessed to placing the bananas, and that there appeared to be no reason to treat it as a racist stunt.

“Two students came forward and told [sic] they had done bananas,” Jacks said in an email to Clements. “Not a criminal charge or a student conduct violation BUT Dean of Students has authority to use as a teachable moment.”

“Their claim is they had no idea of pole or banner,” Jacks added. “They were intending to throw in Core Campus [an ongoing campus construction project] due to workers waking them up and decided not to and tried to put in trees and when that failed … Saw pole and tossed them (Nobody will believe that tho our folks think true).”

But despite Jacks’ email, Clemson officials took no action to rebut claims the banana stunt was racially motivated, instead simply announcing that two perpetrators had been identified and that it had been deemed to not be a criminal act. The forum went forward as planned, and student activists occupied Sikes Hall the following day.

The released emails do vindicate the university in one way, though: They are a blow against a theory pushed by some students, who proposed that Clemson’s bananas were a false-flag operation specifically carried out to create a racial crisis on campus. The school has consistently rejected such rumors as totally unfounded, and the new emails give no indication they were lying in that regard.

11. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Not buying the kid's story. Why were they going to throw bananas in the first place? Not eggs, candy , or anything else? And the bananas accidentally landed on a poll? With a black history banner? Sure.the university handled this as well as they could. Imagine the outrage if the university concluded their investigation and cited the students' claim as solid evidence.

12. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

what website is that from?

cause wow it reads like propaganda trying to cover for Clemson or at minimum downplaying the incident

that explanation is laughable

13. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You aren't convinced?

I'm shocked.

14. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

[​IMG]

MedicalTiger likes this.
  15. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

The story sounds too stupid to make up which makes me believe it. If you were going to lie about it you would think you could come up with a better one than that.

16. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

who decides to throw bananas at construction workers?

like, in what world is that a prank

17. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

I'm with you; I don't see the a-peel.

TCJ, Billdozer, Otto and 14 others like this.
  18. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

And if bananas don't work, what's next? Grapefruits? Watermelons?

Seems like a real slippery slope.

Clemson327, brobson and TheWampa like this.
  19. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

If true the bananas would have been free from harcombe, so I would guess apples would be next, or perhaps a chicken Caesar wrap.

I totally get being pissed off at early morning construction after a long night of drinking

TheWampa and Phillipdn like this.
  20. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Sounds like any efforts to curb this behavior would prove fruitless.

Doc Louis, TCJ, OrangeONeill and 11 others like this.
  21. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

The Clemson City Council approved a final reading on Monday for citizens that were selling parking spacing to their private property last season.

The new rule that was voted 7-0 will require anyone who sells parking spaces on private parking for Clemson Football games or other events to get a business license and to clean up the property's trash quickly.

Another measure that got its first reading was for short-term rentals for Clemson Football games (such as properties on Airbnb) to get business licenses and be subject to city inspections.

22. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That seems ridiculous but I don't live there so not gonna pretend to be outraged.

Doc Louis and Tigers like this.
  23. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Lol. Good luck enforcing that. The airbnb is especially hard to enforce.

24. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Clemson students don't have to worry about paying for good seats at football games in 2016.

The school tabled a proposal that would have charged students if they wanted to sit in the lower level of the stadium. The fee would have been $225 and would guarantee students lower-level seats for the entirety of the season.

Upper-deck tickets would have still been free on a first-come, first-serve basis. The student-body elect told the Charleston Post and Courier at the time of the proposal in April that it was like segregating the stadium based on socioeconomic status.

Mind you, that's kind of what happens when a team charges more for seats with a better view.

While they're getting to go to games free in 2016, Clemson students are getting pinched regarding other fees, however. Perhaps some of them would have preferred a football surcharge vs. other ideas?

From The State:

Undergraduates from South Carolina will pay an extra 3.14 percent, or $218 on average per semester, while out-of-staters will pay an extra 4.27 percent, or $700 per semester on average. That translates to per semester averages of $7,159 for tuition and student fees for in-staters, and $17,100 for out-of-staters.

Meal plans will rise 4 percent per semester on average, from $1,860 to $1,940, and housing will go up an average of 6 percent, from $2,698 to $2,865.

25. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Segregation because of socioeconomic status, what fucking horseshit. Wait until they are no longer students and want good seats.

26. mbnativeson

mbnativeson
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The admin, Clements, tabled the idea in the wake of the sikes sit in and the ADs shitty job of rolling out the charges. DRad was pissed that it was killed, but the student ticket fee will likely show up in 17 or 18

27. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

They're building a lot of new things on campus. I'm more aware of the athletic side, but I'm sure that's the case for academics as well. That could and probably should play a role.

Tuition is always going to increase. i wouldn't like it if I was still a student, but I get it. After the increase Clemson is still probably significantly less expensive to attend than some of its peers in athletics and academics.

28. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

SC schools used to have some of the highest in state tuitions in the country, I imagine that's still the case

29. cuz28

cuz28
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Shit, when I was in school, they pushed out a 42% tuition increase. I'm not talking about my entire time there. That was a one year to the next deal. And Jim Bob "carpet bagger" Clements can suck my dick. Fuck him. Fuck his wife. Fuck his kids. They knew the banana deal had nothing to do with race but they let it play out as if it did because they're a bunch of baby back bitches. Instead of shaking recruits hands, try doing your goddamn job of running the university shithead.

30. NST

NST
    Expand Collapse

Seems to me like out of state tuition has more than doubled since I started in 03.

My much younger sister is paying about the same amount as it would cost for her to go to Clemson to go to a private liberal arts school in NC now.

Also it seems like Clemson is a lot more liberal now as far as the student body goes. Guess that might just be the general trend with younger people though?

Socioeconomic segregation would not have been used as an argument against students paying for tickets 10 years ago. Don't think it would have even occurred to anyone.

Tigers and Styx like this.
  31. phil brickma

phil brickma
    Expand Collapse
    Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins
    RCUSA Original

Holistically, the student body is still very conservative - judging from my time in graduate school. Also, (sort of deviating)the Cat Bus routes have changed. The first day of school, I pulled into Kite Hill just like I used to in undergrad, but come to find out, the Cat Bus doesn't even go there anymore. I was scared as I hate change.

32. cuz28

cuz28
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I think its a trend among the young folks now.

Styx likes this.
  33. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

It is a trend that is being taught from a young age in schools across the country. It will get worse. From the companies that write the text books, to the people who set curriculum, to the teachers and administrators themselves, the trend is far more liberal than anything we saw in school curriculum 10 or more years ago.

34. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Michael Nieri, who received his degree in construction management in Clemson’s College of Architecture in 1986, has pledged the fifth Cornerstone Gift to Clemson Athletics. His gift of $2.5 million will go to the development of a new student-athlete academic and life skills enrichment area in the Memorial Stadium WestZone.

“I am so thankful to Michael Nieri and his family for their generous support of Clemson athletics,” said President James P. Clements. “Giving our student-athletes the resources they need to be successful off the field is just as important as developing their skills on the field, and that’s what the Nieri family is enabling us to do with their gift.”

The Clemson Athletic Cornerstone Program is a vital part of the new athletics facilities initiative. With new facilities, upgrades and rebuilds planned for or underway at football, basketball, baseball, tennis, soccer and academic support, it is the most comprehensive change to the facilities of athletics ever undertaken at Clemson.

This cornerstone gift is part of Clemson University’s “The Will to Lead” capital campaign to raise $1 billion to support Clemson students and faculty with scholarships, professorships, facilities, technology and enhanced opportunities for learning and research.

Michael is the president and founder of Great Southern Homes, headquartered in Columbia, S.C. Great Southern Homes specializes in residential homebuilding and built/sold over 600 homes in multiple markets around the southeast in 2015. Michael Nieri and Great Southern Homes was just recently named homebuilder of the year in South Carolina.

“We’re so appreciative of Michael and Robyn’s commitment to Clemson and this generous donation,” IPTAY CEO Davis Babb said. “Their support of IPTAY through this gift will allow for future generations of Clemson student-athletes to continue to achieve at high levels both on the fields of competition and in the classroom.”

Michael is married to Robyn Nieri and they have three children: Pennington, Maigan and Patrick. Pennington received his degree from Clemson in construction science and management in 2015. He’s engaged to Katherine Jaco, a 2015 graduate in civil engineering. Maigan Nieri is majoring in education and Patrick is majoring in construction science. Both are sophomores at Clemson.

CORNERSTONE PARTNERS OF CLEMSON ATHLETICS
    Bill Hendrix Family
    Betty Poe
    Anonymous
    Joe Swann
    Michael Nieri

35. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

Tigers and Grady Jarrett like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)