Official Tech Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Tigers, Jul 15, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 47 users.
  1. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

AC- likes this.
  2. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You can either get another router and use it as a repeater, or get one of these range extenders. If you get the extender I wouldn't get this one Billdozer suggested though because it's going to bottleneck your C8 bigtime. (It's N300 while I'm assuming the Archer is at least AC1000).

ETA: If you're only using it for the one Roku, another option is a Powerline kit. It's like putting an ethernet jack in your bedroom, but instead of running cables through your wall, it uses your power outlets. This wouldn't be wifi though, it would be cabled from the nearest power outlet.

#527 Dirty Ears Bill, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    AC- and Billdozer like this.
  3. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

I used an amped wireless extender for a while, worked pretty well

4. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

In my defense, I'm stuck with DSL, so it doesn't really matter what I use.

AC- and Dirty Ears Bill like this.
  5. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Waiting on this thing to drop below $200.

6. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Pretty neat. Portable air conditioner that uses the same Li-on cells that Tesla uses. Also has an LED light, Bluetooth speaker, and 2 USB charging ports.

mooser3586, Tigers, kylebw7 and 2 others like this.
  7. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I use the power line adapters to have a second wireless router acting as an access point in my house. Would highly recommend the power line adapters if you don't want to run cable throughout the house.

CUpigpen12 and Dirty Ears Bill like this.
  8. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Probably going to be a while. They seem to be having pretty good success at current price rate. I've heard great reviews about them.

9. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I agree, using repeaters/extenders would cause some speed loss, whereas I get none through my powerline run.

I'm assuming yours are on two different circuits as well? I've seen conflicting reviews on it, and I know the one I bought recommended they be on the same circuit, but mine works fine.

10. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yeah, they are different circuits. My main router is in the basement and the other being used as access point is on main floor. Never had any issues with them.

11. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Is the MB down for anyone else?

12. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

It's back up since yesterday evening

13. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

14. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It's been down all day long. The past few days I've felt like...

[​IMG]

TheTigerMan likes this.
  15. AC-

AC-
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Looks like the mobile site is working fine but if I try to go to it on my desktop it won't work.

16. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Looks like their DNS is fucked up. Try just going directly to their IP address: 69.175.75.130

17. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

So I got a pixel phone. It's awesome by the way. I want to make a Clemson themed Google live case. I'm looking for some suggestions. Anyone have any cool high resolution Clemson photos they could share?

clemsontyger04 likes this.
  18. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Playstation Vue update, still love it. Also they support watching on PC now too via their website. Performance on PC seems poor though.

tboon6317 likes this.
  19. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

2 things:

- anyone have experience with home automation? If so, if love to hear about your wins and regrets.

- building a house. Anything tech related I should think of?

20. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Put in everything you could possibly think of as it's being built. Much cheaper and much easier. Having a condo in a building built over 100 years ago I've had to spend a fortune on wiring and having shit installed. Next place I buy I'm definitely having built. I'd do built in speaker system throughout the house that can both play music and act as an intercom system. Cheap if done during build. Very nice to have music capability and doorbell intercoms in bathroom

Other stuff is probably fairly obvious. Figure out where you want your TVs and have power and cable installed directly behind where TV will be mounted. Go with programmable tstat. Install automated blinds in bedrooms. You can set them up to open at certain times and it's nice for waking up on days you can sleep past sunrise.

Not sure your budget but heated floors in places like the master bath are god tier amazing

CUpigpen12 likes this.
  21. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Don't have any myself but I did some consultant work with Comcast a couple years ago working with their home security and automation services. Wrote some software for controlling the thermostat and lights remotely as well as viewing security/baby cameras.

Shit was cool but didn't see a need for it personally outside of thermastat control so I can turn the air on before I get home from a business trip.

CUpigpen12 likes this.
  22. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

IMG_0586.JPG IMG_0580.JPG Thanks fellas. This is current state so we still have some flexibility.

#547 CUpigpen12, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  23. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Cat 6 or cat6a ethernet to every television receptical . or if you want to go big money , cat7 but there really is no reason for that

24. rdoanecu

rdoanecu
    Expand Collapse
    Tigers, Titans, Grizzlies
    First 38

Anybody have a TYT invite by chance? Can trade an IPT invite. Use a seedbox and have a great ratio on IPT. Thanks guys.

25. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

TYT doesn't do invites. They just open sign ups once every year or two

rdoanecu likes this.
  26. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'll post in here if I see them open it up again. In the meantime I think you should be able to go ahead and sign up for their forum.

Won't do much good for downloading, but they post in there when they're planning to open signups again

Is there a particular game you're looking for?

rdoanecu likes this.
  27. rdoanecu

rdoanecu
    Expand Collapse
    Tigers, Titans, Grizzlies
    First 38

Thank you sir. I am also following them on Twitter and their sub reddit so hopefully I'll know as soon as registrations open up.

I went to their site but I didn't see a link to their forums. And the link to register on the main page says registrations have maxed out. Do you have a link?

There are a bunch of games I want to watch. Didn't have a chance to see a lot of the big ones this year being in Clemson for games. However I can find most of them on WatchESPN. However, I'd just rather have a local copy/watch through Plex so that's why I want to get on TYT.

28. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

IMG_0961.JPG IMG_0960.JPG

Ended up with a couple of likes on this old post so thought I would update progress.

#553 CUpigpen12, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  29. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

30. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It's right at 2,000 sq/ft and about $180/sq ft because my wife has expensive tastes. In good news, the one beside me just listed at 1.2M so I should be in a good spot if we end up needing to flip it.

Keywan1474 likes this.
  31. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You must be in a high end location, jeez

32. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It is a desirable location, yes. We are moving there because an opportunity presented itself, the schools are great and we feel like we can be somewhat protected if the bottom falls out.

Keywan1474 likes this.
  33. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I bought a fire tv box and added ares wizard and the pulse build. What can I add to watch cbs and abc and the espns. Sports devil is on there but I'm not real sure how good it is.

34. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Can anyone recommend a decent, inexpensive camera like a GoPro or similar? Have a couple of trips coming where we will be on the water and doing some snorkeling, etc and am not a big camera guy but would like to get some underwater video without investing big $$.

35. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

[​IMG]

Cheaper option but still matches the GoPro's ability to play with the ISO, shutter, and aperture

CUvinny likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)