Hunting & Shooting Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by CUHunter, Aug 17, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 30 users.
  1. CUHunter

CUHunter
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

This might go down in a blaze of glory, but I thought it would be interesting to have an outdoor thread for people (maybe just me?) to talk about the great outdoors, guns, and tales of driving 4wheelers drunk.

Do we have anyone else in here who spent this past weekend in a deer stand?

Pawpride and fishking like this.
  2. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I got out of the club that has early season. All my land is in Newberry county now so no early season for me. I honestly rarely went anyway early on. Just too damn hot.

3. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Can't wait for teal season to start up in a few weeks.. Love eating some bluewings

4. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Does SC have an early season?

5. Byrnes6d1

Byrnes6d1
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Got swamp ass Sunday night looking for deer. It's hot.

6. Pawpride

Pawpride
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The longest season in the country, each zone is different though.

7. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Up here, bow season is the last 2 weeks of October and firearm season is the month of November

8. Pawpride

Pawpride
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Hopefully it will be a good year, we practice trophy and quality deer management, been busting my ass in this heat trying to get everything planted. Williamsburg county checking in.

9. Byrnes6d1

Byrnes6d1
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Buck season starts August 15. Does sept 15.

10. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'll check back in when duck season opens.

Cutig likes this.
  11. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Spent my weekend shooting and reloading. These two got most of the attention.

The AR is a build I finished earlier in the year. All Palmetto State Armory stuff except for the Magpul furniture.

I picked the Henry up Saturday. Fun little gun. Had a hard time putting it down. image.jpg

Spent the rest of the weekend cleaning and sorting brass, with the help of the kitten we rescued. A buddy is a mechanic and he pulled her off of a spare tire she rode in on. I'm a dog guy, so she's a learning experience. But it feels good to rescue an animal after putting our lab down earlier this year. Ok, last comment on a animal I don't intend on shooting in the thread.
    image.jpg

12. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

@fishking
    How well do you like those tires in the above pic? (Yes, I am still looking at tires for my truck, just haven't pulled the trigger yet.)

13. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I have a Henry Big Boy and that thing is so much fun to shoot. Beautiful gun too.

eat a peach, fishking and Styx like this.
  14. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

[​IMG]

15. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'm happy with them. Certainly not premium tires, but a great value. Outperform the Goodyears I ran before them. Not the all around tire the BFGs are, but a good bit cheaper.

I like the aggressive side wall appearance.

They are technically considered an All Terrain tire, but I think they are somewhat of a hybrid between AT and MT. Very aggressive thread, so they perform great off road. Very pleased with that aspect of their performance.

The flip side is a little more road noise. Not terrible, but you hear it. I've always liked that sound, so it doesn't bother me.

Their on road performance seems to be on par with any other ATs I've run.

I only put about 60 miles a week on my truck (if that), so I don't put a ton of wear on them, but after running them for about two years now, I have no regrets. I would buy them again.

Styx likes this.
  16. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Just added a new AR this weekend. Rock River .223 with EOTech XPS2 optics and magnifier. Have a .308 for hog hunting but lugging that beast around got old.

[​IMG]

17. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Nice rifle.

I'd be curious to know your thoughts on the optic and magnifier set up after you put some rounds down range with it. Looking at doing the same set up on mine.

18. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Sept 12-27 is our Teal season.. pretty excited. Did well last year, I know marsh conditions where I will be hunting are still pretty damn good after the summer too. Hoping to get a limit a few days and be stocked up until November.

19. gftiger

gftiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Checking in from Newberry county also. I have about 700 acres in silverstreet. Last year I never raised my gun and I went every weekend. I have a 15yr old daughter that has buck fever and spent all my time helping her kill a good deer. Passed up a 200lb 8pt opening week hoping she would kill it. Never saw the deer again

20. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

any other cwp holders on here?

21. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yep. Don't carry often though.

22. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

same, I got mine back in June. I got a nice crossbreed in waistband holster but I still feel awkward carrying in public. I just leave it in my center console.

23. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

I'm in Fairfield county, hit but didn't kill a nice buck that was almost assuredly over 200 lbs. Other than that we had a pretty poor season last year after some improvement from 2008-2013.

We've been doing the preseason work the past few weekends and the trail cam results and overall deer sign leaves a lot to be desired.

24. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I will let you know. I am interested myself

fishking likes this.
  25. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What caliber do you have? I've been tempted to pick one up for 357/38. Looks like a fun way to shoot some pistol rounds.

26. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

I recently shot a friend's .44 magnum Henry Big Boy. It hits like a hammer. Great rifle.

fishking likes this.
  27. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    Dean of Redneck Engineering
    RCUSA Original

Probably won't go much this season since we'll be building, but I haven't seen much on camera yet anyways. I should be able to draw in the few bucks I've seen though since the food source around us is awful.

28. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I have the .357 for that exact reason. Dad bought it for me as a bday gift and was looking into getting me a pistol at the time too.

Shooting .38 out of it isn't much different than shooting a 22. I'll shoot the thing all day or until I run out of bullets.

Styx and fishking like this.
  29. CUHunter

CUHunter
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I am in Bamberg and Colleton County. I typically go opening weekend and then football season takes over. I always get back out towards the end of October to catch the rut.

30. CUHunter

CUHunter
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Definitely tough to carry in the summertime. I have a small Seecamp .32ACP that I can pocket carry pretty easily. The winter time is definitely more fun because you can carry something with size much easier.

fishking and Tigers like this.
  31. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

Current carry is a 9mm SW m&p shield. Will be getting something i can pocket down the road.

fishking likes this.
  32. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Any bow hunters here?

33. CUHunter

CUHunter
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Good choice. I've got the Springfield XDS in 9 that I carry too. Since it is single stack it is easier to conceal (same for the shield). It definitely takes some adjustment to carry. You know it's there and you feel like everyone else can easily see it.

a congressman and fishking like this.
  34. CUHunter

CUHunter
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I've had a bow for 2 years and have barely used it. I shot a nice buck this weekend so now I'm going to focus on bow hunting for the rest of the year. I am getting a new cam put on my bow because the draw length is too short and will have to switch arrows. Do you have any suggestions? I was shooting the Easton ST Axis and really liked them but am open to other suggestions. It seems like the Carbon Express Maxima Red is all the rage right now.

#34 CUHunter, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    hawk217 likes this.
  35. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Those Reds are pretty sweet but probably the most expensive arrow on the market. I shoot Gold tip XT and they work for me. Did you get fitted when you bought your bow? How has your draw length changed?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)