Politics Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Tigers, Aug 7, 2015.

?

2016 Antichrist voting

1. God King Trump

2. Crooked Hillary

Results are only viewable after voting.
Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 82 users.
  1. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Would love for that to happen also with magazine/clip size restrictions. Realistically though I think the best thing to would be a huge bullet tax. Take inspiration for how smoking was mostly snuffed out.

2. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You don't pay much attention if you think smoking has been snuffed out. Also a psycho can afford bullets no matter how much you tax them and hunters would have a legit gripe considering probably a million people or more hunt for food. Others hunt to protect their land and animals. Can't make it outrageous for them to do that. We need to legalize all guns.

3. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I was with you all the way up to the last line, and then you went Kyle. Why stop at guns? Why shouldn't rockets and grenades be accessible to the commoner? If I can afford an ICBM, why shouldn't I be able to buy one? You can afford one, right?

4. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I could probably get one if I wanted one bad enough. I could definitely get grenades and know someone that has them. I just think all guns should be legal. Only in certain situations are autos more deadly than semi autos. Unfortunately a concert full of people is one of those

5. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TCJ, Lyrtch and clemsontyger04 like this.
  6. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Anything is available. Knowing where to look is the difficult part of it.

7. Byrnes6d1

Byrnes6d1
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

While I support this nothing will ever change gun laws.

4 years ago ? 20+ kids were killed at sandy hook and nothing changed.

8. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

There's 300 million guns in America. Banning any type of gun is a waste of time. There will always be a never ending supply of them. You can craft your own bump stock with little skill. Anything you ban does nothing. If you make ammo expensive people will just make their own. These gun ban people have zero clue how it works. Soon with better 3d printers people will be able to make as many as they want

9. GobbledyGoo

GobbledyGoo
    Expand Collapse

Not trying to be a dick but I take it your response to this is "do nothing"?

I still think there are plenty of ways we can mitigate risk. A full on solution will never exist because murderers will always find ways to kill. To me, the key is how do we lessen the risk or lessen the impact.

Maybe that's too much of an analytical view but I'll blame that on my career path.

10. Equinsu Ocha

Equinsu Ocha
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Saying there is no way to fix the problem is a small minded way to think.

TCJ and GobbledyGoo like this.
  11. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

12. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

No... It's small minded to think you can stop a psychopath from killing people. If we want actual change forget gun legislation and push for mental health reform. Gun legislation would do absolutely fucking nothing. Many people make their own ammunition. Taxing the hell out of that or the like would do nothing. People are already making their own guns and in a few years 3d printers sold in massive numbers to the public will be able to make any type of rifle. Not to mention the 300+ million already out there. Gun crime hasn't gone anywhere in the areas in the country with strict legislation.

13. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Equinsu Ocha and gocams like this.
  14. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    Dean of Redneck Engineering
    RCUSA Original

Point one, you need a psychopath with the skill and equipment to fabricate a reliable bump stock on their own. That lessens the chance of that one.

Also, metal 3D printers are expensive af right now. Again, this economic barrier lessens the risk of it happening.

You don't think the supplies to make ammo would also be taxed on the retail market?

Nothing will eliminate gun violence completely, but if we can mitigate the number of deaths through simple measures, that's worth nothing to you?

15. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Prevent is the key word. There's a prevailing thought that the way we handle mental health is much more of a factor than gun control in why it happens more often here

16. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

also the argument of ignore guns focus on mental health only is made by conservatives who just spent the last six+ months trying to strip mental health funding and historically it's been target #1 of cuts

so mighhhttt be a little disingenuous when you hear a Republican make that argument

normal people want to look at both issues

CUvinny, cuangler and 19B like this.
  17. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Your last point here is actually an argument for federal regulations.

18. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Are you going to tax metal lol? The chemical reaction needed for the ammunition to become active could be made basically infinite ways. Are you planning on taxing the hell out of everything? 3d printers (especially metal) are fairly new. As with all new technology the price drops substantially as it becomes more prevalent. Soldiers going back hundreds of years made their own bullets in the field yet you somehow think we could make that difficult in 2017. Like I posted originally much of this discussion is by those with very little knowledge. It is basically impossible to make it difficult to have/make a weapon. A child with the want to could make weapon that fires and find everything needed and legal for the child to buy in local stores... And no it isn't things they'd ever make illegal for the child to buy

19. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Also many non psychopaths that are just gun enthusiasts or those just curious to see if they can make it have made bump stocks or similar devices. It doesn't take a psychopath. With the internet you can learn to make one any time you'd like. It doesn't take a master fabricator lol. It's almost hilarious. Gun control is just a political tool in this country. The real politics needs to be towards mental health

20. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'm a conservative if there ever was one but I don't agree with cutting mental health at all. We need a hell of a lot more focus on it.

21. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

edit: not even going to get into it

TCJ and GobbledyGoo like this.
  22. GobbledyGoo

GobbledyGoo
    Expand Collapse

I don't know why I'm engaging here but you seem to think no one but a gun enthusiast understands that bullets and guns can be made at home with today's tech. That's a silly position. Everyone understands that bullets can be hand made and 3D printers allows for the making of guns.

You can also make bombs from materials you get at HDepot that could do far more damage than a gun but we don't allow the selling of manufactured bombs.

The point is the more difficult you make it to obtain, the less risk there is of someone obtaining it with bad intentions. And at the very least, increase the odds they are caught/stopped before they cause harm.

Your view about looking at mental health is important but does not have to be the only avenue. By focusing solely on mental health you're taking the easy out that doesn't affect or change your personal life. Maybe we should consider parallel options or we need to just be OK as a country with mass shootings taking place at regular intervals.

23. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Many people reload ammunition which is what I was referring to. Very few people actually stamp their own brass or form their own lead.

Also, no one is saying mental health should be ignored as well. It's possible to walk and chew gum at the same time...

GobbledyGoo likes this.
  24. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You're completely missing the point so let me spell it out for you. If bump stocks are illegal to sell, a psychopath would have to manufacture it. I'm sure he could find one on the black market, but isn't the point to reduce risk by restricting access?

#5764 Clemson327, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  25. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Lmao. What strict legislation? I have a bunch of guns and it always alarms me that I could drive to a gun store, right now, and walk out with an assault rifle in 45 minutes.

clemsontyger04 likes this.
  26. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Takes me a day or so. It should only take the amount of time to ring it up.

Also re the bump stock limiting access would do zero. Again the guy clearly spent quite a long time planning this out and getting everything together. You're being obtuse acting like he would have had trouble having one if they were suddenly illegal. I say that even though I see no reason for them to be legal. Many illegal things are all around us and it wouldn't have bothered this guy at all. I'm more surprised that he was a multi millionaire yet didn't have real autos. They're pretty easy to get

27. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Try reading again. I said in the areas where there's strict legislation. Chicago, DC, NYC etc. In certain areas of those cities the murder rates are basically unbelievable yet guns are illegal

28. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

that's bc they can drive 25min to indiana and buy them there

it's almost like a federal regulation is needed idk

RIP Tiger Tails, Clemson327 and TCJ like this.
  29. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

p.s. if you look at the country as a whole states with more gun regulations have lower gun violence rates

30. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

You are dumb as a bag of dicks.

31. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    National Championship Team
    RCUSA Original

It's time we get back to being a 2nd Amendment country and well regulate this citizen's Militia that's ready to take on the oppressive government at any time. Our forefathers explicitly conveyed that they wanted it well regulated, so let's well regulated the shit out of it.

32. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I don't know if we have any lawyers who post in here, but a friend sent me this last night: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/227
    Seems pretty cut and dry to me :idkjill:

33. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

34. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

a clay travis link

ofc you read clay travis

Lyrtch likes this.
  35. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

Not often, but when it is forwarded to me by a friend or coworker I will always give it a look.

He is pretty much spot on with this article.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)