Dogs of DVU

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Cutig, Oct 13, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 37 users.
  1. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

Sorry man. Instead of figuring out how to give old men boners they need to figure out how to give dogs a human life span. It sucks that the best friend you ever have is around for such a short time.

Styx and clemsontyger04 like this.
  2. eat a peach

eat a peach
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Sorry man ,very tough thing to have to endure

clemsontyger04 likes this.
  3. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Recently decided to foster a pup from the city shelter. They got in a beautiful black lab, so I picked her up Saturday. This dog is incredibly sweet, and extremely well trained. So sad that someone just got rid of her.
    Took her all of 5min in my apartment to decide it was her home.
    On the right.
    20160306_135543.jpg

4. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

IMG_1410.jpg
    Back when... The pups as pups.

5. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

so thinking of adopting this bluetick coonhound/beagle mix from a local rescue shelter. he had been abused as a pup and is very shy/depressed, but is just fucking adorable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i've never really had to deal with a rescue before, is there anything i need to know before going into it?

6. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Just make sure he interacts well with people. Had a rescue as a kid and he loved us but would bite anyone that walked into our yard. Parents were afraid of being sued so we had to give him away. When we got him they said he had been shot before.

friedskillet likes this.
  7. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

lady who runs the rescue shelter said he reacts very well with people, but smaller dogs he can't stand. he has real trust issues with males, but gets along very well with females. said i will have to work for his affection and trust, but gf shouldn't have a problem doing it

8. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

He could have been abused which could be the source of the trust with men. How does he act with you? You would just need to socialize him with other men. Regain that trust. He's a pretty dog.

9. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

shy at first. kind of cowered back and kept his tail between his leg. he was real friendly with the lady at the shelter though.

10. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Sounds like he would need some work. If you have the time you would really need to socialize him. Need to build up his trust again. If you don't have time for that then I wouldn't get him.

friedskillet likes this.
  11. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I would say do it. He looks like a wonderful dog. It will take some patience and a loving environment, but he looks to be reasonably young, has inquisitive eyes, and will likely come around pretty quickly to you and your family. Hounds are pretty resilient and adapt pretty well. Males are a little tougher than females if they are initially skittish due to past experiences, but my experience with hounds has been they almost always transform in a loving home. A steady supply of good consistent food, love, and attention in a stable environment will fix the ills of many breeds of dogs, but hounds especially.

TheTigerMan and friedskillet like this.
  12. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Don't worry too much about his past if he isn't agressive. Our last family dog was abused, but after a few weeks of getting used to us he was an amazing dog

friedskillet and Styx like this.
  13. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Same with my girl Penny, who was the emaciated beagle that I found hit in the road. After the vet fixed her up, it took her about a week to adjust to us and the other hounds. Now she loves me maybe more than the ones I raised up.

Females are a bit different, but this male will come around. I feel confident in that.

14. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

One thing to remember, a male dog will always favor a female human. Female dogs favor male humans. My boy Otis, who I raised and loved from a pup loves me to death. Outside, he will follow me around, is jealous and pushes his way in if I pet one of the other dogs, and loves to play and be around me outside. But if he is the inside dog for the week, and gets his bath, and is ready to chill on the couch, he jumps up on me and plays for a bit, then goes straight to my wife to snuggle and sleep. Every time. I can call to him and say Otis come here boy. He will wag his tail a bit half heartedly and stay put with the wife.

Just how they are. My female dogs want to snuggle up to me in the house. Just how they are wired.

Cutig likes this.
  15. Phil Miller

Phil Miller
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I've had good luck with rescues. First one was afraid of men but never was aggressive.

Other 2 females, one was older and loved everyone. The other female is still living and absolutely most loving dog ever. She isn't brilliant at obedience but great pet otherwise.

The one male we have is aggressive. He was neglected by family with kids and he doesn't do well with any stranger adult/kids. If an adult is inside long enough and earns his trust he is a sweet lap dog. And he is brilliant. He's done all this obedience but when there's a stranger he just loses all that and doesn't listen. He is more skeptical of men at first but then loves me and my father in law more than wife and mother in law.

All these dogs have been/are terriers so different personality. I think that breed/mix you are looking at would be great.

friedskillet likes this.
  16. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

To respond directly, there isn't anything special about caring for (outside of some special cases) a rescue. Just love the pup and it'll love you back. My labs were both abandoned by their shitty owners. The one I own was released after he was hit by a car, the foster was dumped in the middle of the night. Both are incredible dogs.

Styx and friedskillet like this.
  17. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

18. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Our dog is going to training for two weeks tonight. The wife is taking it hard already and he's not even gone yet.

19. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

Me and Ladybird had a long walk last night, this was her when I came home from lunch today...
    upload_2016-4-18_14-3-28.png

20. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

My brother in law and his wife were the same when he sent his lab off to be trained. Pretty sure her spoiling him since he's been back have pretty much ruined all the training. Don't think the BIL has taken him hunting yet, will be interesting to see if he retained any of his retriever training.

21. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Wife picked up the dog last week from his camp after 10 days. We shipped him off for general obedience, but the main issues were him nipping at us and jumping on us and new people when he met them. He is smart as hell but everything that we tried failed and with a baby on the way we wanted it fixed ASAP.

Well Murphy version 2.0 is much improved. We are very happy with the results but now that he is home all he wants to sleep and he seems very lethargic around the house. The first 2 days we thought he was just worn out from being around other dogs and maybe readjusting to being back home. Now 4 days removed from being gone he isn't really into playing and chasing the ball and playing in the yard. Wife took him on his normal 3 mile walk the other day and he just plopped down in the road and refused to walk any more. Took him to the beach and he went wild all morning Saturday, but as soon as he walked back into the house he was like fuck the place and laid down all afternoon.

Wife took him to vet today and everything checked out fine. They had no idea what was wrong. Anyone had anything similar happen to their dog after an extended time away?

22. gftiger

gftiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

How old is your dog? Reason I ask is people told me to take our dog to obedience school too. My dog was 1yr old and had same issues. We adopted her from animal shelter but she soon grew out of it

23. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

That's the downside to not doing it yourself. It's just hard to find the time to truly do it yourself right.

24. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I think he's about 7 months now. His litter mates were shipped out when he was around 6 weeks old. The person we bought from tried to get us to pick him up then because they were going on vacation but we refused and got him at 7. We were pretty annoyed because that's an important time for them to learn socialization skills and bite inhibition. We really think the constant nipping was from that. We would take him to our inlaws who have a pair of Bostons and I would let them rough him up a bit when he would start nipping them. That seemed to help a good bit too.

Last night he was a lot better. Active the whole time, very playful again. I hope that was just a little funk he was in from being gone for a while.

25. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Photo my sister took of my labs this weekend FB_IMG_1463371387956.jpg

Styx, Clemson327, TheTigerMan and 7 others like this.
  26. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

We've been dogless for most of a year since the wife's last cocker spaniel died, and honestly, I've kind of enjoyed it since that dog was such a terrible, awful creature. I'm a dog person, and that animal left a bad taste in my mouth. Wife has been getting the itch to bring another pup into the house, and I wanted to hold off at least until after we go on vacation for 8-9 days in July. But...got talked into going to look at some 6 month old siblings that were posted on the community website last week. Mother is a pure-bred German Shepard, and the owner had plans to mate her. He ended up being rushed to the hospital with kidney stones, and his wife forgot to lock the mother up in the bedroom before rushing out the door. Their Weimaraner (also full-blooded, guy has had them his whole life) took advantage of the situation. They gave away 6 of the litter and kept a male and a female, and begrudgingly came to the realization that 6 dogs is too many, so they had to give these two siblings away. I KNEW if I went over to look at the dogs with the wife and kids in tow, they were both coming home with us. Here they are on our couch.

[​IMG]

Had no idea that a Shepard/Weimaraner mix would look almost identical to a black lab, but they do. They were completely freaked out being in a new place; the male hid under our car for 30 minutes before the previous owners came over with the mother to coax him out. Guy told me the female has a lot more Weim personality in her--more loving, and will show her belly to anyone if it involves petting. The male is more of the Shepard personality--protective, and he's got a BIG bark for a 55 lb. dog. Not sure how big they'll get--the mother Shepard was small; father is bigger than these two. They're both still really scared of me, and will scamper out of the room whenever I walk in; seem to be ok if I'm sitting down, so maybe it's the height or something. They've both taken immediately to the kids and women in general.

Think they're going to end up being great family dogs once they're transitioned and comfortable.

Pawpride, Tigers, Styx and 6 others like this.
  27. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Failed at dog fostering. Adopted the black lab I've been taking care of for the shelter this past weekend

28. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

That's all part of their evil plan.

29. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

After 3 months she finally got some applications at the shelter.. But her and the yellow dog are now best friends. No way I was letting her go at this point

30. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

Any of you guys have any experience with Australian shepherds?

31. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

My aunt has an Australian Shepherd and a Border Collie at her place. She has 20 or so cows, and those two dogs are brilliant. She can tell them to go get the cows, and they will round them up and herd them back to the barn area in no time. /coolstorybro.

Anyway, both are extremely intelligent and very sweet dogs.

32. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I rode with my friend when he picked up his Australian Shepard back in the day. The thing was probably 3 months old I would guess. As soon as we got home he got loose and in no time had herded about 10-15 cows into the tightest circle and was nipping at their heels if they were the slightest bit out of line. It was really cool.

But they are very high energy dogs. Make sure you have A LOT of room for them.

33. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Some friends of ours have a 6 month German shorthair that he's wanting to give away. Only reason is because they have 3 boys and just got pregnant unexpectedly with twins. Anyone here interested or have any friends that might be? It's a beautiful dog. Birth date December 1 and has papers. It's a male. I have a GSP and love it. Great family dog and one of the smartest hunting breeds I've been around. Mine stays inside but you definitely want a yard or other avenue to let them run.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

34. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

tboon6317 likes this.
  35. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

Pretty proud of my boys this weekend. Got a couple of mutts from the humane society, but one looks like and acts like an American Pit Bull Terrier, and the other looks like and acts like a Wirehaired Vizsla. Around 5:30am they started barking urgently enough that I got out of bed to let them out and they immediately ran to my grill. They each get on a side and start sniffing and barking at it and sticking their noses under the cover. I move it out from the wall where I keep it and I see a tail sticking out from under the cover, and they're going crazy the whole time. Eventually an opossum runs out and jumps off the deck. They take off the opposite direction to the stairs, powerslide around the corner on the deckboards and jump down the stairs. Opossum got about 5 feet before they covered the 10 yards to track him down. The vizsla is fast as hell and got their first. He immediately snatched it and probably crushed it's spine from how it looked. Didn't let them play with it long and put it out of it's misery and buried it in the woods, but it was pretty awesome watching them work and do what they are meant to do. They were both so happy and proud they had protected their turf.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)