Official Tech Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Tigers, Jul 15, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 47 users.
  1. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I've never used one personally but the SJ4000 is an Asian company's (not a fake knockoff, just don't have stores here) version of the GoPro and has gotten very good reviews from everything I've seen.
    They're like a third of the price.

CoastalOrange and kylebw7 like this.
  2. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

3. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Would never buy anything from Huawei on general principle. That's literally a spy watch.

#563 u jelly, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  4. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Because it's Chinese company or did you have a bad experience with one of their phones?

5. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Huawei is a joint venture with the Chinese government. They entered into a partnership with Nortel, stole all of their IP - experts said the level of hacking expertise could only be state-sponsored - and then ran Nortel out of business.

In 2012 the chairman of the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence recommended all US companies avoid entering into partnerships with Huawei if they valued their intellectual property AND US state security.

If you want more you can start by Googling "Nortel Huawei" or "Motorola Huawei" or "60 Minutes Huawei". But nah, man, nah. No fucking way for me.

mooser3586, Clemson327, 19B and 2 others like this.
  6. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Dang. Thanks.

u jelly likes this.
  7. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    Dean of Redneck Engineering
    RCUSA Original

The Chinese government steal intellectual property? That doesn't sound like them.

u jelly likes this.
  8. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

9. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

From the WSJ:

Robot developers say they are close to a breakthrough—getting a machine to pick up a toy and put it in a box.

It is a simple task for a child, but for retailers it has been a big hurdle to automating one of the most labor-intensive aspects of e-commerce: grabbing items off shelves and packing them for shipping.

Several companies, including Saks Fifth Avenue owner Hudson’s Bay Co. HBC -0.64% and Chinese online-retail giant JD.com Inc., JD +1.04% have recently begun testing robotic “pickers” in their distribution centers. Some robotics companies say their machines can move gadgets, toys and consumer products 50% faster than human workers.

Retailers and logistics companies are counting on the new advances to help them keep pace with explosive growth in online sales and pressure to ship faster. U.S. e-commerce revenues hit $390 billion last year, nearly twice as much as in 2011, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Sales are rising even faster in China, India and other developing countries.

That is propelling a global hiring spree to find people to process those orders. U.S. warehouses added 262,000 jobs over the past five years, with nearly 950,000 people working in the sector, according to the Labor Department. Labor shortages are becoming more common, particularly during the holiday rush, and wages are climbing.

Picking is the biggest labor cost in most e-commerce distribution centers, and among the least automated. Swapping in robots could cut the labor cost of fulfilling online orders by a fifth, said Marc Wulfraat, president of consulting firm MWPVL International Inc.

“When you’re talking about hundreds of millions of units, those numbers can be very significant,” he said. “It’s going to be a significant edge for whoever gets there first.”

Until recently, robots had to be trained to identify and grab each item, which is impractical in a distribution center that might stock an ever-changing array of millions of products.

Automation companies such as Kuka AG KU2 -0.45% , Dematic Corp. and Honeywell International Inc. unit Intelligrated, as well as startups like RightHand Robotics Inc. and IAM Robotics LLC are working on automating picking.

In RightHand Robotics’ Somerville, Mass., test facility, mechanical arms hunt around the clock through bins containing packages of baby wipes, jars of peanut butter and other products. Each attempt—successful or not—feeds into a database. The bigger that data set, the faster and more reliably the machines can pick, said Yaro Tenzer, the startup’s co-founder.

Hudson’s Bay is testing RightHand’s robots in a distribution center in Scarborough, Ontario.

“This thing could run 24 hours a day,” said Erik Caldwell, the retailer’s senior vice president of supply chain and digital operations, at a conference in May. “They don’t get sick; they don’t smoke.”

JD.com is developing its own picking robots, which it started testing in a Shanghai distribution center in April. The company hopes to open a fully automated warehouse there by the end of next year, said Hui Cheng, head of JD.com’s robotics-research center in Silicon Valley.

Swisslog, a subsidiary of Kuka, sells picking robots that can be integrated into the company’s other warehouse automation systems or purchased separately. The company sold its first unit in the U.S., to a large retailer, earlier this year, said A.K. Schultz, Swisslog’s vice president for retail and e-commerce. Mr. Schultz declined to name the retailer.

Previous waves of warehouse automation didn’t lead to sudden mass layoffs, partly because order volumes have been growing so fast. And automated picking is still at least a year away from commercial use, robotics experts say. The main challenge lies in creating the enormous databases of 3D-rendered objects that robots need to determine the best way to grip new objects.

Some companies hope to speed development by making some research public. Amazon.com Inc. will hold its third annual automated picking competition at a robotics conference in Japan later this month. For the first time, entrants won’t know in advance all the items the robots will need to pick.

At the University of California, Berkeley, a team is simulating millions of attempts to pick 10,000 objects. Funded by Amazon, Siemens AG and others, the project is meant to build an open-source database for use in any automation system, said Ken Goldberg, the professor leading the project.

“With 10,000 objects, I’m surprised how well it did,” he said. “I would love to show it 100,000 examples and see how well it performs after that.”

Clemson327 and cuangler like this.
  10. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

Someone teach me how to VPN. It is my understanding that you can do some VPN stuff with freeware with limited monthly bandwidth, but I don't have any experience with it apart from work functions. I'm using mac stuff here.

11. clemtiger87

clemtiger87
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Wanted to get yall's opinion. As I now live in HK, it is extremely difficult to get the Clemson games other than shitty VPN. As such I am looking for options to watch the games. Is Slingbox the way to go and just hook it up to my parent's cable? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

12. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Watch ESPN doesn't work over there?

13. clemtiger87

clemtiger87
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Nah it is blocked because I am out of the country. No option but to vpn. I have Astrill but it is really difficult to stream so I was looking for another option

14. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I asked this on TMB about a month ago and received no legit response so I figure I will ask it here as well- Does anyone know where you can "jail break" an Apple Watch Series 2?

Long story, short- found the Watch on the sidewalk in NOLA in August. Kept it charged the entire time I was there along with for a week or so after I left in case someone reached out somehow. Nobody reached out. Considered returning to Apple or to the police. Everything I read online said Apple couldn't help and the police would keep it at the station for a certain amount of days and then an office would likely pocket it (my brother in law, who is a police officer, echoed this though made sure to inform me he wouldn't/couldn't ever do that since he is in a completely different division). Erased everything on the Watch.

Would be perfectly happy selling the Watch but I would like to get the Apple ID lock off of it first. Is there any way to do that?

15. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

My damn iPhone will only work on speaker phone. It always thinks headphones are in and I’m stumped

16. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

I just got an iPhone and have no idea what I’m doings

17. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You pick up the eight or eight plus? I pre-ordered the x but now that this one is on the fritz I might have to cancel it and just get the eight plus. I can't take all my calls on speaker phone at work and I don't do headsets

18. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Eight plus

kylebw7 likes this.
  19. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Well, that’s a neat trick. How do time machines work?

20. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Apple isn't the only way to go.

21. Phillipdn

Phillipdn
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I'm looking for a pair of wireless ear phones. My problem is that they only seem to make them with the soft tips that go inside your ear to make a seal and I hate that kind. I don't like not being able to hear anything going on around me. The closest that I've seen to what I want are the Apple Airpods and the Pixel Buds but both of those are a bit steep and the Pixel Buds aren't even out yet.

I bought a pair of Aftershokz bone conduction headphones that do exactly what I want but I've got a big ass head and they can get pretty uncomfortable after a while.

Any ideas?

22. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

This is what I was going to suggest. I have a pair too, they are pretty cool for the technology. I'm sure in a few years these will be the way to go as they keep improving.

23. Phillipdn

Phillipdn
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Yeah they're really neat headphones and it's great that they still let me hear what's going on around me. They just need to be about half an inch longer. I messaged the manufacturers about if they had anything bigger or had plans to make anything bigger and they just let me know that I could return the product within 45 days.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)