Dogs of DVU

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Cutig, Oct 13, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 37 users.
  1. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

I know we have some dog owners here.

Anyone have a recommendation for a dog bed that can stand up to chewing? My lab is a dick, he has eaten 7 beds now.

fishking likes this.
  2. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

3. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Sounds like how ours was. I miss that asshole.

4. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

Have you ever tried that dog chewing deterrent spray?

Also, would love to know what other DVU'ers are dog owners, and what kind of Dog, with pictures n shit.

It was one of my favorite threads on TMB years ago and I stopped going there.

I'm on work computer and I'll post mine later.

Cutig likes this.
  5. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

We tried it with ours. Didn't slow him down at all.

And heaven help you if you get that stuff on your hands and don't realize it. :gross:

CUpigpen12 and Cutig like this.
  6. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

Gotcha... Never tried it as mine luckily has never cared for chewing anything

7. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That thread on TMB isn't nearly as active anymore. Rarely gets any posts now.

Haven't tried a deterrent spray, though I don't think I'd want to soak his bed in it. He's usually great, but recently his separation anxiety has been getting bad. He's 2 and a half, but I had to start crating him again because when I left him out for work he was wandering around the apartment selecting random things to shred and leave all over the living room floor. His favorites recently were some xbox game cases, cardboard boxes, and his bed

8. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Dogs are the shit
    [​IMG]

Pawpride, gvtiger07, Styx and 9 others like this.
  9. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Currently dog-free and enjoying the shit out of it. I had two Goldens and lost them to cancer in 2005 and 2011, and since then, had to deal with 19She's two old-ass shithead cocker spaniels. One of them was tolerable; he had to be put down last year. The other one...godalmighty, this was the worst animal ever created. Total asshole. He hated me, and I absolutely HATED him. Little fucker finally kicked the bucket earlier this year at 16 years old. I was convinced he was going to live to 22 and set some cocker spaniel record just to spite me.

The urge to get a dog is creeping back in, but I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet. 19She will have no part in ruining my new dog like she did with her dogs.

10. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Had a black lab, but my daughter was allergic so he had to go. Had to dig around and found a Shih-tzu poodle mix that was ok for her. Not a fan of small dogs, but she's pretty cool, kinda looks like Snoopy, and is shaggy, so that's OK I guess. Plus, when people ask what kind of dog I have I get to tell them she's a Shit Poo.

Attached Files:

11. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I've always bought my dog beds from LL Bean

mooser3586 likes this.
  12. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

Shit Poo is just fantastic

TheWampa likes this.
  13. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I just bought a cockapoo for my wife. I never thought I would buy a small dog but my wife has wanted one for years and her best friend just moved 3 hours away, so I bit the bullet to help her (and me) out. At least they are hypoallergenic and shed very little.

14. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

Got a couple of awesome rescues. Pit bull terrier mutt Sammy and wirehaired vizsla mutt Hercules.

Attached Files:

15. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Your dog is a fucking lunatic.

u jelly likes this.
  16. HIIMTROYMCcLURE

HIIMTROYMCcLURE
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

My mom breeds them and gave one to my wife. I'm surprised at how cool of a dog she is, just happy all the time. Pain in the ass to house train though, took us like 6 months and from what I read it is pretty common with that breed.

17. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

image.jpeg image.jpeg I have a Getman Shorthaired Pointer and a Bullmastiff.

18. Irish Red Homebrew

Irish Red Homebrew
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Try this:
    Friend of mine went to Saluda River pet store to get something to stop his dog chewing stuff. The manager yelled for one of his workers to get a product and bring back to the counter. As they were waiting, my friend started to relay all of the stuff the dog had chewed. The manager stopped him and asked if his dog was a lab. When told yes, he shouted at the worker, "Never mind."

He then said that the only thing he knew would work with a lab was to get habanero peppers and to crush their juice into vasoline and mix it up. Apply the vasoline to any furniture or items you wanted to make sure to protect. Then, crush a habanero and touch it to the dog's lips. Said the dog would never touch anything with that smell on it.

Cutig likes this.
  19. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

How old is your lab? When one of mine was younger, he constantly went through beds when he got bored. He finally stopped due to a combination of maturing (huge difference at the 3 year mark), making sure he had other rope toys and rawhides to chew on, and not giving him a bed in his crate for awhile where he did most of the damage.

tigerpawtattoo and Cutig like this.
  20. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

He's 3 in february. He gets his bones and blankets in his crate now and that is it

21. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

This is mine. Half Bloodhound/half Redbone coonhound.
    Rescue, got her at 42 lbs, now she hovers around 72.

coming up on 1 year next week since the rescue. had every worm you could have.

she's 3, lazy, and cool as hell. Bays like a bloodhound

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Dem eyes
    :itsglorious:

DC3 and Krombopulus Michael like this.
  23. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

I have 7 beagles and a rescue that I have identified as a brindle Black Mouth Cur or Mountain Cur. They are great dogs.

This is Otis. He is the pappy of the litter of 7 pups we raised last year. Momma dog is named Sally. I kept 4 of the pups, gave two to my sister and bro in law for my niece, and one to my buddy for his kids.

Attached Files:

#23 Styx, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  24. clemsontyger04

clemsontyger04
    Expand Collapse
    Two Offensive Coordinators are better than 1
    First 38

Today is his 12th Birthday. Not sure how much longer he will be around because he continues to get tumors in his mouth and the last one came back cancerous. His name is Bowden (wife named him) but he is my PIC.

[​IMG]

Animal Mother, TCJ, gvtiger07 and 7 others like this.
  25. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

This is Zero. Pic taken in the snow several years ago. He was 12 years old in this pic. I had to have him put down when he was almost 15, which is remarkable age for a dog his size. I cried like a child. I had him from a 6 week old pup. He was my boy. Malamute and German Shepard mix. Great dog. Great friend.

Attached Files:

26. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

7 beagles? Do you hunt bear or something? And a buddy of mine has a black mouth curr and that dog is all muscle.

27. Pawpride

Pawpride
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

This is Smoke. He is a black lab mixed with a cur dog, rescued him from a pack of wild dogs at my farm and he is an amazing hunting dog. Can do it all with no training.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

friedskillet, boscohell, TCJ and 14 others like this.
  28. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'll give you the tl;dr story. Wife and I before we married adopted the female black mouth cur as an 8 week old puppy from the pound. She is an extremely sweet, people loving 60 lb ball of athletic muscle named Charlie. Had her for about a year when my wife bought me Otis in the pic above as a 6 week old birthday present. Wife knew I loved beagles. I raised them as a kid with my dad and rabbit hunted a ton as a boy/teenager. So we had the two dogs and they were great together. Charlie is spayed, so no concern about beagle/cur mix puppy surprise. Well, my niece just fell in love with Otis when I first got him and wanted a beagle. My sister asked me if I was ever going to raise beagles again. Got my wife thinking about getting a female beagle. So next thing I know, my wife has found a hunter down below Hopkins who raises beagles from an award field trial line out of Sumter. That is where Sally, the momma dog came from. Got her as a 8 week old puppy just before Christmas that year. So we had 3 dogs, Charlie 2yrs old, Otis 1 yr, and Sally 8wk. And my niece immediately starts hounding me (no pun intended) wanting to know when Sally can have puppies (thanks to my sis). So I told her she would have to wait until Sally was old enough.

Around the time Sally was a year old, I went to the trash dump and to pay the water bill. On my way back, I come upon a beagle that had been hit by a car and was laying in the road. Now user Styx can be a hard asshole about many things, but I am a big softie with dogs (pets in general). So I scoop the poor girl up (she was malnourished, no collar) and hauled ass to my vet and told them I found this injured beagle and to please help. They checked her out, stitched up a couple small cuts, and found out that other than a few small scrapes, cuts, and bruises she would be okay. So I paid the $500ish vet bill, and home with me came Penny the road rescue beagle who was older and looked like hell, but now is shiny and healthy and happy as hell to have found a good home. Up to four dogs at that point.

When Sally came into her 3rd heat cycle, she was about 20 months old, so I let Otis have his go, and they went. I figured first litter, she'd have prolly 3 or 4 pups (which is about normal for beagles from my recollection when I was younger), I would keep one, give the sister one, and give a buddy or two one. Well, she had her pups, all SEVEN of them with no runt (3 boys, 4 girls). All 7, fat healthy and happy. I am in OH SHIT mode at this point. What in the fuck am I going to do with all these puppies? So I talked my sister into taking 2 (1 boy, 1 girl) and one of my buddies took 1 girl. Another friend of mine wanted one, but his wife balked 'cause she is a sorry bitch. So I had 4 grown dogs and 4 beagle pups. As of now, there is Charlie 5 yr, Otis 4 yr, Sally 3 yr, Penny not sure but likely around 8 yr, and the pups who are a little over a year old -- Frank, Pudge (I call him Leroy mostly, pronounced La-Roy, he will come running to both names), Smudge, and Jimmy (yes, a girl beagle named Jimmy).

I went to Lowes, bought about $1500 in lumber, tin, and 2x4 welded wire, and I built a large double dog kennel (3 boys plus Charlie on one side, 4 female beagles on the other) with a tin slightly sloped roof over the back half for shade and rain. Then bought 4 large igloos to go with 2 large barn style dog houses, and the hounds were all set. Each weekend now on rotation, I bring one dog in on Thursday afternoon, give him or her a bath, and that is the house puppy for the weekend. They go back out to the kennel during the week. Then repeat.

I let my dogs out into the fenced yard every afternoon, they run and play and howl and have a big time while I rake their kennels and give them food (they eat about 50lbs of River Run Hi-Energy every 10 days) and fresh water. Then play with them until we are all worn out. Great dogs, every single one. No man's money could buy one of them.

#28 Styx, Oct 14, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
    hawk217, 19B, TheTigerMan and 6 others like this.
  29. CUpigpen12

CUpigpen12
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I didn't think it was really coming out so I kept spraying it one day - all over my hands and shit. Fast forward to that afternoon and I hopped in the shower. Shit vaporized and left me blind with an assaulted pallette. Was the absolute worst.

TheTigerMan and fishking like this.
  30. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

TIL user @Styx is Crazy Dog Lady.

[​IMG]

Pawpride, TheWampa and Styx like this.
  31. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

Another tough one today for me. Just a few months after losing my 13 yr old yellow lab, I had to put down my 12 yr old (turned 13 next month) chocolate lab, Nonie. She had been dealing with general old age bullshit for a while as far as having difficulty getting around, and she had a flap in her larynx that some labs get that inhibited her breathing if she ever got overheated (vet told us not to operate at her age). Final straw was inoperable liver cancer, and she totally lost her appetite this week. She was a sweetheart of a dog; one of those who you barely knew was in the room because she was so mellow. She was super low maintenance and just liked to have her tummy rubbed. If you took her out into the wild, though, she had a fucking gallop like she was shot out of a cannon and loved to go pond swimming. My in-laws have her sister still, so it will be tough seeing her next time.

This is actually my third fucking time since June making this trip to the vet. I had to put down our oldest cat back in August. I'm a dog person, but that cat was a cool little guy, and he and Scrappy (yellow lab) were absolutely my wife's babies. Both of them followed her around every step for over a decade. She has been in tears a lot lately.

Anyway, I know we were lucky to have them for so long. Just hard to say goodbye when they have been with you almost as long as your children. I still have my SC mutt that we rescued off the street. I'll post her pic sometime to see what you guys think about her mix. Here's Nonie, though. RIP sweet girl.

[​IMG]

gvtiger07, 19B, Styx and 14 others like this.
  32. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    Dean of Redneck Engineering
    RCUSA Original

That sucks. I hope both of ours reach that age.

tboon6317 likes this.
  33. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Hate to hear that. I've been there. I can't imagine doing what you've done in a matter of a few months. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

That's a beautiful dog.

tboon6317 likes this.
  34. clemsontyger04

clemsontyger04
    Expand Collapse
    Two Offensive Coordinators are better than 1
    First 38

35. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

So sorry for your losses. That has to be hard as hell to go through

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)