General College Football Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by White Tajh Boyd, Jul 17, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 111 users.
  1. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    National Championship Team
    RCUSA Original

For all the teams that hate us cuz they ain't us.

2. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Well this has potential to be pretty cool.

SEC Network is adding a cool new show this fall
    By Zach Barnett on July 16, 2015
    [​IMG]

Let’s be honest. SEC Network is nice and all, but it’s not what it could be. Not even close, really. Where’s my Hard Knocks: LSU? Where are my cooking shows with Bret Bielema? Where is Steve Spurrier’s late night talk show? Nevertheless, the network took a major step in the right direction announcing “SEC Inside” this week.

As one would expect from its name, “SEC Inside” will take viewers behind the curtain of one SEC football game per week, with cameras capturing pre-game preparation, sideline action during the game and inside the locker room after the game. “The show will deliver unique perspectives in a highly produced cinematic style,” ESPN senior vice president of college networks production Stephanie Druley told AL.com. “New camera angles are supported by previously unheard sounds from the coaches and players on game day. The combination creates a more complete picture of the game, and compelling television.”

Each school will have input into what footage actually makes the final cut, so don’t expect to see any Nick Saban-Lane Kiffin halftime shouting matches.

“Schools wills see them before America sees them and we’ll have reasonable conversations about content,” said Druley. “Some schools in the conference are doing this already and they’re going a lot deeper than what we’re talking about.”

The show will run on Wednesday nights throughout the season, highlighting one team per week and concluding at the SEC championship game.

clemsontyger04 likes this.
  3. Heism4n

Heism4n
    Expand Collapse
    World Champ
    First 38

Tennessee under federal investigation for sexual violence
    [​IMG]
    By Sam Cooper 3 hours ago Dr. Saturday

• View photo

.[​IMG]
      Oct 2, 2010; Baton Rouge, LA, USA; A Tennessee Volunteers helmet is seen during the second half against the LSU …

The U.S. Department of Education’s Office of Civil Rights (OCR) has started an investigation into sexual violence at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville.
      According to the Tennessean, an individual filed a federal complaint “regarding the university’s response to a report of sexual violence.” UT Chancellor Jimmy Cheek informed faculty, staff and students of the complaint in an email.

“While privacy laws prevent the university from disclosing the details of the complaint, I can assure you we will cooperate fully with OCR as it investigates the complaint,” Cheek’s email said.

At least six football players on the Tennessee's 2014 roster have been accused of sexual assault.

Cornerback Michael Williams and linebacker A.J. Johnson were named as suspects in a November rape case. Williams was indicted on two counts of aggravated rape and a UT athletics spokesman said the team had "moved on" from Williams. Johnson has since graduated, but the NFL withdrew Johnson’s invitation to the NFL combine.

Wide receiver Von Pearson was named as a suspect in the alleged rape of a 19-year-old UT student at an off-campus apartment. He has not been charged, but the team indefinitely suspended him.

Riyahd Jones, a defensive back who parted ways with the football program in January, was also named as a suspect in a February sexual assault. No charges were filed when the woman declined to prosecute.

Additionally, running back Marlin Lane was named as a suspect in an alleged rape that occurred in April 2013 in his dorm. Charges were never filed after the alleged victim said she did not want to press charges. Lane, who had been suspended for “disciplinary reasons” after the allegation emerged, was reinstated and played in every game for the Vols in 2013 and 2014.

Another incident involved a player that the Tennessean decided not to name “because he has not been publicly accused and no police report was filed.”

From the Tennessean:

In September a football player was named in a sexual assault complaint made to university officials by a freshman woman, according to an internal university investigation and emails from university officials obtained by The Tennessean. University officials investigated the case and issued a finding that no assault occurred and the incident was instead consensual sex. The player remains in good standing on the team. The Tennessean is not naming the football player because he has not been publicly accused and no police report was filed.

The investigation into Tennessee – one of “135 cases under investigation for issues of sexual violence at 121 post-secondary schools” – began on June 29, the OCR confirmed to the Tennessean. Other universities under investigation include Vanderbilt and Florida State.

For more Tennessee news, visit VolQuest.com.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...estigation-for-sexual-violence-141432343.html

4. phil brickma

phil brickma
    Expand Collapse
    Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins
    RCUSA Original

Imagine if we signed Lane and Cook to go along with Bellamy. Talk about a shit show.

5. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The Steve Spurrier drunk late night talk show would kill in the ratings.

tigerpawtattoo and Cutig like this.
  6. TheKing

TheKing
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

7. Heism4n

Heism4n
    Expand Collapse
    World Champ
    First 38

Interesting stat:

In 2014, the SEC West was 1-4 vs Top 25 teams outside the conference: the SEC East was 2-9. Combined, the SEC was 3-13. The SEC was 0-3 in Access 6 Bowls.
    Over the last 2 years, the SEC West is 3-7 vs Top 25 teams outside the conference; the SEC East was 5-14. Combined, the SEC was 8-21. The SEC was 0-5 in Major Bowls.

8. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Wait.. that doesn't jive with this at all

[​IMG]

a congressman, Tigers and TheTigerMan like this.
  9. Heism4n

Heism4n
    Expand Collapse
    World Champ
    First 38

Have to push that billion dollar investment. So much so they came up with this bogus poll, which uses bogus unmeasurable matrix like 'starters'. Remember, this is the company who came up with 'game control' (which nobody has any clue how it's calculated) last year when the SEC started losing so they could justify putting the SEC at the top of the polls again (Alabama). They ranked Alabama #2 in 'game control' - Florida game was close going into the 4th Q; they lost to Ole Miss; they beat Arkansas by 1; beat LSU in OT; squeaked by MSU by 5; were losing to Auburn going into the 4th quarter....that's half their schedule...so what the hell did they control? ESPN is a joke.

10. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Gus Malzahn keeps it simple.

That's what first-year Prairie View A&M head coach Willie Simmons loves about his uptempo, spread offense at Auburn.

"The way he uses formations, the way he plays fast and the way he keeps the game simple," Simmons said. "I think a lot of the spread guys' philosophy is the simpler, the better."

Like Malzahn did at Auburn in 2010, Simmons was an offensive coordinator for a conference championship team. Last season, Simmons was instrumental in Alcorn State winning the SWAC title.

The Braves led the league in scoring offense (44.0 ppg.), total offense (493.8 yards per game) and rushing offense (286 yards per game).

"I heard he was a great offensive mind and obviously that's true because his offense dismantled our defense," Prairie View defensive back Damond Jackson said.

Like Malzahn, Simmons uses pace to fuel the running game. John Gibbs Jr. rushed for 1,006 yards and 11 touchdowns and threw for 2,482 yards and 21 touchdowns for Alcorn State in earning 2014 SWAC co-offensive player of the year honors.

The Braves had three players finish in the top 10 in the conference in rushing yards per game playing in Simmons' offense.

"We create the philosophy of being a physical, smash mouth team, but now let's do it and utilize the entire football field," Simmons said. "That's what my philosophy is built upon. Being physical, being able to run the ball effectively, but creating running lanes with our tempo with us spacing the field out."

Alcorn State also led the SWAC in passing efficiency (143.8), first downs (319) and third-down conversions (44.4 percent) last season under Simmons' controls.

"I think we've got a real good coach," Prairie View running back Courtney Brown said. "He's super competitive. He's very passionate about the game. He's real smart. Got a great offensive mind."

Along with Malzahn, Rich Rodriguez (Arizona), Art Briles (Baylor), Mark Helfrich (Oregon) and Cal offensive coordinator Tony Franklin have influenced Simmons. Rodriguez was an offensive coordinator at Clemson where Simmons started his college career playing quarterback. Simmons later coached with Tony Franklin at Middle Tennessee.

"That's where college football is going now, playing with tempo," Simmons said. "Using the advantages that the college game allows us to have to maximize our personnel. To create mismatches against the defense. That's what my philosophy is built upon. Spread the field. Make the defense cover 100 yards by 53 yards. Make them cover the entire field."

11. Heism4n

Heism4n
    Expand Collapse
    World Champ
    First 38

Looks like Florida will be back very soon - McElwain got his man at QB.

Consensus two-star Kyle Trask...lightly recruited thus far, held offers from Houston Baptist, Lamar and McNeese State. He holds no other offer from a power-conference program. But after performing well at Florida’s “Friday Night Lights” camp, the Gators decided to offer him, and he accepted almost immediately.

The Manvel (Texas) quarterback doesn’t start for his high school and admitted to surprise when Florida offered him.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/florida-football/florida-gets-2-star-qb/

12. Shinedou

Shinedou
    Expand Collapse
    Ruh roh
    RCUSA Original

Maybe I should send my son down there. He doesn't play football but he could really use the scholarship money.

13. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

14. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Posted by John Taylor on July 28, 2015, 1:11 PM EDT
    [​IMG]
    When Mackenro Alexander received a release from his Auburn scholarshipin late January, it was thought that he could very well end up at USF. Instead, the defensive back has dropped a couple of rungs of competition to restart his playing career.

According to NFLDraftScout.com‘s Dane Brugler, by way of al.com, Alexander (pictured, being dragged :bchuckle:) has decided to transfer to Northeast Mississippi Community College. Because Alexander will be playing at the JUCO level, he will be eligible immediately for the upcoming season.

Because of its geographic location — USF is located in Tampa, Fla., a little over a two-hour drive from Alexander’s home in Immokalee — it was surmised that the AAC Bulls would be a likely landing spot for Alexander.

The defensive back saw very little playing time after coming to Auburn as a three-star member of the Class of 2013. He played in eight games as a true freshman, then none in 2014.

Originally verbally committed to Florida State, Alexander, rated as the No. 43 safety in the country, ultimately chose AU over his other finalists, Clemson and Mississippi State. Alexander’s four-star cornerback brother, Mackensie Alexander, signed with Clemson in 2013 and, after redshirting, was named as a freshman All-American by several outlets coming off a season in which he started 13 games.

15. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Butch Jones processing like a boss. Guy signed five months ago.

Freshman wide receiver Jocquez Bruce was to blueshirt this season for the Tennessee Volunteers. Instead, he will be looking for somewhere else to play his college football. Bruce released a statement saying he will no longer be attending the university and is parting ways following a mutual agreement with Tennessee head coach Butch Jones.

“I would like to announce that I will no longer be attending the University of Tennessee,” Bruce’s statement to the Knoxville News Sentinel said. “Coach Jones and I have talked and have together decided that this is what is best for me at this time. I still plan to attend college, as well as play football, and I look forward to working with Coach Jones, and the University of Tennessee, as they help me find an appropriate fit.”

The Knoxville News Sentinel reports Bruce was suspended indefinitely earlier this week, and Bruce later clarified it was for being late to a class. Bruce has already reportedly heard from multiple potential suitors for his sudden recruitment. Arkansas State, Middle Tennessee State and Memphis are among those considered to be interested, along with FCS Charleston Southern and a junior college (Northeast Oklahoma A&M), per the report.

Bruce was a three-star recruit out of Knoxville in Tennessee’s Class of 2015, according to his Rivalsprofile. He had agreed to join the program as a blueshirt, which means he joined the program as a preferred walk-on that would later receive a scholarship that can be counted toward the following recruiting cycle’s scholarship count or whenever a scholarship slot opens up within the program.

16. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

That couldn't possibly be misleading...

17. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Former NC State receiver eyes big future at Yale
    When Bo Hines says he has big political dreams, he’s not kidding.

“Governor of North Carolina and the ultimate goal would be president,” Hines said.

That’s why, after a successful freshman football season at N.C. State, the Charlotte native decided to transfer to Yale, where five U.S. presidents have passed through undergrad or law school.

When the Wolfpack opens training camp next week, Hines, the team’s leading receiver a year ago, will be in New Haven, Conn., preparing for his first semester in Yale’s renowned political science program. He will also play football for the Bulldogs, who went 8-2 last season and had one of the best Football Championship Subdivision offenses in the country.

Governor of North Carolina and the ultimate goal would be pPresident.

Former Wolfpack receiver Bo Hines on his political dreams

Hines, who had 45 catches for 616 yards at N.C. State last season, could have waited on Yale. But at 19, Hines made up his mind about his future and didn’t see the point in delaying his dreams.

“It’s an unbelievable opportunity in the realm of academics, one that sets me up for a great future,” Hines said in a recent interview. “Hopefully, I’ll get my degree and get a shot at the NFL. Then I can go to law school and jump into politics.”

Most teenagers don’t know what they want for lunch, Hines has the next 25 years mapped out.

“I don’t know how it will all work out, but that’s the plan,” Hines said.

Considered Harvard
    Robert Nicholas Hines has always been ambitious, his father Todd says, but he’s also very unselfish.

“He’s not a ‘me’ type person,” Todd Hines said. “That makes him really unique. Bo has always been interested in helping other people.”

Classes in government and religion at Charlotte Christian sparked Hines’ interest in politics. A Republican, he has carefully studied the careers of Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan.

Hines had considered going to Harvard out of high school but instead graduated early and enrolled at N.C. State in Jan. 2014.

He was the star of the Wolfpack’s spring game that year with 10 catches for 132 yards. He had nine catches for 85 yards in his first college game, a 24-23 win against Georgia Southern. He had eight catches for 103 yards and a touchdown during a loss to then-No. 1-ranked Florida State.

Hines’ production tailed off at the end of the season as N.C. State focused on the running game. Before N.C. State’s bowl win in late December, Hines had already started thinking about Yale.

But if Hines had, say 60 or 70 catches for close to 1,000 yards, would he have left for the Ivy League?

“That’s a tough question,” Hines said. “I don’t think it would have changed my decision. I still think I would have followed my academic dreams.”

‘A perfect fit’
    It didn’t take Yale coach Tony Reno long to be impressed by Hines.

“When we met Bo we fell in love with the kid,” Reno said. “He’s everything we’re looking for.”

Reno has already benefited from one ACC transfer from Charlotte. Quarterback Morgan Roberts, who starred at Charlotte Country Day and began his college career at Clemson, led the Ivy League with 3,230 passing yards (in only 10 games), and 22 TD passes. He is also majoring in political science.

Hines worked out with Roberts this summer in Charlotte. The Bulldogs had two receivers with more than 70 catches last season and ranked fifth in the FCS in passing offense.

“He’s a perfect fit for our offense,” Reno said.

Practice won’t start for Yale until Aug. 17, and the first game isn’t until Sept. 19. Hines said he will miss playing in front of 57,000 fans at N.C. State, and the facilities at Yale aren’t at quite the same level.

“You only need so much,” Hines said. “Honestly, there’s a lot of tradition here, and the Yale Bowl is awesome.”

I still love N.C. State and have a lot of friends at the school and on the team.

Bo Hines

Hines said he has plans to go to an N.C. State game in November after Yale’s season is finished.

“I still love N.C. State and have a lot of friends at the school and on the team,” Hines said. “I’m glad I had the experience that I did there.”

Hines and Wolfpack quarterback Jacoby Brissett remain close friends. Brissett recently attended Hines’ sister’s wedding in Charlotte. Hines said he will be rooting for his former quarterback this season.

“He’s awesome,” Hines said. “He’ll always be a part of my family.”

But after one season with Brissett and one year of big-time college football, Hines knew there was more out there for him.

CNN recently called Todd Hines about a possible story on his son. Their first question was why Bo left N.C. State. Hines said there was a simple answer.

“The reality is football can be gone overnight,” Todd Hines said. “He proved last year he could compete on the field at the highest level. The opportunity at Yale gives him the best platform to do what he wants to do for the rest of his life.”

And Bo Hines certainly has big plans for the rest of his life.

18. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Was scared to face Mack again.

19. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Am I reading that correctly? He was accepted to Harvard, the #1 rated academic institution on the planet...and he CHOSE to go to NC State? What in the actual fuck? He sure doesn't sound smart enough to attend Harvard with that kind of decision-making.

20. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

if i had both options on the table, it would be a really hard decision for me. he's found a way to do both. sounds pretty smart to me.

21. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I'm not following. If you have an acceptance letter from Harvard, then yes, you have to decide whether to attend Harvard, or NCSU...or quite literally any other school you applied for, most with full academic rides. Are you saying he chose NCSU for football? There are Ivy League players in the NFL. I'm still confused about the story, obviously.

22. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

i'm not saying everyone should feel the same way i do, but yeah, i'd have a hard time choosing between ACC football and Harvard. i don't see path to the NFL as the only benefit of playing at NC State over Harvard.

also worth noting that ivy league schools don't give athletic scholarships.

23. Heism4n

Heism4n
    Expand Collapse
    World Champ
    First 38

Depends on how talented you are. If you are Deon Cain, then you don't choose Harvard. If you are me, then you take the Harvard scholly...play against other tiny white boys, then live off the amazing Harvard network the rest of your life.

24. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

One of my good friends started at Clemson and transferred to Harvard for basketball and then Columbia for law school. Pretty sure @AC knows who he is. It happens more than people would think

25. AC-

AC-
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'm drawing a blank here. I know Hugh M. went to Harvard for bball, is that who you are talking about?

kylebw7 likes this.
  26. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Obviously not very smart of a person if A) He left Clemson to go to Harvard and then B) Was only able to translate that Harvard education to USC for law school.

27. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I assumed he meant Columbia of the Ivy League

28. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

yeah he went to Clemson for a year before heading to Harvard and then went on to Columbia Law. He's back in the area.

AC- likes this.
  29. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

This

30. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Well then apparently I am not the smart person.

ACCfootprint and kylebw7 like this.
  31. AC-

AC-
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yeah I've seen him around in Greenville a couple of times. Never realized he went to Columbia after Harvard.

kylebw7 likes this.
  32. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

yeah he played bball only a season or two for Harvard and quit to focus on school up there. He opened some sort of tech company for education.

33. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Hold the phone: Non-stop recruiting motivates, aggravates college coaches

CLEMSON — Mike Reed drops everything — coaching, lunch, family obligations, etc. — at the buzz of a palm-sized box.

Bzzzzzzz. Bzzzzzzzzz. Reed presses a button to stall the vibration, raises his iPhone to his ear and spends all of a few seconds indulging a potential future client.

“Yeah, hold on, man. I’ll hit you back in 20 minutes,” Reed says, listening for a couple beats before thanking the mystery man on the other end.

Clemson’s defensive backs coach taps the screen, sets down the phone and shakes his head.

It’s July 15. “Recruits, man. It seriously is non-stop.”

So goes the life of a college football assistant coach, a job short on time off and sanity, and made more difficult with advances in phone technology and social media applications.

“My phone (recently) was broke for four days,” Reed said, “and those were the greatest four days ever.”

Do college coaches have it tougher than NFL assistants?

Kirby Smart evidently thinks so. The architect of Alabama’s perennially powerful defense and Nick Saban’s right-hand went on an Atlanta radio show and decried the changing times.

“The smartphones are the death of college coaches,” Smart said July 2, according to FootballScoop.com. “Every college coach I talk to won’t say it on record but everyone’s thinking, ‘Should I go to the (National Football) league?’ Because you don’t have the same requirements; the hours are different. Recruiting is non-stop.”

The contrast makes for quite a debate: College assistant coaches must deal with recruiting and teen whims; NFL assistants coach grown-ups — and strong wills that come with agents — while working almost round-the-clock during a longer season.

Pros and cons
    The notion NFL coaches don’t work as hard as college coaches isn’t unanimous, even among college coaches. New South Carolina defensive coordinator Jon Hoke, who spent the past 13 years with the Texans and Bears, doesn’t see much difference in his approach months after joining the Gamecocks.

“I’ve taught (Bears cornerback) Charles Tillman the same way I would teach (USC cornerback) Chris Lammons,” Hoke said. “I coached Lito Sheppard at Florida the same way I coached Aaron Glenn with the Houston Texans.”

Hoke’s not the only coach who’s gone back to school. Co-defensive coordinator Lorenzo Ward (Raiders) and wide receivers coach Steve Spurrier Jr. (Redskins, under his father) have previously coached in the pros before landing at South Carolina.

Meanwhile, Marion Hobby left Clemson after one year coaching defensive linemen to take the same job with the New Orleans Saints. But then he went to Duke in 2008, and in 2011 returned to Clemson, which has bagged five straight top-15 Rivals.com recruiting classes (and the No. 4 bunch last February.)

“Boy, this phone, you can’t ever let it die,” Hobby said. “As coaches, it’s hard for us to put them down because there’s always some communication with the social media and the texts, keeping up with your rivals and where your top prospects are visiting.”

The problem is, recruits have an appreciable amount of leverage over their suitors. Without great players, coaches can’t win.

“Guys call you last-minute, saying ‘hey, coach, I’m passing through Clemson, can you show me the building?’ You’ve got to respond to that,” Hobby said. “It becomes a little trying at times.”

South Carolina recently added four “quality control” coaches. Schools are adding support staffers dedicated soley to recruiting, such as Clemson’s Thad Turnipseed, but all he can do is organize recruiting trips and other administrative duties. NCAA violations prohibit Turnipseed from reviewing game tape or contacting recruits.

Graduate assistants chip in as much as they can, though their time and impact are also limited.

“It’s gotten crazy. Because if you’re not in contact with these kids, they say you don’t love them,” Reed said. “I don’t equate tweeting and texting and stuff like that to love. But that’s what we’re dealing with now.”

Family ties
    Now comes the real tough question: what happens if Johnny Five-Star calls during a family dinner or deep conversation with the wife?

“You hide the phone,” Hobby said with a laugh, while slyly tucking his phone under the table for emphasis. “You keep it real low and don’t let your wife know you’re looking at it, especially when she’s trying to talk to you.”

Scott had a similarly humorous answer: “Depends on who it is.” He recalls a recent evening with his wife when he chose his phone over supper.

“I came back and said, ‘I apologize, but that recruit’s going to help pay for a lot of these meals someday.’ ”

Reed, the father to two young children, struck a deal with his wife: for one hour each night, the phone takes over and he attends to recruiting matters. After that, he’s done.

“I found out that you’ve basically got to budget your time,” Reed said. “I refuse to let (my phone) control me.”

There are varying attitudes. Defensive coordinator Brent Venables, who has four kids, takes no issue with the endless hours spent building relationships with potential future Clemson football players. He didn’t particularly agree with Smart’s stance on the radio.

“I love what I do,” Venables said. “I know that people make a big difference in my success, so that’s a willingness to continue to fight for. I personally can sustain that fight. It’s a challenge, but it’s not a problem for me.” :uvenables:

34. Grady Jarrett

Grady Jarrett
    Expand Collapse
    In there like swimwear
    RCUSA Original

35. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Played ball with you and Hugh back in the day.

kylebw7 likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)