Facilities Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by orangeonmymind, Aug 1, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 65 users.
  1. MauldinT

MauldinT
    Expand Collapse
    The pride of Simpsonville

Sometimes it's just perception. Like opening a brand new football-only building. Doing things like this can keep potential lawsuits at bay

2. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Any chance the NCAA is going to allow more baseball scholarships?

3. Shinedou

Shinedou
    Expand Collapse
    Ruh roh
    RCUSA Original

[​IMG]

You said DIKES in a conversation about women's softball.

Doc Louis, Tigers, Clemson327 and 5 others like this.
  4. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yeah I was wondering if it was a money spent thing, not sure how that's enforced.

But a friend of mine texted me that we're doing away with the women's diving team, so it looks like it's to get those women's scholarships back.

5. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I enjoy watching the women's softball. Some of the chicks are easy on the eyes and others are pushing 170/200
    Softball at clemson is past due imo. All the best teams are southern schools.

6. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

There's no middle ground with softball chicks. Either smoking hot you'd kill @WRich3 to sex them, or 2 bill Gina? GINA muff divers.

TheWampa likes this.
  7. Codename Duchess

Codename Duchess
    Expand Collapse

We're dropping the diving program. Softball will replace those 'ships and keep us in compliance.

8. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Nah, there's plenty of tweeners. On my phone, or I'd search for some examples.

9. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

CLEMSON --- Visitors to most graveyards make their way through the headstones using hushed, reverent tones out of respect for the dearly departed. Then, there is the Clemson football burial ground, located along the entry way to the Tigers’ practice facility and a couple hundred yards from the program’s sparkling new $150 million football operations hub, dubbed “Dabo World.”

On this small plot of land sits grave markers commemorating landmark Tiger victories over ranked programs on the road or, in postseason and/or bowl games.

Four more marble edifices were added to that collection last Wednesday with the largest of those being a 1,500-pound black granite stone regaling Clemson’s 35-31 victory over top-ranked Alabama in the National Championship Game in Tampa, Fla., on Jan. 9, 22017.

The newest additions to the grave plot were driven to Clemson by Tigers’ superfan, Van Kornegay, of Kornegay Funeral Home in Camden and Lugoff.

Since 2004, the 1991 Camden High graduate has made it his mission to make sure that notable Clemson football victories take their rightful place in one of the two graveyards located on the school’s campus. All it took was a simple phone call following the Tigers’ 24-17 win over 10th ranked Miami in Miami Gardens, Fla., for Kornegay to become an extended part of the Clemson football family.

“After the big win against Miami,” Kornegay said, “I called (then-Clemson associate athletic director for Facilities and Grounds) Robert Ricketts and asked him, ‘Who does the tombstones?’ He said they got them from a company out of Easley.”

Hearing that, Kornegay offered his services while telling Ricketts of his family’s long service in the funeral business. “I said, ‘Well, why don’t y’all get them from me?’ He said, ‘OK. You can help us with these tombstones?’

“I said, ‘Yeah. My family runs a funeral home in Camden and I can help you with these tombstones. Why not get them from a Clemson fan?’”

Ricketts took Kornegay up on his offer and the next day, the two men met in Clemson to discuss the new partnership. From there, Kornegay took down the measurements for the tombstones and has been the official provider of the product to the program ever since.

“Usually,” he said, “it’s just me and another guy who put in the base and put the headstone on top of it and do it in one day. This year, we had so many to put in that me and my good friend, Ben Myers, put the bases in the Wednesday prior; that way we could actually go up and enjoy our day in Clemson.

“We all wanted to go up there and make this a special day and enjoy it.”

Last week, four vehicles filled with helpers, along with a truck and trailer which held the four tombstones, Kornegay and company made their way to Clemson to put the headstones atop the four bases which he and Myers dug into the ground the previous week. None, however, was more precious, costly and heavier than the one signifying the national championship victory over Alabama, the 15th stone which Kornegay had brought to Clemson.

“This was the first time Clemson had ever beaten a number one-ranked team in its history,” Kornegay said of the special stone. “It was a pretty big win and they wanted something different. Coach (Dabo) Swinney told D.J. Gordon (Clemson’s Assistant Director of Football Operations and Creative Media and Kornegay’s contact) that he wanted this one a little bit bigger; he wanted this one to stand out.

“I suggested that they might want to do that one in black and they could have everything smooth and polished. It’s a little bit different.”

The Alabama headstone was the star of the show in the four most recent tombstones which included one for last season’s 37-34 win over 12th ranked Florida State in Tallahassee, the 42-35 victory over 19th ranked Virginia Tech in the ACC Championship Game in Orlando and the 31-0 shutout of third-ranked Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl, played 10 days before the national title contest.

Those three 440-pound stones required two to three men affixing them to the base of the monument. The Alabama stone was an “all hands on deck” endeavor with six men needed to carry it from the truck to its rightful place in the cemetery.

Kornegay was in the stands for the national title game and had a perfect view of Hunter Renfrow’s touchdown catch with one second left in the game. While Clemson fans were busy celebrating, Kornegay’s friend, Kirk Brunson, who was seated next to Kornegay, knew the drill.

“When Renfrow caught that touchdown pass,” Kornegay said in describing the wild scene after the Alabama game, “Kirk looked at me and said, ‘Looks like we got another trip to Clemson coming.’”

In affixing the headstone, Kornegay and friends along with a member of the Clemson facilities staff rolled a cement compound under stone, which is propped up by two pieces of wood to make sure it stays in place. Before the stone is laid atop the base, though, Kornegay adds his own personal touch, something which he has done since taking on the task.

In each of the four corners, he places a quarter, face side up. “I always put four quarters underneath the headstone,” he said. “There’s four quarters in a football game and I always place the quarters heads up because we have to play heads up football in order to win those games. That’s one of the unique things that I do for each one.”

Kornegay’s first stone, that from the Miami game, was affixed to its base the day before that year’s Clemson versus South Carolina football game. The Tigers were then coached by Tommy Bowden who made little, if any fuss, about a new addition to Victory Graveyard. In fact, the first time Kornegay put a tombstone in the field, he was joined by friend Michael Culp Jr. Together, the pair put the 450-pound marker up and left.

“When I first started doing it,” Kornegay said, “Tommy Bowden was head coach and they would tell me what they wanted and we would put it in the Friday before the next home game. It wasn’t a big deal. We’d install it and it was over. Nobody was even there.”

Since Swinney, who calls Kornegay and friends “The Tombstone Crew”, took over for Bowden as the Tigers’ permanent head coach in 2009, graveyard ceremonies have become must-attend occasions. Last Wednesday afternoon, a few hours after the headstones had been affixed and the cement had set, Swinney, his staff and players made their way out to the cemetery before practice.

“Dabo, from day one, wanted to make a big deal out of it,” Kornegay said. “He knows it’s special. To beat Florida State in Tallahassee is a big deal for Clemson.

“Dabo usually takes the time to come over and sign autographs for everybody and pose for pictures. He’s very approachable.”

As the first headstone from the Florida State win was preparing to be unwrapped, Swinney pulled out a small plastic bag filled with dirt from Doak Campbell Stadium. He dug a small hole in front of the base and spread the dirt in it while talking about significance of the road win.

After the marker for the Ohio State victory was unveiled, Swinney called on his wife and fellow Alabama graduate, Kathleen. Together, they unwrapped the national championship stone which was enclosed under a national championship flag.

“Day in, day out. One day at a time. One victory at a time. One failure at a time and continuing to push through,” Swinney said of the significance of the monuments to landmark road wins. “What a blessing to be a part of a great tradition at Clemson. This is a tradition at Clemson that’s been here long before us. We’re happy to add to and be a part of it and that’s really what your job as a team is. It’s to build upon the tradition that’s here, embrace what’s here and add to it.”

As part of that special day last Wednesday, Kornegay, his daughter, Caroline, and their friends made an entire day of it. In early afternoon, former Camden High and Clemson offensive lineman and current Clemson graduate assistant coach Thomas Austin gave the large group a guided tour of “Dabo World” which left no stone unturned in making it the standard in college football facilities.

From sliding down the sliding board which connects one floor to the other to running down a replica of The Hill to the tune of Tiger Rag and to seeing the meeting rooms, cafeteria, weight room and special displays contained inside the facility, the group enjoyed the full Clemson football experience concluding by being invited to attend that afternoon’s spring practice session inside the indoor practice facility by Swinney.

“Usually,” Kornegay said these days, “everyone wants to go because it’s a kid thing. Clemson gives special treatment to all the kids. My daughter Caroline loves to go and likes taking buddies with her. They got to play around inside the practice facility and meet the players. This year, Caroline wanted to make sure she and her buddies could go down the slide in Dabo World. They loved that.”

Kornegay said he is ready to add to the collection of headstones which he has driven from Camden to Clemson. It is a task which never grows old. He said when he gets the call to order a new stone and put it alongside the others, he gets right to work in a process which takes a week to go from drawing board to being placed in the bed of his truck for the trip to the Upstate.

When Ricketts was at Clemson, he talked with Kornegay about straying from tradition and, possibly, erecting a stone to commemorate Clemson’s 1981 national championship team. That idea never got off the ground but, for Kornegay, there is one stone which might come close to rivaling that from the Alabama win. It could come in four years.

“I sure would love to put a Notre Dame stone in there in 2020,” he said with a smile.

10. Doc Louis

Doc Louis
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

just finishing off what Terry Don started way back when.

oh, and women's lacrosse instead of softball, pls.

11. Pawpride

Pawpride
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I had a relative visit Dabo world today. Nothing earth shattering besides the fact a 65 year old woman broke her ankle in 3 places going down the slide.

Also we apparently had 24k applicants this year and the average acceptance SAT score was 1298.
    Edit: We also had a 67% instate acceptance. Scar had 62%

#396 Pawpride, Mar 30, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    clemsontyger04 and TheTigerMan like this.
  12. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Would you say she "shattered" her ankle?

taking laps now

13. phil brickma

phil brickma
    Expand Collapse
    Resident North Tennessee Native
    RCUSA Original

I have a feeling that slide is going to be removed sooner than later.

14. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Get rid of the slide

DMX likes this.
  15. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Team keep the slide. You need to keep your glass half full. This woman can now paint her face and sit on the sideline.

16. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

Hahaha

17. Chad Lynch

Chad Lynch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Know Van and all those guys listed in the article....they are all tight with Shawn Elliott...

18. MauldinT

MauldinT
    Expand Collapse
    The pride of Simpsonville

Team keep slide here also

19. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

20. The Best Alive

The Best Alive
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Other than a flaming tiger paw that says"there is nothing behind the curtain" not sure what they missed

21. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

22. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

CLEMSON — Clemson fans had better visit it while they can, because pretty soon the gates of paradise will be locked to those hoping to get a peek inside.

No, we are not talking about the Baptistery of Saint John in Florence, Italy — rather the doors to the Allen N. Reeves Football Complex adjacent to the practice fields in Clemson, South Carolina, home to the 2016 national champion Clemson Tigers.

A tourist attraction similar to Disney World for many of the Tiger fans that have visited since its opening on Feb. 1, the complex is the home of a state-of-the-art weight room, coaches' offices, sleep areas, locker rooms, hydrotherapy pools, outdoor basketball court, dining facility, golf simulator, bowling alley, barbershop, and production studio, among other things.

But it is the home of the Tigers' trophies from the most recent national championship season, keepsakes that welcome visitors in the lobby of the facility.

The lobby, a popular photo spot for fans looking to get their picture taken with the trophies, also features the fan-favorite Nike Room — complete with a display case featuring all of the championship rings the program has given out, including the three from this past season for winning the ACC Championship, the College Football Playoff and the NCAA FBS National Championship.

With everyone wanting to get a glimpse or a photo inside the top-notch facility, the Tigers are preparing to tighten security, along with access to their $55-million-dollar home.

“We’ve had thousands of fans come through since February,” Clemson director of football recruiting and external affairs Thad Turnipseed said this past week. “So, we are going to tighten up all tours of the building for everyone. The only access to the building will be near the trophy in the lobby. That is fully in effect now, and will be even more so when the gate gets in at the end of the month.

“If you want a picture with the trophy — you can do that. But that’s it. The only thing available, period, is to walk in the front door and take a picture with the trophy.”

The reason for the enhanced security is simply that the building's first and primary function is to serve the players and the coaching staff — something that they were having a difficult time doing due to the limited parking spots available in front of the building and the sheer number of fans wanting to get a look at the building on a daily basis.

“Last Monday, we finished up the parking spots, and we had to do that project because of the popularity of the building,” Turnipseed said. “We would have somewhere between 100 and 200 cars per day with people driving through the parking lot and people stopping to look at the building and come in and take pictures with the trophies.

"Because of that, our players had no places to park.”

In order to aid in the control of who has access to the parking lot, the complex will soon feature a gate that will eliminate any unwanted visitors from gaining access to the facilities parking lot — meaning that anyone who wants to come in and get a picture with the trophies will need to wear comfortable shoes and be ready to walk a bit.

“We’re putting in a gate at the end of the month, before Sept. 1,” Turnipseed said. “After that, you will have to park in one of those spaces outside of the gate or park over in Jervey Meadows and walk over.”

While it may seem extreme, it is not only the fans who have caused some issues with the building functioning as it was intended — there have been between 25-30 teams that have come to tour the facility.

“There is a professional courtesy, and we have allowed them to come in and see what we have,” Turnipseed said. “Texas, Ohio State, Oregon and Michigan State brought their entire staffs down. Tennessee and Georgia sent people — I am missing people, but there have been a lot of schools.”

For Turnipseed, there is an understanding that the fan base simply wants a glimpse into the program — and, of course, the most famous trophy in college athletics.

While for the foreseeable future the chance to drive up and walk around the home of the Tigers is over, Turnipseed did leave the door open to changing the policy as soon as 2018.

"Maybe after football season we will try and come up with something,” he said.

But for now, Tiger fans will have to understand that the gate to paradise is about to arrive and be locked.

Clemson327 likes this.
  23. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I wish we would have told Ohio State to go fuck themselves.

24. The Best Alive

The Best Alive
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Pretty sure we already took care of that in the fiesta bowl

25. deutztiger

deutztiger
    Expand Collapse

So, I'm thinking we need to use this against OSU and UGA in recruiting. Hey, if there place is so much better why are they sending people to check out our stuff?

26. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

27. Doc Louis

Doc Louis
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Used to be a struggle just to get a nutritionist on staff. Now that ..

28. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)