The Autonomous Car Thread - In America, car drives YOU!

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cuwoodchipper, Dec 14, 2016.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 31 users.
  1. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Regulators moving forward with vehicle-to-vehicle communication
    Dec 14, 2016

Department of Transportation vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) program

Following its September presentation of guidelines for the safe testing and deployment of self-driving cars, the Department of Transportation proposed a ruling on Tuesday that would advance the deployment of connected vehicle technologies.

The DOT proposed requiring all new cars and light trucks to be equipped with vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) communication technology, specifically dedicated short-range communication systems so that cars can be in constant communication with those nearby, sharing data on vehicle position and speed, proximity and whether any other obstacles in the immediate area pose a threat.

Situations where the technology could help, for example, include determining whether it’s safe to overtake on a two-lane road (potential head-on collision) or make a turn across the path of oncoming traffic. The technology could also tell a car and its driver whether a car approaching an intersection appears to be on a collision course, for example about to run a red light.

Separately, the DOT’s Federal Highway Administration plans to soon issue guidelines for Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I) communication, which will help transportation planners integrate the technologies to allow vehicles to communicate with roadway infrastructure such as traffic lights, stop signs and work zones to improve mobility, reduce congestion and improve safety. Audi has already introduced the technology in its cars, specifically a red light countdown feature.

V2V and V2I communication technology is something the DOT has been considering for some time, because of the potential to reduce the number of car crashes. The technology is also seen as a key requirement for self-driving cars.

The proposed rule will now be up to public discussion. Under the proposal, automakers would be required to equip half of all new cars with the technology within two years, and all new cars within four years, after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration implements it.

2. clemsontyger04

clemsontyger04
    Expand Collapse
    Two Offensive Coordinators are better than 1
    First 38

30 years though :noneofmybusiness:

3. NST

NST
    Expand Collapse

Really don't want to have to pay for that, and to pay to fix that, on any new cars I buy going forward.

Also generally hate the concept of a computer that could override a driving decision I make.

I am a total luddite when it comes to this stuff. Hate to see the way the public has embraced it.

Pawpride, tigerpride, Styx and 3 others like this.
  4. sdtiger9

sdtiger9
    Expand Collapse

Tell me more Uber attorneys: "Uber has said its cars are self-driving, but not autonomous."
    My favorite: "On the first day in San Francisco when people could ride in Uber's self-driving cars, Uber has already acknowledged an incident. A video shows a Volvo equipped with Uber's self-driving technology running a red light. Uber blamed it on a human."

Self-driving
    adjective
    (of a machine) operating without the guidance of a human.
    (of a vehicle) navigated and maneuvered by a computer, without a need for human control or intervention under normal road conditions, as in self-driving car.

An autonomous car (driverless car, self-driving car, robotic car is a vehicle that is capable of sensing its environment and navigating without human input.

Can't wait to see this operating in New Delhi

5. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

Looks like my last new car will be purchased in the next 2 years. Hope I buy a good one. At least I have a good mechanic.

6. OberTiger

OberTiger
    Expand Collapse
    Hearsay

I'm considering buying a Honda Pilot in the coming year. Adaptive Cruise Control + Lane Keep Assist will make those return trips to ATL after late home games much easier.

7. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

We could not be more opposite. I've been counting down the days since this was first announced.

Fucking hate driving.

ACCfootprint likes this.
  8. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

@cuwoodchipper so no discussion on what happens when the car has to decide between wrecking itself or hitting a pedestrian?

White Tajh Boyd, Styx and J_E like this.
  9. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I don't quite get these arguments. These decisions are already made poorly by humans. Teaching a car to make the best decision will always trump the humans quick decision making ability. The important thing will be to regulate how these decisions are made so that the most ethical decision is always made. As long as humans are programming the cars correctly we should be fine.

10. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

The interesting thing will be when they either make driving illegal or virtually illegal by increasing insurance costs or taxes. People will be discouraged to drive when less than 1% of road fatalities are due to computer controlled cars and it's the dumb human behind the wheel that causes the accident by disabling the computer and making the incorrect decision.

11. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

I'm cool with the self driving cars and all, I just think there are way to many variables to control it. For instance, if the power goes out on a redlight, what do the cars do?
    With the vehicle communication with infrastructure, will everything that is within the ROW of the road have to be technologically available to "communicate" with the cars around it. How would you develop something for every obstruction/guardrail/trees to do so?
    I realize this will take years to figure out but just a few things I find interesting in the debate.

I did like the question about the pedestrian. I want to be a lawyer that gets to sue the person that caused the car to crash because of "Human error".

12. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You guys sure do seem to have absolute confidence in computers. Think about how often your GPS signal is lost for a few seconds or minutes, or when your cell phone or tablet or computer locks up and has to be rebooted. What about computer viruses which could target this sort of self driving technology?

I don't want to rely 100% on a computer when life and death are involved. Airplanes have had autopilot capabilities for years and use it frequently, but planes still have pilots. And air traffic controllers are still human beings who use the computers as a tool, but do not totally leave the job up to automation. Why? Because human lives hang in the balance. And planes, while they do have to deal with other planes and weather considerations, don't have to deal with much more restrictive lanes of travel in the form of roadways, don't have to deal with road construction, or pedestrians, or deer and other wildlife, or fallen trees, or any number of other things on land.

When it all boils down, I don't mind using adaptive cruise control, or lane assist, but I want a human being operating that 2500+ lb land missle traveling at standard speed, computer aided or not. The worlds best computer is still the human brain. Likely always will be.

13. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Humans cause wrecks at a crazy higher rate than the driverless cars they have tested. Something like 90% of all wrecks are caused by human error.

The problem is most people think they are way better drivers than the average human and won't be susceptible to those errors. They'd rather trust their own abilities than a computer someone else programmed.

#13 Dirty Ears Bill, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  14. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

They have cameras to see what's coming, it's not just sensors built into every guard rail or traffic light or whatever. So the car would be able to see that the traffic light is out and slow down/stop.

15. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Part of the solution to that problem goes back to the cars being able to communicate with themselves. I would imagine that approaching an intersection would be always include a check to see what the other cars in the immediate area are doing and ensuring the intersection is safely passable.

Lots of kinks to work out but I don't really see a time where some type of user input is not required. What if someone is pulling a trailer or has to go offroad?

16. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Of course the V2V will play a role too, but they're still going to use cameras to see if any pedestrians are in the intersection or if a tree has fallen across the road or something.

Offroad is an interesting one, haven't seen anything on how they'll handle that.

17. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Hey! How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.

18. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

19. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What about when you are trying to turn left out of a parking lot, but traffic is backed up? You're late for work and get fired.

I would have let you out, but my car is an asshole. Sorry.

20. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Fun fact. People said the exact same thing about elevators when they were first automated.

21. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?!?

ACCfootprint likes this.
  22. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Last I checked, I still push the button to tell it which floor I want to go to, and there aren't other elevators in the same shaft trying to get to the same floor.

23. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

But seriously, this isn't being installed on the car in your driveway and activated tomorrow. It's a huge networking project, but once implemented, it'd be silly to claim that humans have better reaction times and decision-making than a computer. Automated travel has been where humankind was headed all along. Do you not watch movies?

Cutig and Lyrtch like this.
  24. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Elevators were originally manually run by an elevator operator. When they first installed the buttons you push now they had to still hire a person to push the buttons in new York city because people wouldn't get on them without an operator.

25. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

26. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

i wonder what crazy new tech i'm going to be super against when i'm old

27. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I like to imagine my little shithead grandkids going "lol you're so old you had to drive your own car!" while wearing Google glasses that tell them Grandpa wants them to shutup

28. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

At least all the cars will understand rights of way at a four way stop and may not block an intersection. It will help keep my blood pressure down because I wont get frustrated with stupid people driving.

29. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Steve Jobs loved the alleged quote from Henry Ford, "If I asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse."

Hey, it's just buying time until they perfect teleportation.

30. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Just watched some shitbag run a red light in front of me that had been red for ~5 seconds, almost rammed the guy in the middle of the intersection waiting to turn left in front of us. I have a serious problem with cops issuing tickets for speeding, unless it's egregious and dangerous. I have no problem with red light runners dying horrific deaths that don't involve hitting other innocent motorists. One of my best friends lost his father to one of those assholes.

Point being, an automated car would have made a far better decision than that dickhole a few minutes ago.

31. ACCfootprint

ACCfootprint
    Expand Collapse
    Still rocks "Dabo 2008" bumper sticker

When we get to the point where all cars on the road are automated, there won't be a need for traffic lights.

AC- likes this.
  32. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Autonomous intersection model going to make you shit your pants as a passenger

33. OberTiger

OberTiger
    Expand Collapse
    Hearsay

I'm an urban planner. This stuff is going to change society. See below:

Lanes on the interstate are about 12-14 wide. A new Ford F-150 is about 6.5 feet wide.

Now imagine all these autonomous cars on the interstate, running 6 inches apart on the front, rear and sides, at 100+ mph. You instantly quadruple or more the capacity of the highways.

That's the far future, but what you're likely to see more immediately are these express lanes and shit they're building in Atlanta being converted to auto-driver cars only in 15-20 years.

In that same time frame cars are going to be able to let you off at the front door and take themselves to a parking space autonomously. It will revolutionize the way we design shopping centers and even entire communities. No need for a vast parking lot in front of Walmart. Just need a huge drop off and pick up line for all these cars.

gvtiger07 and AC- like this.
  34. Aaron Nevilles Pet Tick

Aaron Nevilles Pet Tick
    Expand Collapse
    Dabo Wizard
    RCUSA Original

People enjoy the monotony of driving? Woof. Give me automated cars and let me sleep in the back seat.

The Guglia, CUvinny, AC- and 2 others like this.
  35. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Another cool thing that Elon Musk wants with Teslas is to have your car drive around operating as a taxi and making you money while you're inside watching a movie or eating dinner.

White Tajh Boyd and OberTiger like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)