Medical Thread: Ask a DVU Doctor

Discussion in 'DVU' started by tboon6317, Jul 14, 2016.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 14 users.
  1. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

@MedicalTiger @Tigerchan
    I don't know if we carried this thread over from RCUSA, but I couldn't find it if we did. Was hoping one of you guys could weigh in here...

Back on June 17th, I started feeling really run down and started to get the nasty taste in the back my throat that normally represents the onset of a cold. I had to do a little bit of traveling for work on the 20th, and on the car ride back was when it really hit me. I stayed home the next day and just slept it off as much I could. Nothing major, just a summer cold, but it knocked me back pretty well for a cold (sore throat, fever, runny nose, congestion) and moved down to my chest eventually.

Since then, I've resumed all normal workout activities and everything, and I only missed the one day of work. I never felt like I totally shook all of it once it moved down to my chest, though. On Sunday I started to develop a cough, and yesterday I just had this dry cough all day with a really sore throat. No fever, no runny nose...I stayed home today and Nyquiled myself out for the last 12 hours. I definitely feel better after resting that much, but I still have the cough now that I'm awake and sitting up. The cough feels like it's trying to jar loose some shit in my chest (I can feel it and hear it when I cough now) or right at the base of my throat, and my throat is still pretty sure.

Is all of this shit just one long ass summer cold?

2. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Sounds like a sinus infection. I had about 2 months worth of chronic headaches and mild cold symptoms a couple years ago before finally going to the doc. Gave me some antibiotics, and I was nearly 100% better in 24 hours.

3. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The sore throat and cough seem to be going away compared to when I first got up. I did cough up some green shit earlier, so maybe there is some infection at play (i don't think green always equals infection tho).

4. MedicalTiger

MedicalTiger
    Expand Collapse
    Pessimist, MD
    RCUSA Original

[​IMG]

So...are you feeling better at this point or would still like some advice?

And yes, you are entirely correct. The color of sputum (the stuff you cough up) has very little bearing on the etiology of the cough. They've actually done several nice studies on that very subject and color has no association with bacterial infections.

5. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Still would take some advice for sure. Any chance this was all one long cold? Sore throat is feeling much better tonight. About to hit the Nyquil up just to make sure I sleep through the night.

6. MedicalTiger

MedicalTiger
    Expand Collapse
    Pessimist, MD
    RCUSA Original

I would continue symptomatic care for now - over the counter remedies are good. As long as you continue to feel better, I'm not too worried. I don't think it was one long cold - more likely it was two viruses: one that hit you hard in June and since that time your body has been recovering but in a state of generalized inflammation - which makes it easier for a second virus to move on in and set up shop...which what I think this one is. Should you not continue to improve, symptoms return, or new symptoms arise, let me know.

TheTigerMan and tboon6317 like this.
  7. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

You need to go to the doc and ask for Hydromet. Cough cured and you will feel like a champ.

8. phil brickma

phil brickma
    Expand Collapse
    Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins
    RCUSA Original

@MedicalTiger I need some medical advice regarding insurance. I recently graduated from graduate school in the summer and am unemployed. I had insurance, however, it expired July 4th. Anyway, I had a terrible bought with cellulitis 3 weeks ago (so much that they thought I had sepsis as well - HR was 140, low BP/temp) and had to spend two nights in the hospital. As you can imagine, not having insurance, the bill is very high. And know you are aware most bums without insurance, hypochondriacs, etc. usually go for reasons which don't require urgent care. Having said all that my question is: do you think I will have any trouble getting financial assistanse because my situation was pretty serious? This is the only time in my whole life I've never had health insurance and of course this happens.

Fwiw, I really didn't want to go until my friend, who is a nurse, saw my arm and said I need to go to the ER ASAP.

9. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

What kind of financial assistance are you looking for?

10. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

pics of the nurse

Squints likes this.
  11. Tiger Roll

Tiger Roll
    Expand Collapse
    allergic to jean shorts

pics of the nurse aren't loading...

12. The Guglia

The Guglia
    Expand Collapse
    I work in the City, and I work long hours.
    RCUSA Original

What is the point in calling other people that don't have insurance bums when you didn't have insurance?

13. phil brickma

phil brickma
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Have you ever been to the ER? It's a sight for sore eyes. And like I said, I just graduated and am searching for a job, therefore, I have no insurance. Otherwise, I have had it all of my life.

14. MedicalTiger

MedicalTiger
    Expand Collapse
    Pessimist, MD
    RCUSA Original

Shitty situation to be in, especially in today's current healthcare milieu, but I'm glad you're feeling better and sounds like you were pretty sick when you came in.

Some general advice: Be proactive. Waiting for the hospital to send multiple notices, getting bill collection agencies involved, etc. is NOT a good way to go. By the time this happens, most hospitals are so pissed off that they won't talk to you anymore. Call the hospital. Ask to speak to the financial department or Patient Relations (or the equivalent thereof). Most of these places understand the situation and are often smart enough to know that getting SOME money is way better than the hassle of having to take legal actions. Explain your situation to them. They can offer all kinds of flexibility from reduction of charges to payment plans (interest free payment installments over time). Sometimes, they can even work to get you government insurance with retroactive coverage - yes, you have to then pay for the insurance and then the adjusted bills, but you come out way ahead given your current situation. If you get a heartless asshole on the phone who won't do anything for you, then hang up and call back the next day and you'll likely get to speak to somebody else. This is why I recommend calling and not going in person. Once you get a deal that you think you can work with, ask them to save that arrangement into your file (and you should also write down the particulars) and tell them you can't commit to it, but it sounds good and you'll have to look over your finances and you'll get back to them. Then you go in person and present the hospital with the offer they gave you and tell them that it will still be really tough to make that total...however you're willing to pay X amount right now in order to get the total reduced by Y amount. Most hospitals will go for the money in hand and agree...especially with you there in person ready to cut them a check.

If the hospital calls you and gives you the offer of "if you agree to pay X amount right now, we will agree that the bill is closed, but if you don't agree, you'll owe the whole amount," unless the amount is too good to pass up (every now and then they actually will offer a good deal), reject it. Usually, this is a high pressure tactic to squeeze money out of people and isn't worth the supposed deal they are offering.

All hospital bills and fees are negotiable and they're used to it...this is the game they play with insurance companies all the time. Just keep in mind they hold the power and are much more experienced and better at it than you are.

Good luck, friend.

Tony Perkis, Doc Louis, Buzz and 2 others like this.
  15. phil brickma

phil brickma
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I was more worried about not having blood poisoning. But the nurse was older and large if that turns you on.

16. phil brickma

phil brickma
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The girl who picked me up is a nurse, though. She is very pretty. Not going to put a pic because she is friends with @Tigers wife.

17. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

TCJ, Squints and Cutig like this.
  18. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I'm not saying it necessarily turns me on, but I'm still here in this thread.

Tony Perkis, DC3, Doc Louis and 5 others like this.
  19. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

does her name start with an A

trying to think who is a nurse- or is it the one that starts with an M

20. phil brickma

phil brickma
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It starts with an A

21. JocasseeTiger

JocasseeTiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Girlfriend had a kidney infection that required an ER visit. They messed up and didn't get her insurace right and it was billed as no insurance. The 7K bill went to 1k because of some kind of no insurance discount. When she told them they messed up and gave her insurance information, the bill went up to 1200. I get the feeling they know they wont get paid for a lot of uninsured claims so they will take huge hits just to get some money. Still absolute bullshit that it was cheaper for my GF to have no insurance than have it.

Phil Miller likes this.
  22. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Nvm already have pics of @Tigers wife

23. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

:monday:

19B likes this.
  24. phil brickma

phil brickma
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

She is a looker without a doubt (no offense Tigers).

25. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Burning plastic just flew out of my burn barrel and landed on my hand. It immediately blistered up. What's the best care for it? And when should I try and pop it if I even should?
    IMG_3036.JPG

26. MedicalTiger

MedicalTiger
    Expand Collapse
    Pessimist, MD
    RCUSA Original

There is no consensus on whether to unroof blisters or leave them intact. Given that it is small, localized, and looks pretty clean, I'd leave it alone. I would cover it with a dressing more for protection and a light barrier than anything else. Some gauze pads should do. Apply some Vaseline to help retain moisture as well as provide a barrier to prevent infection and then top with gauze pad. Make the gauze thin and breathable; when taping the gauze down, tape it securely so it stays in place, but loose enough to allow the area to breath.

SackLodge likes this.
  27. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Would you recommend silvadean cream?

28. MedicalTiger

MedicalTiger
    Expand Collapse
    Pessimist, MD
    RCUSA Original

Nah. Sometimes used if the burn is partial or full thickness, but the evidence behind it is pretty sketchy at best. You're better off with plain old Vaseline.

29. Doc Louis

Doc Louis
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

can confirm, ashley is a smokeshow

no clue who it is, either

30. TigerM.D.

TigerM.D.
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

MedicalTiger, what is your specialty? I am emergency medicine.

31. MedicalTiger

MedicalTiger
    Expand Collapse
    Pessimist, MD
    RCUSA Original

I'm just really good at Google.

ER and Hospitalist; academic institute.

32. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Well aren't you two cute.

33. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Tony Perkis likes this.
  34. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

That's not true. I'll be allowed to make money eventually. I just have this pile of debt to dig out of.

#34 Tigerchan, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  35. MedicalTiger

MedicalTiger
    Expand Collapse
    Pessimist, MD
    RCUSA Original

[​IMG]

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)