Home/Yard/Handyman Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cuangler, Oct 19, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 39 users.
  1. stevesmoothie

stevesmoothie
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Anybody have a good recommendation on appliances? Or maybe what not to get?

2. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

No strong opinions, other than I bought a Bosch dishwasher about 6 months ago and love it.

stevesmoothie likes this.
  3. stevesmoothie

stevesmoothie
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Thanks, I appreciate it. I haven't heard much on them. All I know is my parents and my in laws hated their samsung refrigerators, but that's all I've got to go on other than doing my own research.

4. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Kitchen Aid and super happy.

Run from a Samsung dishwasher.

5. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Apparently Samsung fridges are a crap shoot as we had one in our old house and it was awesome, but I read horror stories and crossed them off the list for the new house as a result

6. stevesmoothie

stevesmoothie
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Thanks for the insight and I'm glad you had a good experience. My parents now have an LG fridge and love it and we've looked at some of those as far as kitchen suites go. I'm just trying to do as much research as I can because I've never bought appliances before other than a washer and dryer

7. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

We have all Whirlpool. No problems here so far. Not a big fan of the water and ice dispenser in the fridge since you have to really position the container properly or risk making a mess, but otherwise we're happy.

Keywan1474 and stevesmoothie like this.
  8. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

We just bought Kitchen Aid for our renovation. Haven't installed yet but I should have a report in six months.

9. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Just bought a whirlpool set a few weeks ago and it's good stuff. I feel the same way about the water and ice, but it's not enough of an issue to pass on buying it.

10. stevesmoothie

stevesmoothie
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Thanks for the input. Is the ice despenser in the door or taking up shelf space in the freezer?

11. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It's in the door

12. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

Ours is in the door.

13. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Anyone in Charleston have a concrete / drive guy?

14. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I've started growing my own gardenia plants. I have some frost proof and regular gardenias planted. You take a bloom and snip it around 8-12 inches down and out them in a jar of water. After a few weeks it will start growing sprouts in the jar. You then take them and put them in a planter with soil. I just finished my first 2. They are ready to plant now.

15. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

[​IMG]

16. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I have one two gardenias and one isn't doing so well. I've been thinking of doing something similar to replace the weaker on. Does it matter which stage of the bloom you snip it?

17. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

No it just has to be a bloom stem.

u jelly likes this.
  18. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

19. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

20. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Take a little of your inheritance and buy the Poinsett Club and have it remodeled. I dont think a lot of soon to be billionaires live on Laurens Rd.

21. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I travel too much to get something huge. This is just a crash pad won't be living there. Getting rid of crib at River Place.

Buddy lives in the business turned into condos directly left of poinsett club so no go there

22. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

23. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

Quick update on my deck re-staining. I was gone for 1.5 weeks, so I had to clean up the unstained portions again on Saturday and get back to it. I was able to knock out all of the deck boards this weekend and the remaining railings, aside from one of the step railings. All I have left to do now are that and the steps.

A few pics.

Before/mid pressure wash:

20170716_151543.jpg

Post-wash and sanding:

20170719_190443.jpg

After:

20170820_163531.jpg 20170820_163548.jpg 20170820_164549.jpg

Spindles are the worst.

As I mentioned last time, I don't love my back deck, but I'm not really wanting to replace or add to it any time soon. I really cannot believe what a pain in the ass this job has been. I actually thought I could clean and prep the deck in one long day and then stain it in another 1-2 days. I laugh at me.

A good experience overall though, especially since I'd never done anything like that before. And I got some sweet new tools now.

Edit: I'm also aware of the mildew buildup on my windows, but I had to finish staining before I could clean it up. So that is next.

#549 Dabo's Dance Coach, Aug 21, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  24. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I've tried everything to kill a yellow jacket ground nest and nothing works. Poured five gallons of gas on it at night. Emptied three bottles of the supposed kill on contact crap and they keep coming back to the exact same place. Going to put a big cement base over the hole tonight. My grandmother calls me every day whining about them and I don't want her stung again

25. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Was cleaning the heat plate in my smoker, squatted on the ground in the side yard, and blasting it with the hose. About 2 minutes in, I notice this little fella moving about 18" away.

Kids' grabber toy came in handy. Prolly 14-15". Let him go in the ditch by the golf course.

[​IMG]

cuwoodchipper, cuangler and fishking like this.
  26. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Good job not killing it imo. Nice sized copperhead.

19B and cuangler like this.
  27. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

FUCK THAT!!! If I see one out in the field or woods or something similar, no problem. Chalk it up as he is just trying to make a living like everyone else. But in my yard close to my house. Nope. Dead is the only way to protect myself, wife, friends, dogs, etc.

They aren't aggresive at all, but they are so damn well camoflaged that you can step on one easily. And then they bite you.

28. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

2012-04-24_18-01-20_501.jpg
    Beheaded these 2 a few years ago in my back yard. Larger of the 2 was about as big around as my forearm and a little over 4 feet long. Biggest copperhead I have ever seen.

Killed another one about a month ago that was inches from my back steps. Was about 2 1/2 feet long.

I hate to do it, but that is too close to my house.

29. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

If you kill them I hope you are burying the heads.

30. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Generally speaking, I scoop up the head with a shovel or hoe and sling it down through the woods. Why should I bury the head?

And I don't kill many, that is 3 in 5 or 6 years. I leave the black rat snakes alone. And king snakes too of course. Wish the king snakes would be more prolific like the rat snakes are.

31. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The head can still 'bite', if something steps on it etc the venom contained in the head can still be transmitted and kill/injure whatever animal happens upon it.

32. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Gotcha. Like I said, I don't bury them, but do throw them a distance away so that they can't harm anyone close by around here. I would imagine the fire ants take it from there.

33. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

More of a concern for some animal coming across it. If your property isn't close to neighbors I probably wouldn't worry too much. In a neighborhood, absolutely.

34. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I am out in the country for sure. Surrounded by woods, creek branches on both sides. Probably why we have so much wildlife. I could literally shoot doves, turkeys, or deer from my porch depending on the time of year.

But I don't. I leave em alone. And just watch them. I do pop a few squirrels each winter out of my pecan trees with my air rifle just to fry up with grits and gravy. Just a few. I don't hunt anymore nearly as much as I did as a kid. I leave em be. My beagles are all pets. They would and have run rabbits like hell but that was due to letting them loose inadvertently. They are pets here.

Clemson327, kylebw7 and Cutig like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)