Home/Yard/Handyman Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cuangler, Oct 19, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 39 users.
  1. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I figured that we need one of these threads.

Anyone with any experience with any of these home automation products? We are about to finish up with our remodel and I just bought a smart thermostat. Looking at possibly doing a smart lock on the side door. It looks like there are a lot of options out there. I know the Amazon Echo is supposed to pair up with several of them.

fishking and Clemson327 like this.
  2. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I have a Nest thermostat but have held off on adding anymore Internet connected devices until some standard takes over. Right now there are several standards and none of them have everything I want. I want to be able to control everything with one app. I was hoping Apple would help with this but so far I haven't seen much from them.

3. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'll use this thread to answer questions. I'm in the upstate, so most everything grows around here. The big ticket items for bees here is clover, blackberries, poplar, sourwood, and goldenrod. I'm on a 17 acre farm so we have a bunch of clover in the pasture and I have a bunch of poplar and blackberries (wild and planted) around. There's some sourwood around and goldenrod pops up in the early fall. I have a garden but it's not really for the bees, although they do cover it up. Bees will travel up to 3 miles away from the hive for forage and will go to the more dense areas.

What they go to will influence the flavor/color of the honey, but that's hard to do unless you have them in the middle of a 6 mile area. Plus, you want them to have a diverse food source. They've seen that the bees have been malnourished when they are use as pollinators on large areas of one type of crop. I am going to plant some clover and sunflowers in a 25'x60' section just to control some of a possible food source though.

4. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

How often do you have to maintain each hive? What's the harvest period for honey?

5. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I wouldn't mind a few hives but my location doesn't quite allow it unless I want to put them on the roof or something. Would be pretty awesome though and I'm jealous of everyone that can do it. All natural honey is one of the best hangover cures (with a few extras) of anything out there.

6. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

During the spring/summer, I'd check on them every week or two, for maybe 15 minutes a hive, usually less. In SC, the harvest period is usually May, June, and July, with some people being able to harvest in April and some in the Fall. Sourwood blooms in August-September, so if they're in a heavy sourwood area that's a good harvest. Usually the August heat kills a lot of the blooms of most flowers.

7. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I have a nest generation 2 and it is great. Haven't thought about it since I had to set it to heat / cool a month ago. The automatic reporting feature is quite nice.

I have programmable locks on my doors, but don't want those connected to my WiFi. I am about to build a garage apartment and rent it out on airbnb, so anyone with info on automated products will be greatly appreciated.

cuangler likes this.
  8. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Bought my wife the Amazon echo for Christmas. Can't wait to take it from her and play with it.

9. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I ended up going with the ecobee 2. Looked at the nest and Honeywell lyric. All three are pretty much identical. I went with the ecobee because it is compatible with Apple HomeKit and it comes with an additional remote sensor that helps track you and keep the zone you are in at your set temp range. My den as always a few degrees different than my hall where the thermostat is located.

10. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Had someone drive through 100 feet of our pasture fence along the road last night.

[​IMG]

11. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

Man he just Billdozed through that section

Buzz, Waffle House, TheWampa and 21 others like this.
  12. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    Dean of Redneck Engineering
    RCUSA Original

That sucks. Do y'all have any livestock that could get out?

13. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Luckily the horses were in another pasture.

14. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Ah that's good. Looks like you've got your spare time planned out for the next couple days.

15. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

For now we're trying to figure out the insurance part. It wasn't a hit or run, the cops were here towing the car around 4 am. Hopefully we can get enough to where we won't have to do it ourselves. I'm tired of building fence and we've still got more new stuff to do.

16. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That's even better. I assumed it was a hit and run.

17. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

4am? I'm assuming it was alcohol related or sleepy holiday traveler

18. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

19. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Anybody know anything about tankless water heaters? Mine is suddenly making a pipe/plumbing/valve grinding noise whenever I turn any water on. Troubleshooting guide for this brand advises calling tech support for abnormal sounds coming from unit. Reckon I'll tall tech support, or a plumber.

20. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

I turned my shower on yesterday and then when I went to turn it off I heard a clicking noise and the level would turn, but the water just keep flowing out.

I had to fix the Moen posi temp cartridge. It was pretty easy and only took about 20 minutes plus travel time to Lowes. I likely saved $200 buck on an emergency plumber. Thanks YouTube. Was pretty smug upon completion of the project.

Doc Louis likes this.
  21. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Been pressure washing the backyard fence yesterday and today. 5 or 6 hours total. Halfway done. 1900psi is really tough in certain spots and it's taking way longer than expected. Gonna finish next wknd.

22. eat a peach

eat a peach
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What are you cleaning with? I buy a lot of cleaning,paper goods and such at Dollar General. A lot cheaper. They have a cleaner called Awsume that is a buck a spray bottle ,use it on OPE ,mowers,chainsaws and such . Should be great with a pressure washer. Check it first it can change the color of plastics. It is he'll on grease and oil

a congressman likes this.
  23. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Looking in to this now. Using Scotts stuff for decks....thnks

24. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

0312161415~2.jpg
    Purchased this today. My old John Deere has been a faithful grass cutter for 16 years, but the mower deck was pitting and rotting out. It still runs like a top, so I am welding some extra metal there and using the old green machine as a backup/secondary unit. But this new Husky is the tits. Love it. Love the ride, power, speed, and especially the orange. Cut over the weeds all afternoon to prepare for spreading the weed and feed to let the centipede come alive, drank Natty Lights, and bonded with this new machine.

25. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Love my Husky. Our place is pretty rough on riding mowers. The Husky is the only one that keeps coming back for more.

Styx likes this.
  26. theCountryGentleman

theCountryGentleman
    Expand Collapse
    I feel like I'm on a spaceship...
    RCUSA Original

Dryer blows out this past week. Naturally the wife takes the opportunity to scheme up all kinds of ideas for the laundry room. Spent Saturday cleaning, painting and building some shelves in preparation for the new washer/dryer. Turned out pretty good:

Attached Files:

27. Byrnes6d1

Byrnes6d1
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Hated it at the time. But adding storage to the laundry room was a great idea.

28. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I like what you did with those shelves.

29. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Nice work. I've made a few things with iron pipe that always turns out well. Made our coffee table last year that's about to get demoted to another room. Wife saw something similar and I was not about to pay $400 for it. Think it cost me $80ish total. Next project is a farm table and benches for our screen porch.
    image.jpeg

30. Byrnes6d1

Byrnes6d1
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'll post a pic at home after church. But Ana white is a great site for plans for farm tables benches etc ... Did mine for 250 total.

Clemson327 and cuangler like this.
  31. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I stained the heck out of the concrete while trying to maintain my lawn. Hate hate hate pressure washing but on principle I don't hire out yard work unless it's tree work. Looks like I have my weekend project for next week.

32. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Please do. Thought I remembered someone on here doing one.

33. Byrnes6d1

Byrnes6d1
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

My daughter says what's up.

I had to buy a new jig saw and kreg jig. But did both for 250$ all included.

Ana white is the shit. Making adirondack chairs now.

Attached Files:

34. Byrnes6d1

Byrnes6d1
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Did we have a gardening thread over here yet or is this it now ?

35. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

I think this is it.

Also, that is some damn fine pipe fitting work in this thread!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)