Official Tech Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Tigers, Jul 15, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 47 users.
  1. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

I checked a few times during the day but it looked like a waste of time

Anyone find anything good? I never saw that 4k tv bundle or the $115 40 inch TV

2. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Apparently both the TVs went lightning quick. Signed up for the waitlist for the fire stick, other than that it was extremely lackluster. If anyone is into the sous vide cooking, the ANOVA unit is on sale.. not by a whole lot though.

3. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Bought the fire stick to watch the first 2 games on TV instead of an iPad

clemsontyger04 and Cutig like this.
  4. theCountryGentleman

theCountryGentleman
    Expand Collapse
    I feel like I'm on a spaceship...
    RCUSA Original

Anyone have thoughts on:

Roku vs Amazon Fire? Going with sling soon and my Apple TV doesn't cut it with sling.

Also, Mohu Leaf antenna vs AmazonBasics version of the leaf? I'll hang up and listen...

5. clemsonswag

clemsonswag
    Expand Collapse
    Habitual Field Rusher
    RCUSA Original

Got a Fire Stick. Not really in the market for a tv but the 55" 4K Samsung for $1000 seemed like a good deal. Haven't seen anything else worth spending money on.

6. Raggy

Raggy
    Expand Collapse
    MVP: Most Valuable Pizza eater
    Staff Member First 38

I really like the Fire. I want to try Sling but I'm scared :asad:

theCountryGentleman likes this.
  7. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

I was looking at sling tv but heard alot of people are having issues with it

I want a la carte channel dammit

8. AC-

AC-
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Love my roku. Never had an issue with it.

9. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I just got a slingbox a few months ago, mainly for when I was in a place where I couldn't watch a Clemson game, so I haven't used it much yet. Seems to work fine though as long as there's a strong wifi or network signal. You're fucked without those, obviously. Also annoying that the app is $15, and I had to pay it twice for iPhone and iPad. Pretty much a dick move, but it works.

10. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    National Championship Team
    RCUSA Original

Bought a 16,000 mAH portable usb charger (~70% off)
    Splashproof / floatable (we'll see) bt speaker 44% off
    i3 Chromebook for my parents 43% off

11. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Slingbox and Sling TV are not the same thing.

Phillipdn and kuch like this.
  12. TheKing

TheKing
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I have a ROKU2 and have had SlingTV since February. For $27 (sports extra package) it's a good price to access to the common sports channels. You do get access to Watch ESPN through SlingTV account. The main drawback is the service can only be used on one device. The mobile app is useful. I have had some issues with it freezing but I don't know if it's the Roku or SlingTV.

#12 TheKing, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    theCountryGentleman likes this.
  13. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

have a roku 3 and some chromecasts

love the roku and use is basically all the time

use the chromecasts sparingly in the other rooms but for $24 they are awesome

14. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Oh.

How much was the USB charger, btw? I got one for $40 awhile back...70% off of that would have been nice.

15. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yeah, Sling TV is a parsed down standalone streaming TV service you play through an existing media device (roku, fire stick, etc.)

Charger was 23 and change. Should theoretically be able to charge an iPhone 6 six times on one charge.

16. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Tell me more about this SlingTV...I can get ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc, with it? What other channels? I would love to tell DirectTV to go fuck themselves, but I need football in the fall.

17. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Tigers likes this.
  18. TheKing

TheKing
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

https://www.sling.com/package Base price is $20 add extra packages to get certain channels.

19. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yes with base package ($20) and sports add on ($5), and you get Goal Line, SEC Network, and Watch ESPN access. Right now you can get a free Roku Stick or 50% off a Roku 3 or Nexus player for signing up.

https://www.sling.com/

It's streaming only though, no DVR, and only one device at a time.

u jelly likes this.
  20. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Already have the roku. May ditch direct tv this weekend.

This. Is. Awesome.

21. TigerTalk

TigerTalk
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

This may be a dumb question but if I drop Dish and go to Sling, how do I get my local channels? Will I need an antenna or is there some sort of digital receiver?

22. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You'd have to hope you are in range for a digital antenna to pick up local channels

23. Shinedou

Shinedou
    Expand Collapse
    Ruh roh
    RCUSA Original

Prime day basically sucked for me but I did get a Fire HD 7 tablet for my lady @ $79.00 which is cheaper than I would have gotten it for before Prime Day. Now she has something to do while I am Internetting.

24. Shinedou

Shinedou
    Expand Collapse
    Ruh roh
    RCUSA Original

Go to tvfool.com and plug in your details. This will give you an idea of what OTA channels are available to you. A lot depends on your location and if there are substantial obstacles between you and the transmitters.

25. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What's going on in here, I'm late to the party. Break down this streaming stuff for me. What's a roku

26. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It's a device that allows you to access Netflix and other sites with your TV. It's like Apple TV and Google TV.
    I was wondering what's sling TV? I know what a sling box is but yall said they are different.

27. theCountryGentleman

theCountryGentleman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Pretty much... Cutting the cord from mainstream cable and going to streaming. SlingTV offers a base package of 20 channels for $20 that contains something for everyone in the family. Click here to see the base channel lineup. There are add on packages like Entertainment/Sports/Kids etc for $5 each.

You get access to WATCHESPN as well and can add an antenna to get local channels like FOX,ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS using the information that @Shinedou mentioned above.

Some negatives would include:
    • No DVR option
    • Can only view on one TV/Device at a time
    • Must have a strong wireless signal to prevent buffering/freezing (Obviously)

Phillipdn and TheTigerMan like this.
  28. Shinedou

Shinedou
    Expand Collapse
    Ruh roh
    RCUSA Original

Sling TV is a Internet streaming service offered by Dish that gives you access to live TV channels. It's sports package offers ESPN which is a first I believe. With the sports package it is 25.00 a month with no contract. Google it and be amazed.

u jelly, 19B and TheTigerMan like this.
  29. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Just signed up for Sling TV...how do I get Watch ESPN?

I mean, for now, it's not really necessary. But come football season it will be nice to be able to stream two different games.

Edit: nevermind. Figured out watchespn

#29 u jelly, Jul 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  30. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

HD quality?

31. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Looks like it as per my computer monitor

32. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Watch ESPN is HD quality depending on your internet speeds.

33. theCountryGentleman

theCountryGentleman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What kind of speed do you have? I have 15mbps and was planning to increase until time warner told me they were boosting that 2-3x for free since they have gone digital. Figure that should be plenty fast enough to stream without issues.

34. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Got the, 4k 49" vizio TV for $599. It is amazing.
    Also got a $320 knife set for $80

35. victoriousb

victoriousb
    Expand Collapse
    Simply Ravishing
    RCUSA Original

I have ditched cable. This is the way to do it:

I have both a Roku Stick in my living room and an Amazon Firetv in my bedroom (also another roku for play room and thansk to July 15 and amazon firetv stick for an outdoor tv). You will want a device for every tv you use regularly. I recommend NOT getting the same brand device for each tv. The reason is, not every one carries all of the available options. The Firetv and roku get you closest to watching all coverage options when used together. For example, the NBCSports extra App is only available on Roku. This gets you nbc sports net, some live extra games, Golf channel, etc. . FoxSportsGO is only available on Firetv. This gets FoxSports1, and some live games available on foxsportsnet. You can buy a couple devices for a few months worth of box rental on cable or satellite.

Slingtv is great. The "only one device" thing is not an issue. You can load it on multiple devices, but it can only be running on one device at a time. The likelihood of needing to use Slingtv on more than one television at a time is nonexistent. We use Slingtv mostly for TBS, TNT, HGTV, Food Network, etc. I always watch ESPN through Watch ESPN. If my my wife wants to watch HGTV, she uses Slingtv in the bedroom, I watch ESPN on the WatchESPN app in the living room. Never an issue. Sling gets you WatchESPN access. I have literally never had an issue with us being limited by the one tv at a time thing. Also, Slingtv has been as reliable as cable for signal availability.

If you have kids, there are plenty of ways for them to watch their shows. Watch Disney Jr and PBS Kids have great apps. My 5 year old can search and find her own shows with no help. Not sure if this is good or bad.

Amazon Prime is a must. You should have it in your life for the free 2 day shipping anyway. This is an amazon prime day thread. No need to go into the greatness of Prime.

Netflix has everything else. Lots of kids shows, movies, great series. Some people like Hulu for recent shows. We had Hulu for a while but didn't use it much, so we let it go. HBOGo is pretty great too if you have a login (see below) form someone who subscribes.

The bad part, I guess for now at least, is to really make everything work and have access to all of the apps I listed, you need a cable provider login. My parents have Directv and barely know how to use a computer. I use their login for all of my app access.

You will need an antenna. I have a Mohu Leaf 50. You can buy them "open box" on the Mohu website for half price roughly with free shipping. You will be surprised at how many over the air channels there are.

Everything I watch from antenna to app is in HD. The Antenna gives me better picture than my old cable feed.

Phil Miller, AC-, CUpigpen12 and 5 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)