The non-sports Clemson thread - I'll park where I damn well want to

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cuwoodchipper, Jul 22, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 40 users.
  1. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

After a record year of private gifts, Clemson University is closing in on its $1 billion fundraising goal for its “The Will to Lead” capital campaign.

Private gifts to the university totaled $136.6 million for the 2014-15 fiscal year, bringing the multi-year campaign’s total to $934 million. At the current pace of giving, Clemson is months away from surpassing its goal, officials said.

More than 24,000 individuals made donations in the fiscal year that wrapped up in June. Nearly 23 percent of the school’s alumni contributed, which Clemson said remains one of the highest participation percentages among public universities nationwide.

Highlights of the year included gifts of:

▪ $3.3 million from James Kennedy for a waterfowl and wetlands conservation center,

▪ $3 million from SCRA for the Watt Family Innovation Center,

▪ $2.5 million from Leon J. “Bill” Hendrix, Jr. family and $2.5 million from Betty Poe for athletic facilities, and

▪ $2.4 million from David and Lynette Snow for student outdoor recreation.

Tigers, AC- and Cutig like this.
  2. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

PICKENS –– The defense in the case against the man charged with vandalizing and stealing a chunk of Howard's Rock cast suspicion Tuesday on other individuals seen on security cameras around the time his client was at the scene.

As the trial of 20-year-old Micah Rogers of Pisgah Forest, North Carolina, got underway in Pickens County, the prosecution first tried to establish the value of the brick-sized piece of the famous rock at Clemson University's football stadium that went missing between June 2-3, 2013.

An expert witness who has done appraisals for the NFL Hall of Fame, Baseball Hall of Fame and the New York Yankees Museum, testified that based on the size of the fan base and the importance of Clemson football nationally that the university could have broken the chunk into 1,344 pieces to sell for $100 each, generating $134,000.

She compared the rock fragment's value to other pieces of sports venues, such as the ssections of the basketball court at Boston Gardens or the University of North Carolina and Duke.

"Really, it's a rock star," Leila Dunbar, a former vice president at Sotheby's, said of Howard's Rock.

Defense attorney Frank Eppes questioned how such an object could be given a market value since Clemson has said it intends to never sell it.

Dunbar said she used the same method she uses to appraise objects for the IRS and other legal purposes, whether they're intended for sale or not.

She said, however, that this is the first of hundreds of objects that she has appraised that is the subject of a criminal case.

Rogers is charged with grand larceny of more than $10,000 value and malicious damage to personal property. In opening arguments, both attorneys said Rogers doesn't deny that he was there that night, but he has pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Earlier in the day, George Bennett, the former executive director of IPTAY, Clemson's athletics fundraising organization, told the jury the story of how the rock came to be so valued, from being used as a doorstop in legendary Coach Frank Howard's office to becoming a centerpiece of "the most exciting 25 seconds in college football."

Several members of the athletic department staff told the jury how they discovered that the rock had been damaged and found its case shattered, some 30 feet away.

The Clemson University Police Department found three latent fingerprints – one on the case and two on the rock's pedestal – but they didn't match those of the accused in the case, according to an expert from the Anderson County Sheriff's Office.

No match has been found, he said.

Assistant Solicitor Baker Cleveland showed the jury an 11-minute video segment, shot from 300 feet away by a camera in the upper deck of the stadium's southeast corner, that the authorities used to link Rogers to the crime.

It shows a white truck park awkwawrdly outside the stadium near the Rock at 11:30 p.m.

Three men get out and walk toward the Rock and are not seen for a few minutes. Then, one by one, they walk across the street to the Scroll of Honor, a memorial for Clemson graduates who were killed in military service.

They spend several minutes there and then walk back to the truck and drive away.

Since that time, the university has installed several security cameras that give a continual view of Howard's Rock, but that truck's arrival and the movement of its occupants is the only thing that appeared out of the ordinary in some 22 hours of video, according to James Cowan of the campus police.

The other hours of video are no longer available because the equipment used at the time has been replaced, he said

Eppes pointed out on the video two other male figures who walk up the hill away from the stadium while Rogers and his friends were there.

He showed a clip from a security camera in a nearby dormitory that showed two people entering the building.

"Who are those guys in that video?" Eppes asked Cowan.

"I have no idea," Cowan replied.

Cowan said they could have been the same ones who seen walking near the stadium a few minutes earlier – "or any of the other 6,000 students."

The trial is set to resume at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.

3. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Wow. He's going to get off. He may actually be innocent.

4. Grady Jarrett

Grady Jarrett
    Expand Collapse
    In there like swimwear
    RCUSA Original

:aohhai:

5. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

More....

The vandal or vandals who took away a piece of Howard's Rock from Clemson University in 2013 may have been trying to remove the whole rock, the football facilities director testified Tuesday.

Gary Wade, an assistant athletic director at Clemson, gave his testimony during the trial of Micah Rogers in the Pickens County Courthouse, part of the 13th Judicial Circuit.

Rogers, 20, is charged with malicious destruction of property and grand larceny for allegedly breaking off and then taking a brick-sized piece of the rock.

Wade said the casing in 2013 was lexar, similar to plexiglass, and wasn't intended to stop a break-in. The casing cost between $500 and $1,000, he said.

It appears that someone used a prying device to break through the cover and then try to remove the rock, Wade said.

The missing part of the rock is worth between $32,500 and $65,000 as a single piece or $132,000 if it were separated into 1-inch or 1/4-inch pieces, testified Leila Dunbar, a sports memorabilia appraiser who has been with PBS' "Antiques Roadshow" since 1996.

She said the geology of the rock had nothing to do with it's worth, it's value is all because of it's nearly-five decade history with the college football program.

"This is a rock star," Dunbar said. "There are billions of rocks. It could have been any rock but it happened to be this rock."

The vandalism happened after a youth camp ended around 4 p.m. June 2, 2013, and before football promotions workers officials went to the rock to take pictures for a billboard around 2 p.m. the next day.

"It never occurred to us that something like this would happen," said Wade, the facilities director.

There were no cameras aimed at the rock back then and most of the cameras at the football stadiumwere not available because the fiber optic cables carrying the signals had been cut as part of a planned upgrade. One camera captured the road near the stadium but not the rock itself.

A security system with more and better cameras, along with pressure and tilt sensors for the rock has been installed at a cost of $48,000, Wade said. The rock's new casing, bulletproof glass and metal, cost $9,000 and live security monitoring now costs $1,300 a month, he said.

A pair of rocks was given to Frank Howard, who was a coach or otherwise part of the football program for five decades; one rock was used as a doorstop and the other was loose, testified George Bennett, a former director of Clemson's IPTAY booster club who knew Howard.

Bennett said his son-in-law designed the current black pedestal for the rock, a successor to the old concrete one.

The rock is known throughout college football, Bennett said, especially what Howard told his players, "If you're not going to give me 110 percent, keep your filthy hands off my rock."

When officials first noticed the rock had been broken, Clemson University Police officers took three fingerprints, two from the rock and the third from inside the busted casing.

None of the prints are a match to Rogers, according to Chris Owens, an Anderson County Sheriff's Office investigator who processed the prints.

Rogers and two friends are shown on video surveillance leaving a truck that was parked near the stadium that night.

One of the friends, and Rogers' father, is charged with conspiracy to take the rock; Rogers is not charged with conspiracy. The other friend is expected to testify against Rogers.

The evidence against Rogers is purely circumstantial and the prints don't match, said Frank Eppes, his defense attorney.

The rock, Eppes said in his opening argument Tuesday, is like grandma's fine china.

"You bring it out for special occasions and one day, ka-blooey, it's broken on the floor," he said. "Mom's there, mad as a hornet. She's not mad because the china broke, she's mad because it was something that reminded her of her loved ones."

Eppes said the 11-minute video clip that shows Rogers' truck was part of 22 hours worth of video, from 4 p.m. on June 2 to 2 p.m. on June 3, that may be the only clue as to who broke the rock.

Clemson University Police program director James Gowan, who runs much of the video surveillance on campus, said he reviewed the video right away but didn't see anything.

More than a week later, he reviewed the video and saw the truck parked near the stadium around 11:30 p.m. that night, in a spot that was not a parking space even though there was parking nearby.

"No one else parked strange like that," Gowan said.

The rest of the video was not preserved because it didn't show anything unusual, just people walking and driving past the stadium, he said.

Allowing the rest of the video to be deleted may have erased evidence, Eppes said. Investigators had to go back a second time to the video, Eppes said, because "they had to find something."

Gowan said preserving that much video is not routine during investigations, only the parts that were suspicious were saved.

The surveillance video was erased automatically when the system became full, Gowan said.

"Nobody threw a tape away, this is DVR, it's not Richard Nixon," he said.

The trial continues Wednesday.

6. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I doubt it. The guy who was with him in the truck literally just testified all this ...

Mandy Gaither ‏@GaitherWYFF 19m19 minutes ago
    The man who says he was with Micah Rogers the night Howard's Rock was vandalized just took the stand

Mandy Gaither ‏@GaitherWYFF 12m12 minutes ago
    Xavia Wynn testifying that Micah Rogers went over the fence into Memorial Stadium & then Wynn heard breaking glass & hammering

Mandy Gaither ‏@GaitherWYFF 7m7 minutes ago
    Wynn just testified that the night of the vandalism Rogers said, "I got what I wanted. I got a piece of the rock."

7. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Good now fry his ass.

Doc Louis, Tigers, Styx and 4 others like this.
  8. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The butthurt I've seen from cock fans about this has been great. They can't believe the rock is worth that much. Guess I would be upset and jealous to if I knew a rock was worth more than anything my team is associated with, including that shithole they play their games in.

9. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Did they ever get the guy who attempted to steal it most recently? Cracked the glass on the new case IIRC

TheWampa likes this.
  10. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Hey man, their fire extinguishers and pvc chicken prison cost tens of dollars.

Doc Louis, cut68, Clemson327 and 11 others like this.
  11. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

PVC Chicken Prison just caused me to shoot sweet tea out of my nose. Thanks, Wampa.

Doc Louis, cuz28, TheTigerMan and 2 others like this.
  12. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

yea I am interested to know this

shit turns out we are paying someone $1500 a month to monitor this thing. I don't even think we have video from the most recent attempt.

13. The Guglia

The Guglia
    Expand Collapse
    I work in the City, and I work long hours.
    RCUSA Original

Why is there a poster with the same Avatar as me?

14. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Little sumbitch was just convicted but sounds like there was some issues with jury. They convicted him for a lesser charge where they valued the Rock at less than $2000. He only gets a $750 fine and community service.

His Dad if convicted would get a harsher sentence.

15. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

TheWampa likes this.
  16. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

One of the juror's called in to Walt's show. Said the majority wanted to go for the higher charge, but couldn't get the others to agree. The minority's reasoning was that there was no stated value on the Rock before the damage. So the majority decided to agree to the lower charge to get out of jury duty. He also said they were afraid a later jury would let him get off scott free.

17. Otto

Otto
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

"The minority's reasoning was that there was no stated value on the Rock before the damage."

That is some very poor reasoning. Kudos to the defense for convincing some stupid people of this idea.

At least I know I can count on some local RCUSAers to jump in a pickup and go dispense some real Pickens County justice.

18. cuz28

cuz28
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

There's a reason that the Supreme Court doesn't bring in jurors.

OrangeONeill likes this.
  19. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

In my educated opinion it was likely a shitty job of voir dire by the prosecution. That's where cases are won and lost. They likely (although I'm guessing) didn't spend enough time on appraising items. They could've very easily struck a number of people who are skeptical of appraising.

20. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Judges are not exactly infallible and have the same tendencies and biases that jurors have, sometime more so (they have this whole reelection thing in the back of their mind every day).

fishking likes this.
  21. cuz28

cuz28
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

obviously they aren't in fallible. but i've been called to jury duty a couple of times (never selected, thank god). they tend to pick the biggest dumbasses available.

22. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Electing judges is such a bad idea

23. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I mean you can only ask so many questions. We are given 30 minutes to do our selection. You try to talk to everyone but some people are more talkative than others and some barely speak up. It's the single hardest part of a trial to do successfully. We're certainly not putting idiots on our panels intentionally. You do your best to flesh that out during selection.

24. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

:udoge:

25. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Pffffft. I've seen Runaway Jury. You're obviously a poor if you can't afford Gene Hackman to select your jurors.

26. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I frequently ask witnesses if they've ordered the code red even though it never applies :aomg:

27. Doc Louis

Doc Louis
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I thought it was black pool noodles.

Pretty stupid jury move, clearly the thing was worth more than $2,000 before the breaking. Hell if replicas could be sold from $50-100 then it was worth more.

also bad of the prosecution to not think of the replica howard's rock that was sold at knicerbockers a few years back

#27 Doc Louis, Jul 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    TheWampa likes this.
  28. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Just had some '55 Exchange ice cream. :alickit:

29. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

CLEMSON — More than 22,000 applications have come in so far to Clemson University for next year, and administrators expect to hear from even more prospective students.

Chuck Knepfle, associate vice president for enrollment management, told university trustees Thursday that acceptance letters will go out soon for next year — 2,500 or so for the Bridge to Clemson partnership with Tri-County Technical College and more than 11,000 for high school seniors and transfers who qualify for direct admission.

About 3,500 are expected to ultimately enroll onto the campus next year, and there's room for about 800 Bridge students, Knepfle said.

"The Bridge program is first come, first served, so it usually fills up by March," he said.

Knepfle stood in before the board of trustees educational policy subcommittee for Admissions Director Robert Barkley, who is supervising the processing of the applications received thus far.

The application deadline is May 1 for high school seniors, and transfer students have until July 1 to apply for fall admission. Barkley and Knepfle estimate Clemson will wind up with 23,400 applicants — smashing last year's record of 22,396 — and will start sending out acceptance letters later next week.

President Jim Clements has previously credited recent increases in application numbers to Clemson's rise into the top 20 in national rankings of public universities and other factors. The just completed national title run probably scared up some interest, too, but the football team doesn't deserve all the credit, Knepfle said.

"We give a lot of credit to our sports teams' successes, but not just this year," he said, referring to national rankings for the men's golf and soccer teams and women's tennis and soccer teams.

Graduate school application numbers are off a bit because of rising demand for workers nationally, Knepfle said. He said there's no way to project how many graduates will ultimately want to pursue advanced degrees at Clemson in the coming year.

"Admissions numbers are always cyclical for graduates," Knepfle said. "Economic recovery is driving down the numbers of graduate school applications, but enrollments are very consistent historically."

There will be 700 new beds ready for the freshmen and transfers this fall. Student Affairs Vice President Doug Hallenbeck told trustees that the Core Campus project will be done by August. He said recent rains haven't appreciably delayed crews from enclosing the building and starting work on the red brick facade.

Core Campus, on Fort Hill Street between Death Valley and Tillman Hall, will include some retail space and a new 900-seat dining hall to replace Harcombe Hall. There will also be 5,000 square feet of meeting and academic space.

Clemson trustees will meet as a full board Friday at 1:30 p.m. to receive a report from the history task force created last summer to examine how the university could better represent both the good and bad of its history.

Faculty and student groups want the trustees to remove the name of racist post Reconstruction South Carolina governor and U.S. Sen. Benjamin Tillman from one of the oldest and most iconic buildings on campus. They also want better recognition of contributions from minority students, workers, slaves and prison laborers to Clemson over the last century and a quarter.

The trustees will also review committee work and get updates on the Clemson Forward restructuring plan, the university's finances and construction projects.

30. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

No parking garage? Fuck parking at Clemson. My shit got towed from the University Ridge during the summer because I parked in an area that was supposedly 24/7 employees.. The sign was missing when I parked there.

31. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I could probably just pay an uber to drop me off/pick me up everyday with what I've paid in parking tickets and towing fines.

32. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What's the deal with all the 24/7 employee spots? I used to always park in the small lot next to Riggs when going DT and could always find a spot there. When I was in school I had a faculty pass (psychiatrist that's a fam friend gave it to me) but now I guess I need another one because for big weekends DT parking is atrocious.

33. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Odd.

Chinedu Ohan Fan said: You mentioned in your article a few weeks ago you would have specifics on our spending during the playoff. When will you be passing along that information?

Larry Williams: Beats me. For whatever reason, the AD isn't releasing the specifics to the media. We requested it in mid-January and here we are two months later without the numbers.

What makes it really odd is in early February the AD made presentations on this topic to the BOT, the IPTAY board and other Clemson groups. Yet they don't seem very eager to let the overall Clemson populace in on the numbers.

This isn't normally state secret type of stuff. Been covering Clemson since 2004 and this is the first time I haven't received the numbers promptly upon request. Over the years they've been really transparent with this stuff (as they should be given it's a state school) but not right now.

We'll certainly let you know when we get something on this.

34. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

35. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)