Clemson Baseball

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Tigerchan, Apr 10, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 80 users.
  1. clemsontyger04

clemsontyger04
    Expand Collapse
    Two Offensive Coordinators are better than 1
    First 38

Sounds like a suggestion that should be called in tomorrow

Cutig likes this.
  2. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Big news for Clemson baseball

Also big

3. tigergolf05

tigergolf05
    Expand Collapse

Twitter does not load for me. Am I doing something??

4. FrigOffRicky

FrigOffRicky
    Expand Collapse

Mine neither. I have to use my iphone if I want to see tweets. but Chris Williams and Ryan Miller are returning for senior years

5. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Does your work filter block Twitter maybe?

6. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That's likely what it is as my computer does the same thing from work.

While we're at it doe

7. tigergolf05

tigergolf05
    Expand Collapse

It is probably my work filter. i will have to check from my phone when twitter pops up.

8. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

Monte's alma mater. Damn

9. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

http://www.postandcourier.com/sport...cle_917e9266-6cc9-11e7-b631-93ddcb36bdde.html

Former Gamecock Chad Holbrook in, out, back in as chaotic coaching search continues at College of Charleston

An avalanche of support from former players. A candidate who was in, then out, then back in again. A university president who couldn’t make up his mind.

It all made for a topsy-turvy Wednesday that muddled the College of Charleston’s already long search for a new head baseball coach.

Former South Carolina head coach Chad Holbrook, apparently out of the running after his hire was initially thwarted by school president Glenn McConnell, emerged once again as a candidate Wednesday night in the face of overwhelming support from ex-players for former Cougars' pitching coach Scott Foxhall.

It was all part of a crazy 24-hour period that started Tuesday, when Holbrook accepted an offer to become the Cougars’ head coach, according to sources. But McConnell initially nixed the hire, sources said, in part because of a strong lobby by a number of former players — most notably New York Yankees outfielder Brett Gardner — on Foxhall’s behalf.

By Wednesday afternoon, it appeared Holbrook was pulling himself out of consideration for the job. But the former South Carolina head coach reemerged as a candidate later in the day after McConnell had a change of heart, according to sources.

It was hardly the first time the College has had a coaching search go awry. Basketball coach Tom Herrion was hired to replace John Kresse in 2002 despite overwhelming fan support for former Charleston assistant coach Gregg Marshall. When Herrion was fired with an 80-37 record in 2006, Marshall took the job — only to change his mind and return to Winthrop the next day.

Bobby Cremins was then hired, but only after the College also interviewed former Coastal Carolina head coach Buzz Peterson — who was confident in his prospects until informed by a reporter that Cremins had the job.

Many Cougar fans were miffed that Doug Wojcik, just fired at Tulsa, was hired to replace Cremins in 2012 — upon the recommendation of a consultant. After Wojcik was fired after a 2014 investigation into alleged verbal abuse of players, Charleston settled on former player Anthony Johnson as head coach, only to back off when a domestic violence charge against Johnson surfaced at the last minute.

Wofford head coach Mike Young, who has taken the Terriers to four NCAA Tournaments, was also a candidate in that search but withdrew himself from consideration. That left then-athletic director Joe Hull to eventually settle on current Cougars head coach Earl Grant.

Holbrook was the first choice of Charleston first-year athletic director Mike Roberts, friends with the former USC coach from their days together with the baseball program at North Carolina. Holbrook was one of three candidates to interview for the job, along with Foxhall and Clemson assistant Bradley LeCroy.

After initially being offered the job Tuesday, Holbrook was told to inform his family that they would be relocating to the Lowcountry, according to sources. But the wave of support for Foxhall from former players led McConnell to have second thoughts, sources said.

Gardner, who signed a $52 million contract in 2014, called McConnell and Roberts multiple times, and as recently as Tuesday, to lobby on Foxhall’s behalf, multiple sources confirmed. A letter signed by more than 60 former players, and sent by former Cougars infielder Chris Campbell, was delivered to McConnell and Roberts in support of Foxhall on July 12.

The movement gained further momentum as more former players, now nearing 100 — the more notable including St. Louis Cardinals first base coach Oliver Marmol — began to lobby McConnell and Robert in support of Foxhall. And some College of Charleston board members who knew Foxhall from his stints with the Cougars as a player and a coach also supported him over Holbrook, The Post and Courier has learned.

McConnell, who was criticized both on local and national fronts for inserting himself into the process, later changed his mind again after speaking with Roberts and Holbrook, sources said — opening the door for the former Gamecocks coach to accept the job a second time.

Holbrook, who won 65 percent of his games and made the NCAAs three times in five seasons at South Carolina, resigned June 6 from USC after missing the postseason for the second time in three years. The former Gamecocks skipper has also been a candidate for recruiting coordinator at Vanderbilt.

Foxhall worked under former Charleston head coaches Ralph Ciabattari and John Pawlowski from 1995-2008. He was part of the most sustained run of baseball success ever at the College, which included three straight NCAA trips and one Super Regional from 2004-06. Foxhall pitched at the College from 1992-94, and remains among the program leaders in strikeouts and innings pitched.

The Cougars are searching for a successor to Matt Heath, fired June 30 after two seasons with a 59-57-1 record. In June, the school launched an investigation into allegations of abusive behavior toward players by Heath, who has denied any wrongdoing and filed a lawsuit against the school for wrongful termination.

Pawpride likes this.
  10. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

[​IMG]

Little League World Series hero Alex Edmondson stood under the goalposts on the WestZone side of Death Valley two years, took in his surroundings and posed for pictures with Clemson baseball coach Monte Lee and his teammates.
    Already a Tiger at heart, Edmondson knew then that Clemson was the place he wanted to be, and he gave his verbal to Lee and the coaches Friday night in Clemson. The 2020 two-player spoke with TigerNet on his way home and said he committed during a meeting with Lee and pitching coach Andrew See.

“Actually, I’m on the way back from Clemson right now,” Edmondson said. “I sat down with Coach Lee and Coach See in the office and he (Lee) was talking to me about how he wanted me and I told him, ‘Coach, I want to be a Tiger.’ He asked if I was saying that I wanted to play for him and I said, ‘Yes, sir.’”

The 6-2, 195-pounder said Lee is one of the main reasons he decided to go ahead and commit.

“Coach Lee is really heavy on recruiting me and that’s what I like about him. He’s a great dude,” Edmondson said. “I remember the first time I met him. It was fantastic. I honestly just loved everything about him, how he runs the program and everything. The first time I met him was at the football game when my Northwood Little League team was honored.”

Edmondson was a standout this past weekend at the WWBA 2020 Grads or 15U National Championship at Perfect Game Park at Lake Point in Cartersville, Ga. Edmondson pitched 6.2 innings, giving up one earned run on two hits and two walks, while striking out seven. He finished the tournament with a 1.1 ERA. He also had 20 plate appearance in eight games and finished the tournament with four singles, a triple, a home run, 12 RBI and a stolen base for a .316 batting average and a .929 OPS. His work drew the eye of See.

“I got the offer a few days ago. I was playing in Atlanta and Coach See was down there and he watched me play,” Edmondson said. “He told my coach to have me call Coach Lee and I did and got the offer.
    They want me to be a two-way player. My fastball is low and sits about 84-85, maybe 86 and then I can get up to 89-90. I have a pretty good slider right now and if I can throw it for a strike, I can dominate.”

Edmondson said Clemson is the place he wants to call home.

“I grew up in Easley and it’s always sort of been like home to me and I feel like it’s where I’ve always wanted to be,” he said. “I went on a visit and I loved it. I went to other schools and it just seemed like the place for me.”

Edmondson gained national attention during Northwood Little League’s run to the Little World Series in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, two years ago. Edmondson hurled a no-hitter and struck out 15 against Rhode Island. Northwood was eliminated in the second round, but not before Edmondson became a fan favorite.

He says life has changed since that appearance.

“It’s just the attention. All of these people give me attention, and some of it is out of jealousy,” he said. “Some kids my age want to talk crap to me, but the biggest part for me is I can’t let my head get too big. I just have to stay humble.”

11. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

12. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

2020 outfielder Noah Stout announced a commitment to play for Clemson baseball Wednesday night.

The Rochester, Michigan, product, is rated as the top player in his state by the Prep Baseball Report, which offered a scouting report in April:

"Stout is a 5-foot-11, 180-pound well developed outfielder with an advanced game at the plate. Swinging from the left side of the plate has keeps his hands in the zone driving the ball consistently. Currently projects as a corner OF. Has good baseball genes, his older brother is currently pitching at the University of Toledo."

13. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

14. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Prosperity represent

gftiger likes this.
  15. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

[​IMG]

Should the university terminate Lee before his contract ends without cause, it would owe him $1.35 million in Year 1, $1.125 million in Year 2, $900,000 in Year 3, $675,000 in Year 4, $500,000 in Year 5 and $250,000 in Year 6. Should Lee want to leave on his own terms before the end of his contract, he would owe the university $675,000 in Year 1, $562,500 in Year 2, $450,000 in Year 3, $337,500 in Year 4, $250,000 in Year 5 and $125,000 in Year 6. Both the university and Lee's respective buyouts would be prorated if the termination occurred after the first day of the contract year.

16. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

17. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

About damn time. 1-8 made zero sense and it's not like 1-16 is harder to do.

RIP Tiger Tails likes this.
  18. RIP Tiger Tails

RIP Tiger Tails
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

At worst they need to go to 1-32. I get the 32-64 may need to be more regional because of budgets but that should happen. Too many times you see high seeds get harder regionals and vice versa.

19. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

20. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

21. tigerpawtattoo

tigerpawtattoo
    Expand Collapse
    ...thinking bout Tiger stuff
    RCUSA Original

Fuck 7 and all his bitch ass worshipers.

nctiger5, Buzz, Tigerchan and 5 others like this.
  22. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

Yes, YESSSSSS!

23. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

I took a knee when they honored him last weekend. #NotMyCoach

24. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Freshman RHP

25. tigergrad00

tigergrad00
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Holy shit that's awful

26. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

This is so so sad. I can't imagine what this is like for the families involved.

After being in the hospital the last few years I don't think I'll ever ride an atv again. I've seen so many people ruin their lives from those things. I honestly think motorcycles may be safer than 4 wheelers. Wear helmets even if you are off road fellas.

Clemson327, fishking and Keywan1474 like this.
  27. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Any further updates this morning on Blake? This is terrible.

28. Clemson327

Clemson327
    Expand Collapse
    Dean of Redneck Engineering
    RCUSA Original

He's from Belton. A wheel fell off in a freak accident from what I heard and threw him off on the pavement...just awful. The doctors are waiting on the swelling to go down to take a brain scan. I can't imagine what his family's going through.

29. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

Horrible. Just horrible. I feel so sorry for his family.

30. the great pumpkin

the great pumpkin
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Sounds like he passed away according to Cuplayer on TI.

Awful. Rest in peace Blake.

31. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

That sucks

32. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

What a tragedy.

33. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Same TI thread said that was incorrect. Family said otherwise.

34. tigerpride

tigerpride
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Second hand information here. I believe he has been declared brain dead but is still on life support. Very sad.

35. HBG

HBG
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

CLEMSON — Blake Holliday, the former Clemson pitcher who was involved in a tragic ATV accident late last week, died Tuesday at Greenville Memorial Hospital. He was 19.

Anderson County coroner Don McCown confirmed Holliday passed at 2:57 p.m. Tuesday afternoon and the cause of death was a head injury. Holliday was in critical condition over the weekend at the hospital.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)