Camthers: Sacrificing Chosen for SBLI

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Tigers, Jul 30, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 56 users.
  1. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

2. HBG

HBG
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Panthers worth $2.3 billion per Forbes. Heck of a parting gift for his indescretions.

3. HBG

HBG
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

4. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That was really cool

5. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

Hope he sells for the highest price in history of the league. And then I would love to see the NFL collapse right afterwards. Would be glorious to watch the angst and laugh while that bullshit burns.

6. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

NFL is the most watched programming on cable. It's not going anywhere.

7. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Aren't you one of the people who normally argue that CTE will kill tackle football and that the cable model is not sustainable as a valued technology?

I may be confusing you with someone else and if so I apologize, but I do remember seeing those arguments on here. I am usually the one standing on the side of football and cable/satellite TV. But I also say fuck the NFL for non-football reasons.

NST likes this.
  8. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I think you may be confusing me for someone else. That said I do think the cable model is unsustainable in the long term. People can switch their modality for watching the NFL though without hurting the NFL. All I know is that whenever people compile ratings for most watched programs for a given year like 3 out of the top 5 are NFL programs like. "Monday night football" and "Sunday night football".

9. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

CTE is a big concern for the NFL and will probably lead to changes but I'd be surprised if the sport disappeared completely. Maybe it will change at some point. We had a big discussion on here about CTE but I don't recall taking the stance that tackle football will disappear entirely.

10. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Could certainly have been someone else. And I agree with what you are saying. Just at this point I would certainly laugh if the NFL got knocked down quite a few notches.

11. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The ratings are still high, but trending down. No, the NFL isn’t going anywhere, but basketball is coming hard for the top spot.

Things change. It doesn’t happen overnight. Baseball and boxing were top sports at points in this country.

NST likes this.
  12. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

NFL isn't trending down faster than everything else on TV though. All TV shows are trending down right now as people quit buying cable. NFL still outperforms every other game in town.

13. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Just looked it up. NBA isn't even top 10 for ratings. NFL has three different programs in top 5.

14. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

NFL isn't tied to cable though as people that cut cable can already watch Panther's games on antenna for free since the games are on Fox/CBS/NBC. Haven't paid for cable in a year and haven't missed any game that I wanted to watch all in HD. NFL only cable deal is with ESPN for Sunday Night Football.

The demographics that play it are largely the type that won't care about CTE. No different than smoking. Smoking is down like 90% in the upper SES and down like 5% in the lower SES. Hard to see tackle football being widely divergent from that trend where lower income people stop playing it.

15. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The ratings for any given week could be up because a team like the Patriots or Cowboys are playing and still high compared to everything else because people are cutting the chord and watching less of everything that isn’t streamed.

The thanksgiving ratings were down this year. They are trending down the last 2 years. According to an article from Dec 5th NBA ratings are up 32% from last year.

16. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

The ratings I spoke of are year averages not one time viewings. Nothing draws more eyes on a regular basis than NFL. NBA didn't even crack top 20 last year.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/most-watched-highest-rated-shows-tv-2016-2017-season/

Most-Watch Shows of the 2016-2017 Season
    (Numbers are in millions of viewers)
    1. Sunday Night Football (NBC) - 19.6
    2. Thursday Night Football (NBC) - 16.9
    3. NCIS (CBS) - 14.6
    4. Thursday Night Football (CBS) - 14.5
    5. The Big Bang Theory (CBS) - 14.0
    6. The OT (Fox) - 13.6
    7. 60 Minutes (CBS) - 11.9
    8. Bull (CBS) - 11.4
    9. Football Night in America Pt. 3 (NBC) - 10.8
    10. The Voice - Monday (NBC) - 10.6
    11. Dancing with the Stars (ABC) - 10.4
    12. The Voice - Tuesday (NBC) - 10.3
    13. NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS) - 10.1
    14. Blue Bloods (CBS) - 9.9
    15. This Is Us (NBC) - 9.8
    16. NCIS: New Orleans (CBS) - 9.6
    17. Hawaii Five-0 (CBS) - 9.2
    18. Little Big Shots (NBC) - 9.1
    19. Survivor (CBS) - 8.4
    20. Madam Secretary (CBS) - 8.3

17. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Take it to the nfl thread

18. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Again, not disputing the NFL is king or that a lot of people watch it. The NFL is going to be ok. I’m saying it’s trending down. Less people are watching it than they were in the recent past.

The NBA is trending up and the NFL is trending down.

19. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

We playoffin y’all :panth3:

20. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

So we clinched the top wild card spot with today's win worst case. At 11-4 now the closest teams are the Falcons at 9-6, Seattle 8-6 and Dallas 8-6. The Falcons have the head to head vs both of them fwiw.

Looking at the standings and who the playoff teams have left...I would say odds look pretty good we're going to have to go play in Los Angeles vs the Rams on wild card weekend. It sucks but that is the most likely scenario unfortunately. That loss in Chicago back in October may end up costing us the division and a first round bye when it's all said and done ugh.

21. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I’d much rather go there than play New Orleans.

Great win today, Jameis acting like a complete bitch and shedding tears because of the fumble was just a cherry on top.

22. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Jameis completely embarrassed himself today and it was hilarious.

100% agree about not having to go to NO. Traveling west sucks but at least it’s not a hostile environment.

23. White Tajh Boyd

White Tajh Boyd
    Expand Collapse
    National Championship Team
    RCUSA Original

Seems like we're hiring Norv Turner as OC

24. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Burn it all down.

Buzz, AC-, Dirty Ears Bill and 2 others like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)