Home/Yard/Handyman Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cuangler, Oct 19, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 39 users.
  1. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I thought I was the only one outsmarted by those damn things

2. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Started a renovation of our first floor today. I've updated half the rooms, contractor is overhauling the kitchen and dining. The next six weeks should be fun.

3. Raggy

Raggy
    Expand Collapse
    MVP: Most Valuable Pizza eater
    Staff Member First 38

Bought my first home 3 weeks ago (new construction being done by a local Charleston home builder) that is scheduled to be done around March/April. Unfortunately can't lock in a rate until 60 days before closing but otherwise very pumped. Any advice on small things to tell the builder to do to make my life easier down the road? Any other new construction advice?

4. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Take pictures of all of the wall's at every stage of construction and label them within the picture. Eventually, you are going to want to know where the fuck the wires and pipes are.

Also, either have someone, or get permission to do it yourself on a weekend(not hard), pull CAT6 (or higher) ethernet and coax cable to every room you will ever have a TV in. Plan where your Internet and cable will come into your house and what cabinet it will run to. Have this be the same place. Run all of the CAT6 and coax wires you are pulling to this location. This goes for security cameras too if you want them, some use cat 5e/6.

Insulate the bathroom walls. Not required, but noise reducing.

Dig a well.

5. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Get more hose bibs and exterior electrical outlets than you think you'll need. Might want to think about having a generator area prepared.

Doc Louis, Raggy, Adam and 4 others like this.
  6. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Just got done building and learned a couple of things to go along with what has already been mentioned:

- create enough storage, then add 20% more somehow
    - if your wife has expensive tastes, throw 10-15% on top of the allowances budget out of pocket
    - ask about things like gutters, blinds and fences as some include and some don't
    - if you are putting in irrigation/sod, they are going to try to run it 2/3x per day until you change the settings --> crazy water bill
    - my favorite thing might be a light switch by the bed (behind a side table) because I'm lazy and my wife constantly asks me to turn off the lights
    - if you are mounting Sonos, nest cams, etc... Think about where and get them to put outlets there
    - check in regularly because honest mistakes happen --> we ended up with a pile of 5" hardwoods instead of 2 and 1/4". Caught it before they were installed and the crisis was averted.

I'll post more as I think of it and congrats!

Squints, Raggy and OrangeONeill like this.
  7. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

If you are doing sod, I have to reiterate, dig a well and have your electrician set up a power outlet where the well will be with 3 outlets. ( a light switch for one of the outlets, and two others) get a Rachio sprinkler controller. Pump costs about $2k, controller $200. If you are watering new sod, non city water will save you $200 a month for the first few months at least, and you won't need to worry about the cost of watering going forward.

Also, on the sonos, you should prep for Cat6 ether net cables through the walls to save bandwidth and reach far from router locations.

Raggy and CUpigpen12 like this.
  8. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

If you are tall go ahead and mark where you want your shower heads. Best move I pulled.

Nothing worse than getting shot in the neck every morning.

Squints, Doc Louis, Raggy and 3 others like this.
  9. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Really think about where you want your outlets in the kitchen. There's one place we could really use one that's now too much trouble to put in.

Raggy likes this.
  10. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

We are selling our house. We have an old well that needs to be abandoned and capped per our offer.

Anybody know the rough cost estimate to abandon a well? Don't know the depth.

11. JocasseeTiger

JocasseeTiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

A driller will fill it with concrete or bentonite or a combination. The biggest cost is materials so if you have a 12" 500' well its much more than a 6" 200' well. Call a couple drillers and get some quotes. They can probably look up your depth and diameter on the county well database.

clemsonswag likes this.
  12. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

My wife has put me to work getting some stuff built before the baby gets here.

I made two end tables from 2x4s and a pallet. I may have $10 tied up in the two tables. RenderedContent-ADE1022D-4D6D-45A0-BC60-4B91A19D1EC7.JPG

The changing table was a fun project. I don't like to paint wood, but that's what the wife wanted, so it's painted.
    RenderedContent-4FD79322-FE0B-4300-BDB8-25FBEB2EC29E.JPG

13. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Nice work. I made an end table recently that looks a lot like yours...

20170601_080722.jpg

14. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Extracted another 12-13 gallons of honey today. All darker honey.

[​IMG]

These three bears are from this year. The two on the right from today.

[​IMG]

15. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Spent about 5 hours grinding old adhesive off my porch floor last night and today. That was fun. Final wash and prep tomorrow and then putting down epoxy cover.

IMG_6205.JPG

16. stevesmoothie

stevesmoothie
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Been painting the kitchen cabinets this week, it's tedious and annoying but it is looking much better

17. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

How many times did you sand?

18. stevesmoothie

stevesmoothie
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Not once...we cleaned them with a degreaser and two coats of primer before we started painting. I was concerned about not sanding but it is turning out really well

19. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

I pressure washed and sanded my 18 year old deck last week that I don't think has ever been restained (we bought the house two years ago). I'm about to stain it here in a few. Never done this before, but since I don't really like the deck anyway I figure this is a good chance to learn from my screwing up.

Plus I got to buy a sweet power sander.

20. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Sanding sucks balls.

stevesmoothie likes this.
  21. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

Yes. Took me 3 hours in direct sunlight a few days ago. I was drained.

22. Doc Louis

Doc Louis
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

And try to make the cables easy to get to in case something needs to be changed out or upgraded

OrangeONeill likes this.
  23. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

Must have been treated pretty well to last 18 years though. I already had to replace my deck and it was only about 8 years old at the time. The previous owner of my house was a real douche though. I'm about to restain mine, such a pain in the ass. Used australian timberseed oil so I had to hand brush the entire thing.

Friday and Saturday were two of the hottest days of the year. The wife chose those days as when I should cut the grass, weed and put down 3 yards of mulch in the beds, pressure wash the back patio, and scrub down the deck furniture and deck itself.

Pressure washing is satisfying af though. Love watching all the old crap get blasted away.

24. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

Pressure washing took forever, but it was pretty fun watching the wood come back to life a bit.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1b39g20uVvaZ3E4RlRLQl9DQ2M

The only problem is since it was my first time ever pressure washing, I took away a little bit more than I wanted to on some boards. After hand sanding the remaining parts yesterday, however, it is looking a lot better. And then I heard thunder.

We weren't supposed to get any rain when I looked yesterday morning, but I was able to get the deck floor and the steps covered with tarps and plastic sheets before the storm hit. But then I couldn't find my duct tape (I found it after the storm started) and had to use electrical tape to hold parts down. About a quarter of the deck got wet in the end, which sucks, but ultimately one day I'd like to rebuild the deck so I'm not all that concerned. The deck was obviously built quickly and without any actual fucks given by the builder, so I'm not in love with it. For example, I went around trying to close in a lot of the gaps in the boards and railings and replaced a lot of old nails with deck screws. I couldn't figure out why one corner of the railing wouldn't nail flush:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1b39g20uVvaVTJ0blpRaXlzcnc

Until I took a closer look:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1b39g20uVvacUpTZDlwREVIOUU

25. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Finished this floor project last night. Was probably a 8 on scale of 1-10. Had a couple of challenges to overcome. Initial floor cover was some old AstroTurf that was glued down over a mixture of Hodge podged concrete that was done by someone not initially interested in appearance. Concrete was poorly finished and you could tell sections had been added on over the years. Spent probably 6 total hours on my knees grinding the top layer of adhesive off and basically refinishing the concrete to make sure all the pores were open. Pressure washed, degreased, etched over the course of a few nights. Prep work was easily the most important part. I still had 3 or 4 dime sized spots that I couldn't get perfectly clean that the epoxy just rolled off of but I'm pretty satisfied with the result. I was quoted 3k from one company and 2k from another fot professional install. They do multiple layers and it would have turned out a little better but I'm happy with the $300 I put in it. Definitely have other projects around that could use the money. If I could do it differently I might would have rented a commercial concrete grinder and saved myself a lot of work but I was quoted at $300/day for that. Also I had patched all the cracks but had some hair sized ones that I didn't think I needed to. The instructions lead me to believe the epoxy would fill them but it was a little more viscous that I anticipated and I'm not sure I quite got them all even after rolling those spots pretty thick. Also my floor space was a little under 200 sq ft. I bought the kit that was supposed to cover 500 and I ran out. The last 10 sq ft or so we're not as thick as I wanted and started to set quickly, you can see this in the bottom of last picture. Managed to avoid disaster and get it done. Overall a project I'm ok with. IMG_6220.JPG IMG_6222.JPG

26. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That looks great, what is the floor covering you used?

27. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I looked at a few products and settled on this. One neighbor had some stuff that comes in a gallon pain can that I didn't like. Other guy used this. Watched him take a spade shovel and slam it into his floor repeatedly and it didn't leave a mark. Really tough stuff.

TheTigerMan and OrangeONeill like this.
  28. stevesmoothie

stevesmoothie
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

After a week and a half the kitchen cabinets are finished. I wish I had a before picture to show how bad they used to look

Attached Files:

29. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Thanks, building a garage now and might put down a coat before any cabinets etc go in

30. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

If you've got a fresh pad of concrete it's pretty easy. It's also easier to put down when temps aren't very high. I pretty much did it in the worst conditions.

31. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Do you even microwave bro

stevesmoothie likes this.
  32. stevesmoothie

stevesmoothie
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Haha not right now since it broke, but we will be soon. And of course my wife wants all new appliances to go with whatever microwave we get

33. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

This exists. You're welcome.

34. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I picked up an Electrolux microwave and love it

35. stevesmoothie

stevesmoothie
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

As awesome as that is I doubt she will go for it

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)