Official Tech Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Tigers, Jul 15, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 47 users.
  1. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Do you get Watch ESPN with Vue? At this point that's the only reason I'm sticking with Sling TV.

2. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Android support went live yesterday. Signed up for the trial and have been playing with it. The tablet and phone app are really good. The PS3 app is laggy as hell though. Also I can't get it to chromecast to my Android TV but that may be my router, for some reason Comcast Business routers have issues with chromecast.

Yes it does and I believe it can stream multiple instances of ESPN3 too unlike Sling but haven't got a chance to test it yet

3. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

Wait, the wife has been on me to cut the chord switch to Sling, would that be a bad idea?

4. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    National Championship Team
    RCUSA Original

I haven't signed up for either but have looked over both options pretty well. PS vue looks to be a much better value. Not only in channels, but you can have multiple simultaneous users on the same network/ip. And Vue has something similar to DVR where programs you choose can be available on demand for up to 28 days. Will be trying Vue soon.

5. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Vue is better from my testing. Better channels and picture quality. The only thing I like about Sling is that it has a PC client.

6. DC3

DC3
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Anybody else running around playing Pokemon Go? So much nostalgia

AC- likes this.
  7. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Hell with it.

#462 Buzz, Jul 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  8. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Been trying to find a new RX 480 since they released. Newegg finally had some in stock today.. went out of stock while I was entering payment info. Fuck I'm pissed.

9. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

We are same. I've been debating waiting on the aftermarket cooled ones to come out but I know as soon as I find a reference one in stock my willpower will fail me.

10. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Nvidia announced the 1060 last week, its going to be slightly more powerful then the RX480 and only 50 bucks more. Should be able to get all these cards by the end of the month.

I really wanted to go ATI this generation, hope they announce an upper mid range card soon.

11. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Anyone have a Ring doorbell or one of their stick up cameras? Would you recommend? Looking at options for outside camera systems for new home.

12. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I saw the 1060, but I'm tired of waiting on new cards to come out. Once it's out will we have to wait another month before it's in stock anywhere?

And there's no guarantees it will be above the 480. Until the NDA got lifted, everyone was saying the 480 would be at the GTX 980's level.

Cutig likes this.
  13. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What I read about the 1060 seemed to hint at it being about half of the 1080 performance, less video ram too. Probably going to stick with the rx 480. Been in the market for months, but decided to wait on the rx 480. Getting too impatient at this point to wait for the 1060 release and then wait for it to actually be in Stock. Especially if there isn't an incredible difference between the two, brand loyalty will win it for amd.

14. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

They announced their higher end level cards will be out next year I think. This summer was then trying to pull the mid grade market with the 460-480.

15. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

clemsontyger04 likes this.
  16. clemsontyger04

clemsontyger04
    Expand Collapse
    Two Offensive Coordinators are better than 1
    First 38

17. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

18. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

19. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Sorry to ask more cord-cutting questions, but since hearing Sling is glitchy I'm thinking of cutting and going to Vue. I have some questions for those that have switched. I lose my cable discount in Sept so I'm getting close to making the move (FYI I'm thinking about either the Access plan or the Core plan to get ESPNU).

1. Are ABC/NBC/Fox on-demand only or are they live?
    2. How would I get CBS?
    3. I have a PS3, does it work okay on this "dated" device?
    4. Does the DVR service work okay with the PS3 (I assume so since it's cloud-based but making sure)?
    5. Would Charter's basic internet package be enough to stream without buffering?
    6. If I have two tv's, one with PS3 and one with Roku, can I watch Vue on both at the same time

Bonus question: This seems like a pretty damn good deal, am I missing something or is this basically going to kill cable?

20. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

With all the excitement of Prime Day, I'm interested in getting the wife a new laptop. Admittedly, I haven't looked at computers in forever and really don't know what direction to go right now. I think the last laptop I bought was an Asus back in 2009, which has crapped out.

I just need something to surf the web, diddle around with family pics, and can be taken on trips and such. No business usage at all.

21. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Dumb question, but can't you do all that with a tablet?

22. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Well - looking back, I guess business usage was a poor way to word my intent...she's a teacher, so she answers emails, plays around with Word and Powerpoint from time to time, etc.

Is a 2 in 1 the way to go? I occupy my work laptop 99% of the time, and when I'm home I pretty much control our iPad. Just want something that is a "do it all" for her.

#477 mooser3586, Jul 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
  23. CUvinny

CUvinny
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

1) On-demand unless you live in certain supported areas I think (like NYC)
    2) They have their own streaming package I think. Or just get an digital antenna
    3) Yes but can be a little laggy at times
    4) DVR works great. It is network DVR so just set it up the show as a favorite and watch on any devices unless the channel is mobile restricted (android phone/tablet)
    5) Probably, would suggest at least 15 mbs
    6) Yes. You can have 1 PS3, 1 PS4 and 3 other (ios, android, ruko) streaming at a time. You can also use the PSN login get on websites like WatchESPN or USA

statebird likes this.
  24. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

My problem is the local channels, I'm in Greenville so it sounds like a antenna won't get ABC which sucks due to the live sports they have.

Not sure of a work around for that other than having a WatchESPN login from someone in Columbia but even then I'd think the national ABC sports would be blacked out on the app.

25. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

It's making me pretty mad that ABC/local channels, the 4 that are supposed to be free, are preventing me from cutting cable. Looks like Greenville isn't one of the cities that can use the ABC app to live stream.

People with antennas in Greenville, what local channels can you pickup?

Is a site like this going to get shut down at any moment? I also assume it's illegal.
    http://www.zoptv.com/live/abc

26. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Do NOT get sling. It blows and is super glitchy. I had it for two weeks before getting rid of it

statebird likes this.
  27. JocasseeTiger

JocasseeTiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The ABC station for Greenville is located up near Hendersonville. A regular antenna probably wont pick it up but a long range antenna would. I bought this one and mounted it in the attic. Works awesome.

statebird likes this.
  28. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Bought one. 2 left.

29. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Gone. Fuck.

30. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I've seen people saying this a lot lately and maybe I have just been lucky but my Sling has been working pretty perfectly. It's not the most user friendly system but no problems with the stream once I pick a station to watch.

31. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

One story or two story house? Or does it not matter if it's in the attic

Also, I assume you get the other local channels

32. JocasseeTiger

JocasseeTiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It's all about height. The attic is the highest place to mount it no matter the number of floors. You can also mount it on top of the roof or on a pole, but then you are supposed to ground it. That seemed like too much work when the attic worked fine.

33. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Yeah I get that but wondering how high your antenna is.

I assume you get the other local channels too with it too? Making sure it's not a special setup to pull that one out of town signal

34. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

When I cut out satellite, I signed up for a streaming package that Charter offers. It's close to $30 after tax and included a free Roku 3 and no contracts. I had to cancel after a few months because we moved. You have to have Charter Internet as well to use it but it includes all the local networks to be streamed. You get around 25-30 channels total including ESPN. You also get to choose between HBO or Showtime. Was a decent deal. Mobile app isn't great and you can't stream most channels from it unless you are on you home wifi. You are able to login to channels apps though and those work anywhere so HBO Go and ESPN were fine away from house. I currently have Sling just for ESPN access and agree with others that it's apps suck. It's not as bad on a Roku though.

TheTigerMan likes this.
  35. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Did that Charter streaming package include WatchESPN?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)