Dogs of DVU

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Cutig, Oct 13, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 37 users.
  1. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

So we finally settled on a kennel and litter. We will bring home our puppy in 4 weeks. I must say, this guys kennel is the nicest I have seen. Puppy was a couple hundred more than elsewhere but I was sold as soon as I visited. And they are big Clemson fans. Here's some pics of the mom and dad of our litter. Their website is www.upstategundogs.com

Mom
    IMG_3484.JPG
    IMG_3485.JPG

Dad

IMG_3486.JPG
    IMG_3487.JPG

cuangler, TCJ, Clemson327 and 5 others like this.
  2. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Let's hope they got mom's smarts.

Papa, TheTigerMan and Clemson327 like this.
  3. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

What am I missing?

4. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    Dean of Redneck Engineering
    RCUSA Original

My first thought as well.

5. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Meet our latest addition Boone. IMG_3686.JPG

6. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

12 weeks old now

IMG_3755.JPG

7. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

So, my old girl passed away a year ago Saturday. Had started jonesing for a new dog a couple months back and had placed a deposit on an aussiedoodle. Then, ran across an adoption agency last week that had some Hurricane Irma rescue dogs. Called about one on Thursday. Was supposed to go pheasant hunting Friday but they told me she was attendign an adoption event on Saturday - i Figured she was going to get adopted. So, canceled hunting and picked her up Friday. Seems to be primarily german shepherd and some sort of hound. Really bright. Some cocksucker abandoned her and her five litter mates (six weeks old) in Miami before the storm. I hate people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Good for you @TCJ

Your wallet is probably a lot fatter today too. The doodle variety prices are through the roof.

TCJ likes this.
  9. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Beautiful dog you rescued

TCJ likes this.
  10. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

Man that is awesome @TCJ , what a beautiful dog. That is a great story.

I was saying to myself as I opened this thread "damn I hope somebody got a puppy!" I hate it when it is other news.

11. NST

NST
    Expand Collapse

Gorgeous dog @TCJ. Congrats

TCJ likes this.
  12. tigerpawtattoo

tigerpawtattoo
    Expand Collapse
    ...thinking bout Tiger stuff
    RCUSA Original

Yeah, I think you lost yours not too long after I lost my lab. She was gone a year Oct.19th. It still hurts but I'm not sure what I would have done w/o our other dog. She was glued to my side for 2 months after Free passed. Congrats to you and the family on an amazing looking dog. We are thinking about adding one to get us back up to two as well.

TCJ likes this.
  13. NST

NST
    Expand Collapse

My girlfriends parents gave me this dog in August. Her name is Millie. Took this picture a minute ago when I got home from work.

They had an American bulldog on their farm with an unexpected liter of puppies. They had her for nearly 7 years and never saw her go into heat until July. No idea what the father is. Something with light eyes. She is a great girl but shes gonna be huge. At least 60 maybe 70lbs full grown.

[​IMG]

14. stevesmoothie

stevesmoothie
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

This is our pup, from when we got her to now when she's a year and a half...a ball of energy

Attached Files:

friedskillet, fishking, Styx and 5 others like this.
  15. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Free dog

28FB1056-AFAC-47DA-946C-B5FC4ABFD2EB.jpeg

16. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Damn.

I Came home today to my Clark's all chewed up. We've been two years with minimal chewing of anything important. Kinda pissed off about that even though they were probably 5 years old.

17. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yup. My dog has never done something like that. As soon as I walked in and neither dog came to say hi I knew something was up. My yellow dog was flat on the floor in the corner and the other ran to the other room.

One of my smoke detectors started beeping because of low battery while I was at work and she absolutely hates that. I’m guessing that was what did it. That door was closed when I left so I’m thinking she ripped that up trying to get away from the noise.

18. Chad Lynch

Chad Lynch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

My lab Woody

Attached Files:

19. Chad Lynch

Chad Lynch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Wife putting bows on him

Attached Files:

20. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

How old?

21. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Almost 7 months now.

4189F369-CC15-48EF-990B-A099F102208B.jpeg

57B40DE9-74F9-4BB3-ABE8-9A9487CF1BD3.jpeg

22. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

23. Chad Lynch

Chad Lynch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

14 months

Cutig likes this.
  24. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

My prince

Attached Files:

25. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Nbd

Attached Files:

26. clemsontyger04

clemsontyger04
    Expand Collapse
    Two Offensive Coordinators are better than 1
    First 38

He loves the snow

Attached Files:

tigerpawtattoo, fishking, 19B and 8 others like this.
  27. NST

NST
    Expand Collapse

Mine ate half of a cardboard box from Amazon last night in about 5 minutes where I wasn't paying her any attention. Has been having constant diarrhea all morning.

No pics, but its the most pitiful thing you've ever seen. Not sure how shes gonna survive a work day in her crate.

Here she is convalescing[​IMG]

Styx, stevesmoothie, fishking and 3 others like this.
  28. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Is this where we shamelessly post pictures of our children?

[​IMG]

Styx, stevesmoothie, fishking and 6 others like this.
  29. HBG

HBG
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Your are worried about how she is gonna survive locked in her crate all day while she has the runs .... you probably need to worry about how you are gonna deal with that mess when you get back home.

by the way, cute dog.

30. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Hope you put some newspaper around the crate. Last time my dog had the runs and was crates she made sure to aim through the bars

31. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Got a question for the dog experts. We have an 8 year old golden retriever/chow mix and we have been having issues for a while now with him and his food or food he may steal from the table. He will growl and snap at you if you try and take the food from him or mess with him while he is eating. We have two young kids and tonight he bit our oldest while he was trying to get some food back that the dog took from the table. It wasn’t a bad bite but he did break skin on one of his fingers and his arm is bruised some.

Am I overreacting by wanting to get rid of the dog? Is behavioral training something we should invest in first? I’m willing to try training but something has to change. I don’t want this to get any worse.

32. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Try not letting the dog in the kitchen while you eat. Sounds like the chow in him.

33. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yes, you can probably work on training to correct the issue. I haven’t dealt with that issue really, but I’d probably contact a professional so you can get it done right.

Getting rid of the pup at 8 years old should be absolutely the last resort, it won’t be easily adopted out at that age. Unless you know someone who is willing to take it.

34. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You aren’t overreacting.

Two years ago, we were in the same situation. We had a Lab that showed territorial tendencies and aggression. It slowly got worse. He bit me once when while trying to get something from him he wasn’t supposed to have. We tried to manage the situation until he eventually when after my wife’s face. He missed mostly, leaving her with only a bloody lip, but it could have and really should have been a life altering face injury for her.

We had to put him down the next week. Hardest day of my life. We still love and miss that dog, but he was too dangerous at that point.

It should have never gotten to that point though, and that’s my fault.

I’m not saying any of this to talk you into putting your dog down. Just that you’re right to take this seriously. It’s not going to get better on its own.

I’m sorry you’re in this situation. Hopefully yours has a happier ending.

35. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

This story sounds familiar—have you posted it here before?

I haven’t had to deal with a family dog with aggressive tendencies towards human family members, but my guess is that the dog either believes it is the alpha, or isn’t sure who the alpha is and jockeying for that position. I’ve always been a big advocate of establishing myself as alpha in no uncertain terms, and occasionally reminding the dog when it’s needed. My male GSD/Weim is at 90 pounds now, and he’s overly territorial whenever anybody new comes in the house—big, deep bark, hackles up, and he’s definitely capable of doing damage. He killed a Yorkie when I was walking the dogs back around Thanksgiving (awful story, and not Shep’s fault). But he has ZERO doubt about who’s in charge. He took a hot dog off the table last year and I chased him down the hallway where he cowered and pissed on the floor in anticipation of the coming beating. Haven’t had to lay an unfriendly hand in him since, and he’s my best buddy.

Again, not sure if that has anything to do with a dog being aggressive to your family, but if any dog bit my child or wife, it would have a near-death experience, and I can’t help but think that would mostly correct the behavior. I’m certainly not advocating animal cruelty, but they ARE animals, and pack animals at that. They HAVE to know their place in the pack, and if it takes physicality to establish that, well, that’s better than the alternative.

Styx, Clemson327 and NST like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)