DVU BBQ thread - This one won't go up in smoke

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Billdozer, Jul 20, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 49 users.
  1. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

I’m going to do the amazingribs.com smoked turkey. Will link later

2. HBG

HBG
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Cutig likes this.
  3. HunterPKP

HunterPKP
    Expand Collapse

Has anyone on here roasted a Pheasant before? If so, pointers/recipes? I'm ordering to do at my brother's house in Huntsville Weds night before Thanksgiving. Going duck hunting Thurs morning on the Tennessee River and hoping to bag a good bird for Fried Turduckey on Thursday as well.

4. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I skinned my pheasant, brined it and grilled it. Was great. I dunno about the turduckey with a wild duck. That just sounds bad haha.

5. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

If you want to roast it skin on you’ll have to pluck it as soon as you shoot it from what I’ve heard. They have incredibly thin skin so it’s fairly difficult to do.

6. HunterPKP

HunterPKP
    Expand Collapse

Could be. My brother did it last year and said it turned out well. He injected the duck just like you would a turkey. He attributed that taking away the gameyness.

7. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Interesting. Never would’ve thought about doing that.

8. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Cutig likes this.
  9. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I’ve never cooked a turkey before, but I can get a free one from the grocery store so I figured why not give that a shot

10. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce
    Expand Collapse

I, too, can get a free one from the grocery store. However I'm thinking your method is not as criminal as mine.

I'm definitely pushing to smoke a turkey but I'm not hosting this year...so we'll end up with a fried turkey. Maybe I'll take my smoker and do one anyway.

Cutig likes this.
  11. HunterPKP

HunterPKP
    Expand Collapse

If anyone knows a good place to order Pheasant online, let me know. D'artgnan is out of stock and that's my normal go to.

12. MauldinT

MauldinT
    Expand Collapse
    The pride of Simpsonville

13. HBG

HBG
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Frying a turkey ... to brine or not brine ?? that is the question

14. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Brine

15. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

Expand Collapse

Brine - but your question should be to either wet or dry brine.
    Meathead over at amazingribs.com goes through the specifics. I personally dry brine (just sprinkle on salt and let sit overnight) most of the stuff I make.

When we fry turkey we always inject too.

16. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I’ve never brined a fried turkey, and I can’t imagine what the point is. Brining is supposed to add moisture as well as the ability to retain moisture during cooking. This is important in a dry environment like an oven or smoker. This is basically irrelevant in an oil bath. If you have dry turkey that came out of peanut oil, you cooked it too long. There’s no other way to make dry deep fried turkey.

Now, I’ll inject the shit out of a fried turkey. My favorite is a bottle of Frank’s buffalo wing sauce—one bottle in a 13-14 lb bird. It’s delightful. Recommend doing that as a second bird because you’ll have people who will claim they don’t like it because they’re dead on the inside.

17. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

Expand Collapse

Yes this. Those who hate Frank's all up in their bird are people who don't know how to live.

Damn it now my mouth is watering

19B and TheTigerMan like this.
  18. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

Expand Collapse

Although I've never injected turkey with Frank's, just chicken breasts because I fucking love Frank's on chicken. I get a free turkey through work, guess I'll just have to put my Frank in it

Clemson327 and J_E like this.
  19. HBG

HBG
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Another fried turkey question if it may please the court.

I have to cook two. When #1 is done, what is proper way to store it and keep it warm while #2 cooks? Wrap in foil? Put in cooler in towels?

First time I've cooked two back to back.

20. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Put it on a cutting board and tent with foil, doesn't have to be overly tight. Should still be basically hot all the way through 40 minutes later. But why wouldn't you start cutting into that one before the second one comes out of the oil?

21. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

Expand Collapse

second what @19B said. You'll need rest time anyway before you cut so foil it until you're ready.
    @HotButteredGrits - unless you're wanting to cut both at the same time....?

22. HBG

HBG
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yeah, big family this year so having to cook two birds to feed feed all at one time. Only have the one pot so no choice but to cook back to back. Ill just treat like brisket and wrap it and plave in a cooler with hot towels as oven isnt an option either.

23. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

We’ve always wrapped it in a roaster pan. Usually serve two at once after frying them and one isn’t considerably colder.

HBG likes this.
  24. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The oiless fryer from charbroil is the best way to go.[​IMG]

25. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Had to jump into action for an emergency but this morning. Got to the store at 8:30, injected and rubbed, butt on the egg at 9:30. Currently sitting at 170*, just cruising until 3:30.

Clemson327 and cuangler like this.
  26. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Put a butt on last night before bed and it’s still not close to being done. It was 8lbs. Figured it would take 12-14 hrs and I would foil and cooler it until 7:00. I’m at 14 now and not even to 175*. I’m totally fine with that because I don’t have shit to do today other than watch games and the smoker.

27. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

28. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I would be curious to taste mine next to yours today to see how big a difference there is in the two methods. I pulled mine about an hour ago (4 1/2 hours for 4 lbs) at 195*. Cooked it at 350* due to the condensed time fame.

29. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

D1F458E4-7D07-4C5D-8751-EC85B582BBC6.jpeg

Roasted in the WSM with the @Billdozer vinegar mop. Subbed tomato paste for the ketchup and apple cider vinegar for the white vinegar

Billdozer likes this.
  30. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Looks great.

31. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Quarters and then BBQ and orange glazed wings

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mooser3586 likes this.
  32. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Did the Charleston Brown Water Society BBQ comp this weekend. Had to throw together a makeshift team since it was basically just me doing the cooking; one of the guys offered to do the side, since he makes good baked beans. Got out to Cooper River Brewing to set up at 6pm or so, and found out that a lot of people like that place. Parking lot was slammed, and we had no place to put our shit. So we bellied up at the bar and drank for a few hours while we waited for it to clear out. Judging was from 2-3pm on Sunday, so I wanted to get the brisket on by 6-7pm on Saturday to give me enough leeway, but didn't get it on smoke until 10:30. But we got to watch the whole game, enjoyed err bit of it. Napped for a few hours in the back of the truck, added charcoal and wood a few times, cruise control until daylight.

Supposed to be 8 teams, but 3 of them dropped out, because that's what this crowd of slackers does. The other 4 teams that did make it weren't fucking around though.

[​IMG]

Team next to us had 2 25 lb. Ossabaw guinea hog legs; meat was dark red like a ribeye, beautiful stuff.
    [​IMG]

Crabcakes and wings on second grill at 9am or so. Smoked crabcakes were kind of a throwaway just to have something for the Sea category. Experimented with them once a few weeks ago, so Sunday was my second attempt. Didn't even bother making a sauce or anything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Found out AS I was putting the brisket on the smoke the previous night that John Lewis was one of the judges. Immediately pooped my pants and questioned every major decision in my life up to that point. Rodney Scott and another guy from Southern Soul BBQ were the other two judges. Turned stuff in between 2-3pm for the three categories (Sea, Air, Land). There was also a craft cocktail category that I wasn't aware of until the night before, so we created a cocktail called "Four Roses Yellow Label Straight From the Goddamned Bottle". Didn't win anything, but everybody liked it. Winners announced at 4:30pm.

Sea: winner was...crabcakes? Not sure how that happened. There was some legit smoked fish, fried froglegs, and other good stuff, but the judges were digging plain old smoked crabcakes. Won a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 Yr.

Air: smoked wings didn't win, don't remember what won. Oddly, I thought my wings might have been the best of the 3.

Land: the majority of the effort from the 5 teams here. Brisket took it down. Our treasurer, Robert, is a BBQ expert--like, he's traveled all over the country and visited almost every joint of note, and written several books on BBQ. He was like "that took pretty big balls to come out here and make brisket." Won a bottle of Stagg Sr. Brandon said "you don't HAVE to open it now...but nobody would complain if you did." Peeled off the seal and took a swig, because we playoffin'.

[​IMG]

33. GobbledyGoo

GobbledyGoo
    Expand Collapse

I'm so close but some pics of the finished and cut meat could put me over the edge. Jus' sayin.

19B likes this.
  34. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I don't think anybody snapped a pic of me cutting it. The flat/ends were dry af, but the middle with the fat line (that the judges got, obviously)....lawd.

[​IMG]

35. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I have a boner now, thanks.

19B likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)