Official Tech Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Tigers, Jul 15, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 47 users.
  1. AC-

AC-
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I think I'm going to try this:

Charter- $20 (taxes included) for streaming of local channels and $60 for internet (already paying that)
    Vue- $35 for ESPN, ESPNU, NBCSports, local Fox Sports

So that will be $115 compared to the $170 that I'm paying right now.

I would just do the Charter $30 package but Vue gets so many more channels plus DVR.

2. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

Very interested in this.... would you recommend it? Does everything run through the Spectrum app? Can you chrome cast it or roku only?

You can pm if you want but I figured others might be interested as well

3. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yeah, your Charter login will work in the app. The only drawback is that you only get ESPN. No 2, ESPNU, etc. You do get ESPN 3 streams as well.

I would recommend simply for HBO and ESPN. I rarely streamed anything live through Spectrum. I have only used it through Roku so I'm not sure how well it would work with Chromecast

gvtiger07 and u jelly like this.
  4. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

Just want to make sure I'm using the Charter verbiage correctly when I talk to them..this is called the Spectrum TV app right? Looks like you can download the app but I guess then you have to sign up for the service after downloading the app.

5. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yeah, it's the same app that a normal Charter cable subscriber would use. As far as I know, you have to sign up by calling them. They don't advertise the package much and after I signed up, it took 2 or 3 days before the service started working.

statebird likes this.
  6. JocasseeTiger

JocasseeTiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Mine is in a 1 story attic but it really depends on your specific location. Are you near a bunch of hills? Large trees? Too many things to take into consideration. But for 50 bucks, you can try it and see if it works. I put it on a table in the den and it worked better than my walmart flat antenna and picked up a couple more channels. If it doesn't work any better, send it back.

statebird likes this.
  7. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Anybody have any experience with signal boosting? I would like to setup my tool/office trailers with these to help get a signal inside the office portion of the trailer. Both are just your standard 48' van trailers.

8. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

As in cell phone signal? We used to use one at the house we rented out in Central, it wasn't mine but it was pretty straightforward. Got it from ATT, hooked it up to the internet, they walked us through setup.

9. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yes, cell phone and data usage. Thanks

10. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

This is kind of what I do for a living. Are these things mobile?

11. JocasseeTiger

JocasseeTiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Can you boost mobile signal without having a wired internet service?

12. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Yes. If you've got decent service near a window or in the attic you can buy an antenna specific to the frequency band you're trying to use and put it in the attic or near the window. You can then place another antenna in the area where you're having issues, and then connect the two with a coaxial cable.

A couple of things...if the area you're trying to cover is, say, 100' or more away, this may not work so great because of the signal loss over the cable. If you have multiple areas to cover you will need a splitter which will drop your power a bit. If either of these is the case you could buy a bi-directional amplifier, but those get pricey.

Also, strictly speaking, this is illegal without a written rebroadcast agreement from your wireless provider.

13. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

Anyone gone from Windows 7 to Windows 10? The free upgrade ends at the end of the month and I haven't made up my mind yet. Read the reviews and opinions online, but I'd like to get the opinion of users who have actually done the upgrade and any pros/cons you experienced.

14. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I have, love Windows 10. Upgraded all 4 of my computers to it.

The pros are it has some performance upgrades (it's faster, better handles SSDs, it has DirectX 12), additional features like a comprehensive search and desktop notifications, it has Cortana if you're into that (I don't use it), and it's better optimized for touchscreens without being the PITA that 8 was (I don't use touchscreens either though).

Cons are that it forces you to install updates unless you're willing to do a lot of registry editing. Kind of forces you to have a Microsoft account and monitors a lot more of your activity if you're weird about that (a lot of people freaked out about this but I can almost guarantee you Google has been doing it to you for years).

15. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Holy shit, DirectX is still around?

gvtiger07 and cuangler like this.
  16. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

I upgraded, haven't had any issues whatsoever on my PC or the older laptop I have.

gvtiger07 likes this.
  17. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Notsureifserious but yeah, it's still what Microsoft uses for video/gaming support and is why virtually all PC gamers still use Windows. You just don't have to manually install or update it so you don't realize you have it.

Hell even XBox uses it.

gvtiger07 and cuwoodchipper like this.
  18. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Windows 10 owns, i get the privacy concerns but it isn't any worse then all this google has on me.

gvtiger07 likes this.
  19. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Sick of waiting for the mid level cards to come out. Bought a GTX 1070 today.

Dirty Ears Bill likes this.
  20. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I actually panicked and canceled the ASUS 480 last week. Regretted it because I've had trouble finding the one I wanted ever since (XFX with backplate).

Bought a 1060 today :haha: Sorry AMD. I really like that they run cooler (I bought one with dual fans) since my computer doubles as an always on seedbox/media server.

I had a $25 discount so worked out to about the same price.

21. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Nice. My 1070 came today. Installation was terrifying, my computer apparently is having some issues.. took forever to boot up after I put in the card. I was afraid it was fried or something. After ~15 minutes it finally decided to load so I could uninstall my old drivers (may be the reason it was fucking up) and install all the other software. Found out my DVD drive is busted, so that's fun too.

This card is absolutely incredible. I have never owned a current gen graphics card before, and now I bet this thing will last me 10 years. Overwatch on ultra is pretty nice, I just need to find some other games to try it out with. Did a 3dmark benchmark before / after installation. Went from 2714 to 11647.

22. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Battlefield 1 comes out late October. I bet it will look great on it. I was playing the alfa on ps4 and it looked great. I can only imagine what your pc will do.

Cutig likes this.
  23. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Really looking forward to that one for sure. The rest of my PC is pretty outdated.. just recently bought new RAM and now the gfx. The rest of it was purchased ~ 5 years ago. Next on the list is a new mobo / processor but that is a much bigger job than just plugging in a new card.

How'd you get into the alpha? I'd love to play that one early

TheTigerMan likes this.
  24. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That's awesome. This will be my first time having a current gen video card as well. With 16GB of RAM, a Samsung SSD, and a Xeon processor, my computer is gonna fly.

My next purchase will have to be a monitor upgrade since these things can handle 1440p. I don't even have a 1080p one right now.

25. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Google Battlefield insider and fill that out. They will chose from those people for the beta also which will be near the end of summer some people think. Nothing confirmed.

Cutig likes this.
  26. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

How is everyone liking PS Vue now? I wish I hadn't waited til now to really consider it, but I'd like to cut the cord as well. Sounds like I can get all of the ESPN channels I would really need to catch all of our games, and I could spend a little more money per month whenever I like to add more regional Fox broadcasts. Otherwise, I should be fine using WatchESPN to catch anything that is airing on ABC locally.

I have a PS4 in the basement and a PS4 in one of my daughters' rooms. Sounds like I might not be able to watch tv simultaneously on those if I am understanding the service correctly. Please let me know if I am mistaken there.

27. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Loving it, watch it a lot more then I thought I would.

You are correct, you can use 1 PS4, 1 PS3, and 3 other devices at the same time. It's a weird restriction

28. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Am I on point with regard to watching college games?

29. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The $35 package has all ESPN channels, Fox and Big 10 network which should cover any game except those that are on Fox and CBS. WatchESPN has all the ABC national games but I think it will blackout Raycom games if they are in your local area. Would need a digital antenna for SEC on CBS and whatever Big12/Pac14 games Fox shows

tboon6317 likes this.
  30. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Just get normal cable. I have every channel you can get on charter, NFL package, the upgraded internet, and 3 DVRs and with tax it's only 162. I pay for a home phone but don't have it hooked up. By the time you pay for Internet and a streaming TV service you're getting close to 100 bucks with a shit TV experience. I let a buddy use my info for hbogo. He let's me use his Netflix and Amazon prime

31. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'm probably going to end up going that route. Internet + ps4 + vue is probably pretty damn close to just having the cable hooked up in my apartment.

32. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Maybe it's an Anderson vs large market thing. I pay $240 for cable+HBO+fast internet+home phone (somehow cheaper if I just include the stupid landline). No NFL package (assume you mean Sunday Ticket) and have 2 DVRs.

33. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That's about what I am paying at the house. New subs are a whole lot cheaper. I'm about to get rid of it there though. Have been putting in a lot of work at the condo and am here full time for the most part.

34. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

I'm in Greenville, when I moved I called Charter 3 times and got 3 different rates quoted to me. Luckily the third was the best, I asked how her rate was better than the previous time and I don't remember the specifics but she basically said never use a 3rd party to contact charter. Basically Duke Energy had sent me through to a customer service center for Charter that was in St Louis. Those people had the deal that includes phone, I think for $129/month. The girl I talked to was in Greenville and she said she had access to better rates. I assume she was telling the truth on all that but the rates were in fact about $20/month better.

I made her repeat the charges, fees, and estimated tax three times because I didn't believe her. Got my first bill and it actually came out less than her estimate because tax was lower.

Round about way of saying I pay $106 for cable/internet for 12 months, one DVR and one digital receiver. She waived the DVR fee and gave me $40/month in discounts. After 12 months my discount reduces to $20/month so the second year is $126/month. I'm in a two year contract but I'm okay with $126/month the second year for the convenience of it. May cut the chord sometime after the first 12 months depending on what deals are announced, I think ABC/CBS are talking with YouTube about live streaming.

kylebw7 likes this.
  35. AC-

AC-
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What is the best way to boost the wifi signal in my house? My wireless router is an Archer C8 so I have a really good router but it is set up in my office which is across the house from my bedroom where I use a roku to watch tv.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)