The Autonomous Car Thread - In America, car drives YOU!

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cuwoodchipper, Dec 14, 2016.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 31 users.
  1. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    Dean of Redneck Engineering
    RCUSA Original

Never mind, just saw it was the auto in the other thread. It's a sweet ride, and the Challenger makes a great everyday-car because of all the room.

#176 Clemson327, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Styx likes this.
  2. ACCfootprint

ACCfootprint
    Expand Collapse
    Still rocks "Dabo 2008" bumper sticker

"Just coming for your job and possibly to murder you."

Phillipdn, AC- and 19B like this.
  3. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That is cool as hell.

4. Aaron Nevilles Pet Tick

Aaron Nevilles Pet Tick
    Expand Collapse
    Dabo Wizard
    RCUSA Original

Seems pretty sick at ollies and riding fakey. We should sweep the X-games this summer.

Clemson327, J_E and TheWampa like this.
  5. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

DETROIT (AP) — Intel will buy Israel's Mobileye in a deal valued at about $15 billion, instantly propelling the computer chip and technology giant to the forefront of autonomous vehicle technology.

The deal announced Monday combines Mobileye's market-leading software that processes information from cameras and other sensors with Intel's hardware, data centers and its own software, giving automakers a one-stop place to shop for fully autonomous systems.

"This acquisition essentially merges the intelligent eyes of the autonomous car with the intelligent brain that actually drives the car," Intel CEO Brian Krzanich wrote in a note to employees about the acquisition.

The combination, expected to close by year's end, will allow the companies to bring components to market faster at a lower cost, solidifying Mobileye's leadership position, officials from the companies said.

Automakers and some technology companies are testing autonomous vehicles in California, Michigan and a few other states. Nearly all use Mobileye's software, which reads inputs from cameras, radar, and laser sensors and makes decisions on what an autonomous car should do.

Jerusalem-based Mobileye says it has contracts with 27 different automakers. It also controls about 70 percent of the market for software that runs automatic emergency braking and semi-autonomous cruise control systems that are in cars and trucks on the road today.

Intel's involvement and the big price tag show that autonomous cars are coming in large numbers, signifying a sea change in the way we all get around, said Timothy Carone, a Notre Dame University professor who has written about the future of automation. "Major players are finding ways finding ways to position themselves for a change as seminal as the personal computer revolution," he said.

Autonomous cars will need higher levels of connectivity to the Internet and access to bigger data centers, which Intel can provide, Krzanich said. The two companies also will combine highly detailed mapping efforts. Automakers, Krzanich said, want lower costs, faster times to market and the ability to get an autonomous driving system in one place.

"If you put all of that together, you really get an end-do-end solution for autonomous driving," said Mobileye Chairman and co-founder Amnon Shashua, who will continue to lead the combined autonomous car unit.

In the deal, Intel Corp. will pay $63.54 for each share of Mobileye N.V., a 34 percent premium to its Friday closing price. The boards of both companies still have to approve the transaction. The companies put the equity value of the deal at $15.3 billion.

The deal is the latest combination as automakers and technology firms race to build autonomous cars and for leadership in auto electronics. It moves Intel-Mobileye to at least parity with Google's Waymo, Uber Technologies and car companies for autonomous car leadership, Carone said. The deal also is likely to pressure competitors into signing more deals, he added.

Mobileye, with 660 employees, has been forming partnerships worldwide as its growth continued as a separate company. BMW, Intel and Mobileye partnered last year, and Mobileye teamed up with Delphi Automotive to develop building blocks for a fully autonomous car.

Competitors also formed partnerships in 2016. Ride-hailing company Uber Technologies and Volvo signed a $300 million deal for Volvo to provide SUVs to Uber for autonomous vehicle research. General Motors Co. invested $500 million in Uber rival Lyft Inc. to develop a fleet of autonomous electric taxis.

Google has a partnership with Fiat Chrysler to work on autonomous minivans, and Volkswagen is working with Uber competitor Gett. Ford has invested $150 million in laser sensor maker Velodyne, and it recently announced a $1 billion purchase of budding robotics startup Argo AI.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised the Intel acquisition of Mobileye, which he said was the largest deal in the country's history. He said he's been assured that the company's operations will stay in Israel. "The purchase dramatically proves that the vision we are leading is coming true. Israel is turning into a global technology center," he said.

The combined global autonomous driving company, which includes Mobileye and Intel's autonomous driving group, will be based in Israel, supporting both companies' existing production programs and building on relationships with automakers, Tier-1 parts suppliers and semiconductor partners, the companies said.

Mobileye's stock jumped nearly 30 percent Monday to $61.25 in midday trading. Intel shares fell 2.4 percent to $35.06.

Dirty Ears Bill likes this.
  6. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

My first two thoughts: 1) Israel will figure out a military application for this partnership before a commercial one and 2) Would it really surprise anyone for the first T-800 to be built for the purpose of fighting Palestinians?

budkilmer, u jelly and Cutig like this.
  7. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

I would rather see such technology used by Israel to fight Palestinians than I would have it used to force user Styx into giving up my car and truck and have to ride in a fucking Johnny Cab like Total Recall.

8. ACCfootprint

ACCfootprint
    Expand Collapse
    Still rocks "Dabo 2008" bumper sticker

There's nothing more American than baseball, apple pie, and protecting Israel's continuing existence as a sovereign state.

9. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'll never buy an automated car. They can never force it either

10. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Sure they can. They can jack up the tax and insurance rates that it essentially becomes forced. Then when less than 1% of the population drives autonomous cars they'll just make it illegal.

11. Aaron Nevilles Pet Tick

Aaron Nevilles Pet Tick
    Expand Collapse
    Dabo Wizard
    RCUSA Original

Respectfully signed,

[​IMG]

12. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Won't work. Too many people won't have the money for them and they can't put public transportation everywhere. Can't just tell tens of millions of people they suddenly are forced to be unemployed since they no longer have transportation to work. Now after I'm dead they'll have been around long enough that it can happen but not in my lifetime

13. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Texting and driving is dangerous. Thankfully they didn't charge me with that

14. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Perfectly safe in your automated car.

15. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Anything over thirty miles I don't drive. I can wait to text

16. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

While this could happen, it never will in our lifetimes. The government shouldn't force insurance companies to charge higher rates, and insurance companies aren't going to jack up their rates and effectively limit their customer base. If this does occur, it will likely lead to more people driving without insurance.

Styx likes this.
  17. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yeah insurance rates aren't going to go higher. If anything they'd go down with all the "safe" auto cars on the road.

18. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

So how I never saw this. Anyways I was thinking about automated cars yesterday when I saw the pic of Trump looking dumb in a big rig. He talked about the millions of truck drives out there but did mention automated driving. Pretty much within 10 years almost all interstate hauling is going to replaced with automated drivers I imagine. The tech is already there and on the road in the form of convoys.

19. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

20. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

It's a cost thing. When more and more cars are autonomous and don't crash the insurance companies won't be able to justify charging the same rates for autonomous owners. The cost of collisions will shift to human driven car owners naturally who will be the only ones causing the accidents in the first place. The government won't have to get involved.

21. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Well so far autonomous cars haven't been doing very well at staying in one piece. Competition will keep insurance premiums at a reasonable rate. Not hard to figure out

22. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Citation?

Edit: please don't link an article where 1 car wrecked and consider that proof they "haven't been doing well".

23. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You can easily find it. It's my birthday and I'm not looking it up. Insurance won't be affected as competition and your driving record drives those rates. If you keep a clean record you're rates aren't going to skyrocket just because you like to drive. Someone will gladly take your money at a decent rate. That's absurd to even think. Sure self driving might be cheaper but it won't be outrageous for drivers. Might be cheaper than now since they'll be surrounded by safer cars. Government restrictions would be the only thing slowing down drivers and that won't happen in South Carolina anytime soon

24. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Happy Birthday kyle, please use Uber

25. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Hence why I said it won't happen in our lifetimes, but it wouldn't surprise me if there was a discount for an automated vehicle. Your scenario won't happen until the majority of the vehicles being sold are fully autonomous without any ability for human interaction. If it still has a steering wheel, there's still a risk of human failure, and there would be a discount for having autonomous capabilities similar to a safe-driver discount.

Though it's starting to show more growth now, the purchase rate of EV's isn't jumping as quickly as people hoped. I think it's highly likely that fully autonomous cars will be EV's which will require a huge investment in charging technology and infrastructure over the next 20 years. There's also still the liability hurdle that needs to be cleared.

Styx likes this.
  26. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Clemson327 and TheTigerMan like this.
  27. the great pumpkin

the great pumpkin
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Someday soon your Domino's Pizza could be delivered to you -- without an actual delivery person.
    Ford and Domino's are testing out a specially-equipped Ford Fusion that comes not only with self-driving technology but also an oven. It sounds cool but there is a catch -- there's no one to walk the pizza to your front door and ring the bell. That's what Ford and Domino's say they're really testing.

"How will customers react to coming outside to get their food?" Domino's president Russell Weiner said in a statement, "We need to make sure the interface is clear and simple."

During the testing phase, an engineer and a driver will be in the car -- but the windows will be heavily tinted so customers can't see them. And both have been instructed not to interact with people at all. Domino's wants to see how well customers deal with coming out and getting their own pie from what is, basically, a pizza ATM built into the car.

To get their pizzas, customers will have to enter a number on the touchpad, then a back window will lower, revealing the pizza. Over the next five weeks, randomly selected customers around Ann Arbor, Michigan, will be offered the option of getting their pizza delivered by the hi-tech "driverless" car.

[​IMG]
    Instead of being handed a pizza customers will have to come outside to get the pizza of a warming oven built into the car.

During testing on public roads, the driver will operate the vehicle. Ford is testing self-driving cars on public roads in other places but this test is really about customer acceptance of the technology, a Ford spokesman said, not whether the car can drive itself.

Roush Enterprises, a company that frequently works with Ford (F) on a specialty vehicles, created the built-in pizza oven for the Fusion delivery car. Roush previously helped create a specialized Domino's delivery vehicle based on a Chevrolet Spark. That car also had a built-in oven.

Ford has been using Fusion sedans for some time to test self-driving technology. Experts have said that delivery services will likely be among the first industries to widely adopt self-driving vehicles.

Ford and Domino's did preliminary testing for the human-free delivery process at Mcity, a simulated city environment on the campus of the University of Michigan. During testing on the college campus, the cars were allowed to drive themselves although humans were still were in the driver's seat.

28. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Walk to the street to get pizza delivered? I may as well just cook for myself. This is a step too far.

29. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I can't get fucking delivery. Fuckers can't get in my building and they don't like waiting downstairs while I come down. I don't really eat pizza but other foods I do like deliver just not to me. I'm ready for the time when drones can fly in my window. I can't get sign for packages either until I go to the place to pick them up

30. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The having to pay for my pizza while two people stare at me through blacked out windows is a lot more bothersome than having to walk outside to get it.

Cutig likes this.
  31. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Think about all the places in the hood with shitty roads. These auto cars delivering pizzas will get stuck in giant potholes and get busted up constantly. Those are the types of areas usually ordering shitty pizzas

32. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

No one delivers to the hood.

33. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Worth it to me not to have to deal with an actual person, but hey I'm pretty antisocial. Grocery stores that don't have a self-checkout line don't get my business. The irony is that I'm in sales for a living.

34. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Pizza places do. Drug dealers always have pizza delivered. They don't have time to cook and they can't leave their spot and miss out on sales

35. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce
    Expand Collapse

Where the fuck did you get your evidence to support this generalization?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)