Deshaun Watson Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Tigers, Apr 7, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 108 users.
  1. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Had this sweet little ole lady I work with that's here for the week working on a project come up to me and say thanks for sendingus a Quarterback! We love him! Did you hear what he did with his first game check?

Doc Louis and TheTigerMan like this.
  2. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Currently the 4th best odds to win MVP according to Vegas:

[​IMG]

3. the great pumpkin

the great pumpkin
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Last I saw, his Rookie of the Year odds were something absurd like -800. It must be so miserable being a fan of a team that passed on him.

Doc Louis and Dirty Ears Bill like this.
  4. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That's amazing considering the year Fournette and Hunt are having.

cut68 likes this.
  5. cut68

cut68
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Those guys are good players. Deshaun Watson is a generational talent

Phillipdn likes this.
  6. MedicalTiger

MedicalTiger
    Expand Collapse
    Pessimist, MD
    RCUSA Original

Deshaun is currently serving as a guest speaker at a Habitat for Humanity function tonight.

7. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Sean Ryan has plenty of experience coaching players with swaggering confidence matched by their ability to make creative, and electrifying, highlight-worthy plays that change games.

Before Ryan became the Texans' quarterbacks coach this year after a one-year stint coaching a receiving corps headlined by DeAndre Hopkins, he was the New York Giants' receivers coach and was instrumental in the early development of star wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.

Now, Ryan is again collaborating with one of the top young players in the NFL in Texans rookie quarterback sensation Deshaun Watson.

Although Watson and Beckham play different skill positions, Ryan sees some parallels in coaching both young players..

"I would say they do have some similarities because you realize how good these guys can be," Ryan said. "It's exciting. I think probably the confidence they have and the confidence you have in those guys as a coach, looking at the possibilities. 'Do we think we can run this? Absolutely, we can run that with this guy.' They're similar that way."

To say Ryan is thoroughly enjoying this coaching experience would be a massive understatement. He's thrilled with more than Watson's vast athleticism, arm strength and improvisational skills.

He loves the personality and leadership Watson has displayed and how much he wants to be coached hard and constantly improve. Watson has a hunger to learn not always seen in such a talented athlete.

Leads league in touchdowns

Watson leads the NFL with 15 touchdown passes and all players in the league with 17 total touchdowns. He's on pace to finish the season with 40 touchdown passes.

"No question, I think sometimes guys talk a lot about his mobility, his athleticism. It's all valid, but the other thing, too, is the guy stands in the pocket and can deliver the football," Ryan said. "He understands defenses and what they're doing to him. He's done that, too. I think sometimes that gets lost in the shuffle because he is so athletic. But he's a smart football player.

"It's fun. It's exciting because you've seen how he's grown since he got here and you know how serious he takes his work. You expect him to continue developing. It's not only what you've accomplished, but, more importantly, what there is out there potentially."

Working closely with Ryan, head coach-offensive coordinator Bill O'Brien and assistant quarterbacks coach Pat O'Hara, the first-round draft pick from Clemson has the most touchdown passes by a rookie in his first six games in NFL history.

Watson and Ryan have enjoyed trading ideas on how to attack defenses and have meshed well in their first year working together.

"It's a good relationship," Watson said. "It's all positive vibes in that whole quarterback room. We have a good time. We have fun with it, and we know when to make sure we're taking care of our business and then at the same time, we know how to sit back and relax and kind of just have fun and joke around."

The Texans' coaching staff takes input from Watson in building game plans and incorporates some of his ideas. The Texans have married college option concepts with traditional pro-style elements. They rank third in the NFL in scoring offense with an average of 29.5 points per game.

"It's good, it's a give and take," Ryan said. "We present him with, 'This is how we'll attack the defense,' and he's able to pipe in there with things he had success with at Clemson. We listen and he has good ideas.

"It's a lot of fun. It just makes game-planning more fun because it's creative. You get to kind of change things up. It's not the same week-in and week-out. You are looking at different things that you can add."

Watson is the first rookie in NFL history with three or more touchdown passes in three consecutive games, throwing 12 in the Texans' past three games. He's the first to do so since Butch Songin in 1960.

These are undoubtedly Pro Bowl-caliber numbers that Watson is piling up.

"I don't think we ever focus on it," Ryan said. "Certainly, you're trying to just perform offensively at a high level. I try not to look at the numbers, to be honest with you. The only numbers that matter are in February in Minnesota(site of the Super Bowl). We're trying to keep that in perspective and not focus on it."

Scratching the surface

The Texans and Watson are looking for continued exponential growth as they prepare for next week's game against the Seattle Seahawks. The Texans want him to continue to work on diagnosing blitz packages and coverages to build on his rare ability to improvise and adapt on the fly.

"No question, there's no doubt that we've got to continue to get better," Ryan said. "It's about ball security, it's about reading defenses, making great decisions. There's always room for improvement. We're scratching the surface. We just have to keep going.”

8. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Deshaun Watson demonstrates pitfalls of projecting college QBs

There’s 12 minutes, 10 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter of a Week 5 game between the Chiefs and Texans at Houston’s NRG Stadium. Trailing 26-13, Houston faces second-and-6 at the Kansas City 48-yard line. Under center is Deshaun Watson, the 22-year-old rookie quarterback making his fourth career start, against arguably the league’s best (and, at the time, only undefeated) team.

Watson receives the snap before faking a handoff to running back Lamar Miller, but as he turns his gaze downfield to survey the landscape of his receivers, Chiefs lineman Rakeem Nunez-Roches scoots through the line unblocked. The pivot is seemingly dead to rights. But where most first-year QBs would be expected to cower like deer in the headlights, Watson instinctively shuffles to his left, miraculously avoiding a presumed sack, then heaves the ball downfield into the awaiting arms of receiver Will Fuller for a spectacular touchdown.

It’s a sequence that perfectly encapsulates the intangibles Clemson coach Dabo Swinney cited when comparing Watson to Michael Jordan ahead of the 2017 NFL Draft. Watson also had a sterling resume after his three-year college career, which included vanquishing juggernaut Alabama on a last-second touchdown in the 2017 national championship game. He was a proven winner. But NFL minds evidently harbored doubts that his college success would translate to the pros, as Watson was the third quarterback off the board, after Mitchell Trubisky (Bears) and Patrick Mahomes (Chiefs), and the 12th player drafted overall in April.

Through six NFL games, including five starts, Watson appears to have plenty of that “other stuff” Swinney saw in his pupil. He ranks ninth league-wide in passer rating (101.1); fifth in DVOA (23.5 percent), an advanced metric representing value, per play, over an average QB; and first in ESPN’s Total Quarterback Rating (80.7).

Mark Schofield, a quarterback analyst for Inside the Pylon, was high on the two-time Manning Award winner heading into the draft, believing Watson could overcome some of the limitations others had fixated on.

“Watson, for me, was my top quarterback in last year’s class,” Schofield said. “I thought a lot of the hesitation-slash-criticism that was levied his way in the pre-draft process - some of it was warranted, some of it I think was a little bit overblown. I think people, when you get down to it, really sort of overthought Deshaun Watson.

“But, at the same time, there were some red flags with him.”

[​IMG]
    Watson was the 10th-most accurate FBS passer in 2016 by completion percentage, but tied for the second-most interceptions with 17. What’s more, 14 of those 17 picks came when he was not under pressure, according to CFB Film Room.

Naysayers labeled Watson a “one-read” quarterback, incapable of smoothly working through progressions and the beneficiary of an uncomplicated offense. His velocity number (49 mph) at the NFL Scouting Combine was also alarmingly low, adding credence to the argument Watson would struggle on routes that require elite arm strength.

“People questioned his arm strength, questioned him being able to make throws to the boundary,” Schofield said, “but if you watched him on film, timing routes - where he could use touch, placement, anticipation to an extent on routes to the boundary - that was when he was at his best. If he had to drill a throw into a tight throwing window ... not really for him.”

Schofield sees Watson’s early success in Houston as a perfect example of the importance of scheme fit. Texans coach Bill O’Brien is a disciple of the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system, utilized by the New England Patriots and considered a simpler study than the West Coast offense for young quarterbacks. Unlike Los Angeles Rams quarterback Jared Goff - who struggled mightily as a rookie in 2016 after converting from a spread offense in college to a conservative, pro-style system - Watson isn’t being asked to drastically alter his style of play.

Matt Waldman, author of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio draft guide, said the Texans have further eased Watson’s transition to the pros by “dressing up” their offensive concepts with play fakes, read-option fakes, and end-arounds, which play well to his strengths as a run threat and play-action passer.

According to Sharp Football Stats, Watson has actually been a more successful runner than Cam Newton this season when taking into account down and distance to go, averaging 7.2 yards on 28 carries.

Waldman slotted Watson within the top five QBs in the draft class, and expected the rookie to show flashes of a bona fide NFL starter.

“Where he’s surprised me is that his drop game, while it’s not perfect, his ability to really nail three- and five-step drops from under center, and really get into a good position early, is better than what we saw from Carson Wentz,” Waldman said. “I would say it’s even better than what we saw from Dak Prescott. And both Watson and Prescott didn’t play under center in their offenses on a consistent basis while they were in college.”

[​IMG]
    After becoming the first rookie quarterback in the Super Bowl era with three touchdown passes in three straight games, Watson’s stock is soaring. But Houston’s final 10 games following its bye week could be a stiff test, Waldman cautions, as teams begin to accumulate tape on Watson’s habits and weaknesses.

It takes most quarterbacks two-to-three years to develop, if they ever do, Waldman said, and continuity in coaching, teammates, and scheme are vital.

“You have a better chance of predicting a coin flip than you do a first-round quarterback developing into a good player. And to me, one year doesn’t do it," he said. "I like what Watson’s doing, but I’m more of a long game kind of guy.”

With multiple winless teams, including the perennially QB-starved Cleveland Browns, next year’s quarterback-heavy draft looms large. However, don’t expect consensus on the bevy of top prospects as scouts and analysts begin to pore over film in search of vulnerabilities.

Both USC’s Sam Darnold and Wyoming’s Josh Allen, two preseason darlings at the top of countless draft boards, have underwhelmed under the microscope, opening the window for Lamar Jackson (Louisville), Baker Mayfield (Oklahoma), and Josh Rosen (UCLA) to stake their claim as the top passer available.

“What I think we really saw during this last draft process was sort of the life cycle of quarterback evaluations, and we’re seeing it play out right now,” Schofield said. “Guys get put on pedestals; guys get anointed as the next sure thing. Going into last year, Watson and (former Miami quarterback) Brad Kaaya were pointed to as top-five draft picks and they fell throughout the process because people start digging in more, they start nitpicking, they start seeing things, and they turn on them a bit.”

Although it’s too early for a verdict, a handful of teams may come to regret talking themselves out of Watson.

“As far as some of the teams passing on him, I was a little bit surprised. I think some teams are definitely kicking themselves, at least right now," Schofield said. "I think if he continues on the path like he’s shown so far, more and more teams will join that list."

9. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

So this just happened on the UL-FSU broadcast, and I'm assuming it's not a coincidence. The two broadcasters, Mark Jones and Rod Gilmore, were talking about how nobody is mentioning Lamar Jackson as a Heisman candidate and how he is the lowest profile returning Heisman winner they can remember. Jones actually said "he was the best player in the country last year", and then they eventually go to commercial once that drive concludes.

During that commercial, I tweet at both of them together and politely remind them that Deshaun was the best player in the nation the last two seasons and got robbed twice. Neither one has responded, but on the very next drive they start talking about Lamar again and how Louisville is 4-6 in their last 10 games, and Gilmore literally says "many people believe that Deshaun Watson was the best player last year" and then mentions how Clemson beat UL again this year already.

A few drives later, now they're talking about how Deshaun's great play in the NFL is helping Lamar's draft prospects.

Nothing earth shattering, but I thought it was pretty cool that they acknowledged the Deshaun robbery.

#2109 tboon6317, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  10. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I heard that convo and it was definitely pretty satisfactory how they were implying LJ hopes to be the next Deshaun. His NFL success has blown everyone away.

11. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Jackson doesn’t have the mental makeup to be the next Deshaun Watson. More blesssed athletically, but not between the ears.

tigerpride, DMX, Adam and 8 others like this.
  12. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Through six weeks, Deshaun Watson has the most popular rookie jersey
    Posted by Mike Florio on October 21, 2017, 9:25 PM EDT
    [​IMG]
    Getty Images

Texans rookie quarterback Deshaun Watson has emerged quickly as one of the best players in the NFL. He likewise has the best-selling jersey among all rookies.

According to NFLShop.com, from the start of the regular season through Week Six, the top-selling jersey belongs to Watson.

No. 2 belongs to Steelers linebacker T.J. Watt, followed by Bears quarterback Mitch Trubisky, Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt, Panthers running back Christian McCaffrey, Jaguars running back Leonard Fournette, Vikings running back Dalvin Cook, Jets safety Jamal Adams, Steelers running back James Conner, and Browns safety Jabrill Peppers.

Browns defensive end Myles Garrett could soon join the list, if he keeps playing like he has during his first two games. 49ers quarterback C.J. Beathard could as well, if his team manages to upset the Cowboys on Sunday.

Clemson327 likes this.
  13. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

14. tigerbaitnatl

tigerbaitnatl
    Expand Collapse

I wish he had infinite years of eligibility. He’s the greatest player I’ll ever see at Clemson and I have no problem admitting that.

15. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

16. Phillipdn

Phillipdn
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

"I would have pulled every muscle in both of my groins if I'd tried to do that."

At least Tom Savage knows his limitations.

17. the great pumpkin

the great pumpkin
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Torn ACL in practice.

Life is not fair.

18. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Fuck fuck fuck. He was getting legend status. Fuck man. This hurts bad :(

19. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Need to take all sharp objects away from Nuk.

TheTigerMan and u jelly like this.
  20. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That really blows. Absolutely hate it for the guy.

Here's to hoping he comes back as strong as he did for us

21. Tigers

Tigers
    Expand Collapse
    All around cool guy
    Staff Member

Noooooooooooooooo why god

22. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

23. fishking

fishking
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

24. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

This sucks.

Looks like my Sunday afternoons are open again.

TCJ, Squints and Junkyard Dog like this.
  25. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'm legit upset. I don't doubt he will come back where he left off but the things he was doing was unprecedented. Hate for anything to throw him off the track he was on. Sure hope it isn't something that lingers forever and changes the way they call plays because he was changing the game with his style, read options, play actions, and running threat. Goddamn this fucking blows.

26. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Same ACL as before or the other?

27. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

How effin depressing

[​IMG]

28. tigergrad00

tigergrad00
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

29. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

30. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

31. tigerpawtattoo

tigerpawtattoo
    Expand Collapse
    ...thinking bout Tiger stuff
    RCUSA Original

Boy...this really brought me down.
    [​IMG]

32. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

As upset as I know we all are I can't imagine how Texans fans feel. That poor fan base probably needs to be on suicide watch this week.

33. The Best Alive

The Best Alive
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

34. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

This tweet was posted on Oct. 17. This is why you don’t put that shit out into the Universe.

35. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

Isn't there some thought now that rebuilt ACLs eventually become stronger than their original condition with today's science and methods of treatment? Trying to convince myself that he will now have two bionic knees.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)