The Movie Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Krombopulus Michael, Jan 20, 2016.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 20 users.
  1. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

So..... Seen any good movies lately?

I figure it'd be too much to do individual threads for each movie we want to talk about, so we'll see how this goes.

I watched Sicario last night and without spoilers, I just gotta say Benicio was badass. Word is that they actually removed like 85% or more of his dialogue in post production to make him more mysterious.

I also saw The Revenant last week, twice. Once while high and it was WAY way too intense for me, I was freaking out a little bit. Then I saw it again with @Tigers on a man date. It was delightful. Will be happy to get into spoilers and/or more thoughts.

Pawpride likes this.
  2. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

My take on some recent ones:

I liked The Revenant a lot. Kind of slow plot, but it was really well shot. Some of the stuff they went through to get those shots is ridiculous. Zero chance it doesn't get the cinematography oscar.

I also liked the Big Short, but I don't know if that's because it explained something I had little understanding of, or if it was a good movie.

Absolutely loved The Martian, but I love all good science fiction. Don't think it's oscar worthy.

Tom Hardy was great playing 2 brothers in Legend, but the plot overall was kind of meh. Wanted more about their gangster dealings.

Concussion was good, not great. Probably would have liked it less if I weren't into football.

Joy was a waste of time, although I'll never regret watching JLaw in anything.

Haven't seen Spotlight, Creed, or The Danish Girl yet.

3. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Watched Hot Tub Time Machine 2 last night and have to say that, while decently enjoyable, definitely not as strong as the first one. Though this one did have some fantastic one-liners. I think the last 5 mins or so were the best part.

Adam and TheTigerMan like this.
  4. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

Honest question, Bill. Why in the hell would you want to watch The Danish Girl?

5. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Idk, people say it's a good movie and I like Redmayne a lot as an actor. The transvestite thing doesn't bother me since I assume that's what you're getting at.

I may not watch it to be honest, I have to be in a mood to watch slow moving movies like that.
    I probably won't watch Spotlight, it looks extra depressing, especially since I'm Catholic :(

6. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

Mainly, it looks like a slow moving niche type foreign film to me, sort of like The Remains of the Day type stuff. I am sure it will get huge reviews and award nominations, but as actual entertainment I just don't see the appeal. The tranny thing is a meh for me also, but the movie itself just doesn't seem like must see material.

To each their own. If you do see it, certainly give an opinion of it.

Edit -- Just for reference, I haven't gone to a ton of movies lately. However, the last three that I went to see were Mad Max Fury Road, Star Wars The Force Awakens, and The Revenant. I loved all three, but then I figured that I would going in. As you can see, not really art type films, although all very well done.

7. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Oh it's Oscar-bait for sure. But I usually try to see any of the Oscar nominees just so I can bitch about them when my favorite one doesn't win. I'll probably fall asleep at least once during it.

Styx likes this.
  8. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

:fistbump:

9. Phil Miller

Phil Miller
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I don't know what Spotlight is about but Rachel McAdams is in it so I'll watch it.

Last movie I watched was Sicario, thought it was really good.
    Also watched Daddy's Home, Creed, Southpaw last few weeks. Creed and Southpaw I'd recommend seeing.

10. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

I may try and watch The Martian tonight.

11. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

It's worth the watch

Krombopulus Michael likes this.
  12. The Guglia

The Guglia
    Expand Collapse
    I work in the City, and I work long hours.
    RCUSA Original

I watched 'The Martian' and I fell asleep.

Other than that, "Once" and "Begin Again" are both pretty good.

13. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

My wife's cousin was one of the whistle-blowers (insert joke) in the Spotlight story. He's played by Neil Huff in the movie.

14. cuz28

cuz28
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

well now i'm interested in this spotlight deal.

what the fuck is it about?

15. cuz28

cuz28
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

also, the hateful 8 was fucking great. saw the roadshow at atlantic station. best movie experience i've had.

got the soundtrack/score at the record store yesterday. so damn good. probably gonna get the oscar.

16. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It's about the Catholic sex abuse scandal and the cover up.

I liked The Hateful 8 but as far as Tarentino movies go I thought it was just middle of the road (not really a bad thing considering what he has put out). I liked Django Unchained a lot better.

17. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

I liked The Hateful Eight.

I definitely thought it was the most Tarantino movie of all his movies. It even had quotes from his other movies. I recognized a few of them. My roommate, who is like a savant with movie quotes, said there was a line in The Hateful Eight that came from each of Tarantino's other movies.

Made it seem very nostalgic... is this his last movie?

Anyone seen 13 Hours?

18. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

He was on Conan a few weeks ago and said he wants to make 10 possible 11 then hang it up.

19. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Watched it last night. Like it.

20. cuz28

cuz28
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

sex abuse scandal? interesting, but not really the pop corn type flick i was hoping for.

and hateful 8 wasn't his best, but damn. that 70mm super duper widescreen was just awesome to see.

21. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Just reserved Sicario (dunno what it's about, didn't look, will blame DVU if it sucks), Joe Dirt 2, and Ant Man on Redbox. That's my rainy afternoon/evening in Chucktown.

Krombopulus Michael and Styx like this.
  22. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Sicario is about some FBI agents trying to take down a Colombian cartel. I haven't seen it but I figure you can't go wrong watching 2 hours of Benicio Del Toro being badass and Emily Blunt looking sexy.

Phil Miller and 19B like this.
  23. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

I watched Ex Machina the other night.

I really liked it. Won't give any spoilers but it twists a ton. One of the better sci-fi/thrillers I've seen lately

19B, cutimbo and Dirty Ears Bill like this.
  24. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Deadpool was awesome.

25. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

can confirm awesomeness of deadpool

Phillipdn likes this.
  26. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

He was just up on the stage after Spotlight won best picture.

Oh, and I watched Pixels and Mad Max: Fury Road this weekend. Now a big Michelle Monaghan fan.

27. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Leo finally got his Oscar. And a long standing O to go with it :ohgosh:

Also :haha: at the Academy having Chris Rock host and a performance of Blackbird in a year they're taking a lot of racial criticism. Not that both weren't great though.

clemsontyger04 likes this.
  28. clemsontyger04

clemsontyger04
    Expand Collapse
    Two Offensive Coordinators are better than 1
    First 38

04 extended family was so close to saying they had a hand in a Best Picture Oscar winner.

29. Codename Duchess

Codename Duchess
    Expand Collapse

Rock was scheduled to host prior to the nominees being announced causing the racial backlash.

30. Papa

Papa
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Thought about going to see Gods of Egypt but the reviews look horrific. Any comments from DVU?

31. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Wife saw it and said it was ok which means it was shit. She says I'm to critical and she likes evrything.

32. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

I don't agree with Rotten Tomatoes on everything all the time, but it does give me a relatively decent gauge as to whether or not i'll probably like something.

It has a 12% currently, and the critic consensus is: " Look on Gods of Egypt, ye filmgoers, and despair! Nothing beside remains. Round the decay of this colossal wreck, boundless and bare"

I'd think it'll have decent vfx but terrible plot and acting. May be fun to see ironically, just to make fun of it..

I saw The Witch this past weekend. Anyone have thoughts? Would like to discuss but don't want to spoil

33. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I think IGN actually said Gods of Egypt has decent acting, but a terrible plot, screenplay, and near SCIFI channel effects.

34. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

Sounds about like it'd be a good redbox rental while high or something then..

Pawpride, DC3 and SackLodge like this.
  35. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

I can't understand how anyone would be tempted to see Gods of Egypt. Looks like pure absolute shit. One of those previews where I immediately wonder who greenlighted that shit that is sure to be a bomb.

Watched Mad Max this weekend mainly because my daughters wanted to see it. It was fine for an action movie but LOL at it being Best Picture material.

u jelly, SackLodge, TCJ and 2 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)