The Autonomous Car Thread - In America, car drives YOU!

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cuwoodchipper, Dec 14, 2016.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 31 users.
  1. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

The internal combustion engine in a vehicle operates at about 30% efficiency. That means that 70% of the energy of a combusting hydrocarbon is lost into the ether. If it just "disappeared", that's that's less worrisome...except that it doesn't. It is manifested in atmospheric pollution, but don't worry, that has no impact on climate.

Cutig likes this.
  2. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I like feeling the power gradually come on. Nothing better than driving a quick turbo car and feeling the boost hit. For me though I'm fine driving slow most of the time. I've driven a Tesla p90 something I believe it was called and they're amazing machines but it's just not the same. Hell my uncle has a Tesla charger at his business across the street so I see a few a week. I love a good rumble and exhaust note.

My post earlier was a poor joke.

3. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

Where exactly is all of this new extra electricity going to come from? Solar and wind power? Give me a fucking break. Maybe expanding nuclear power and building more nuclear power plants is a viable answer, but the Green/Eco nazis will go beserk over that too.

Electrical power has to come from somewhere to power all these electric cars that are supposedly going to save the world. Fire up the coal plants!

gvtiger07 likes this.
  4. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    Dean of Redneck Engineering
    RCUSA Original

Considering how slow the transition to electric vehicles is going to be, it's not an impossible option that the additional power could indeed come from solar and wind energy. EV owners would also have an increased motive to install solar panels on their houses to charge their cars.

5. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Reminds me of the knashing of teeth over the obsoleting of the incandescent lightbulb.

6. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

You're just being intentionally obtuse at this point.

Here, try this hypothetical: replace the ~200 million internal combustion engine vehicles currently on the road in the US that operate at ~30% efficiency and pollute the everloving shit out of the air around them, with 200 million electric vehicles that operate at near 100% efficiency. Let's say ALL of the electricity required to power those 200M electric vehicles will come from fossil fuel-powered generating stations, even though that's impressively far from the truth. Those stations operate at considerably higher efficiency than the engine in your car, and the pollution output is far more controllable.

This stuff doesn't happen overnight, but you act like it's a pipe dream because we've already attained perfection with our inefficient, unsustainable model which relies on an irreplaceable fuel mostly owned by hostile governments. "But if only we'd drill Alaska, our problems would be solved!" Right. That's the solution to geopolitics. You fantasize about a perfect Clemson football model and recruiting strategy. Why wouldn't you apply that passion to something like energy? I can only assume it's because you've tied it to a liberal/conservative battle of wills, which is more than a little weird, if we're being honest. There's far better out there, we just have to find it and build it. Digging your heels in for no apparent reason seems counterproductive.

7. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

[​IMG]

8. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    National Championship Team
    RCUSA Original

Burning coal and oil sounds tough tho, not like that pussy ass wind, and rain, and sun and shit.

9. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Clean air and water is for pussies!

Lyrtch and chewie09 like this.
  10. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Captain Planet was a baby back bitch.

11. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

My air and water are already clean

Styx likes this.
  12. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I'll never understand how the environment became a partisan issue. I wish both parties could at least agree on climate change and protecting our air land and water for future generations.

13. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What's wrong with our air or water? What we need to do is put more research and money into fusion. We get that right and we have absolutely zero energy or water problems anywhere in the world

Styx likes this.
  14. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I can't tell if you're serious.

15. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I am serious. My air and water are damn clean

Styx likes this.
  16. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I'm obviously talking about a more global issue than the water and air outside your front door Kyle.

Lyrtch, Cutig and GobbledyGoo like this.
  17. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Wait you mean Anderson, sc isn't the benchmark for clean air and water in the US or world?

18. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It's the benchmark for everything else so I'm not sure why it wouldn't be for clean air and water.

19. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Ok so that's why we need fusion. It makes desalination feasible financially and solves pretty much every energy problem in the entire world.

20. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'll never understand how the environment became a partisan issue. I wish both parties could at least agree on climate change and protecting our air land and water for future generations. -- Tigerchan

It is and has been a partisan issue because it is a control issue. It is used as an issue to justify more control via more government regulation. By somehow brainwashing a group of individuals, the only way to save the planet is outlawing our power grid and forcing the US into major sanctions. We somehow owe all of this because the US sucks and has no real right to greatness as a world power and is the world's greatest threat to the world.

We own too much, we use too much, we burn too much, we eat too much...

How about Fuck That! We are the best. Make others regulate their shit if we must. Because other countries fuck too much and have to many kids and use too many resources. Other countries, like China however, let us sanction ourselves and laugh in Obama's face.

But you fucks want to hand over billions to Elon Musk because "Clear air and water" which you dumb fucks already have. How about spending resources on water and air filteration technology if that is your passion. But it isn't. You have been completely indocrinated into the religious cult of Ecoism, which is a subsidiary of the Left. The actual solution to anything has never been the focus. Because a viable and actual strong responce by the US economy has never been the goal. This issue has always been about creating fear of bad water and air to gain regulatory leverage.

Funny to me how the Left hates religion, but knows the power of it and creates it in another form.

21. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

None of this makes any sense to me.

22. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

its ok

Styx is crazy

if you did it'd be a cause for concern

23. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It wouldn't.

Quick cliff notes..
    Environmental issues are very political, because the Left use them as regulatory leverage. The whole "clean water and air" thing is used as a massive lie, because that has never been the goal of regulation. The goal is power of leverage politically. We have clean water and air already here, and if that is the goal, the focus should be tech to filter clean water and air, and filter clean usage of energy, not focus and expence on bullshit energy that doesn't produce.

24. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Fuck yourself, lightly and completely.

25. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Styx if don't believe the hard data and science that supports climate change then having a conversation about this is pointless.

26. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You are pretty insane. Tell all that nonsense to the people who could light their water on fire after fracking companies came through. Pull your head out of your ass and try again.

friedskillet and Lyrtch like this.
  27. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Lol. Did clean water and air just "happen"? No, wait...we have clean water and air because corporations care more about the people than they do their bottom lines, and will always do what's best for you, Styx.

Too much government can absolutely be a bad thing. Acting like most government environmental regulations don't serve a purpose and aren't based on scientific research and evidence is just looney wingnut propaganda. Regulations aren't all perfectly aligned or well-intentioned--there's plenty of shady shit out there. But you're out of your fucking mind if you don't understand that the US would be more polluted and unsafe than China if the EPA didn't exist and you left environmentalism to the kindness of profit-driven corporations.

28. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Climate change happens, but has happened since the advent of planet Earth, is cyclical, and occurs over millenia. We are currently experiencing a millienally slow movement and adjustment to our global climate that warms from the Little Ice Age, possible from the Younger Dryas even. And what you call scientific fact are merely computer models, none of which are proven acurate over the short term, none of which prove that human existence influence the model, and none of which are guaranteed.

None of those computer models are "scientific fact". Never have been.

Gore's Unfortunate Truth was and is a lie. He missed his date. He didn't know then. He doesn't know now. It is bullshit, used as political leverage for power. Always was and is.

29. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

:rofl: here we go again, all the 95% of climate scientists are wrong because you feel like they have to be.

30. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Always shitty to know I am a fan of Cal Berkley.

31. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    National Championship Team
    RCUSA Original

Just thought of a plot to a pretty good movie:

97% of the world's climate scientists contrive a global environmental crisis in order to regulate the world into communism, but are exposed by a courageous band of billionaires and oil companies.

#136 White Tajh Boyd, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  32. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

"We have clean water and air here"

What in the fuck

That's like when I was in 2nd grade and asked how there's oxygen in the desert bc there's no trees there.

Cutig likes this.
  33. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Welp, good talk, Russ.
    [​IMG]

34. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

This is fine

[​IMG]

35. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Who likes ice? I'd rather it all melt

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)