Alcohol Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Cutig, Jul 17, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 43 users.
  1. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I stopped by Asheville on my way back to CLT on Sunday and had two flights at Bhramari and thought it was pretty solid. Nothing that absolutely blew me away but 7 out of the 8 beers we tried were all solid.

2. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

They are actually best know for their lager. Did you try it? Its worth a 12 pack IMO.

3. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I actually think we might have missed that one. We did two flights and I often skip over the lagers. Guess I'll need to schedule a return trip to give it a go.

4. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

stay the fuck away from their Campfire blend

it's trash

everything else is really good though

5. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

If anyone is hunting, Brewski Brothers in greenwood has bottles of ORVW 10 and the 12, 300 and 400 respectively (or those are the prices they quoted me). Put a 15 on the counter and offered it to me, then pulled it off and said they couldn't sell it to me.

hawk217 likes this.
  6. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

This.

Bourbon is not wine.

7. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Right. It’s better.

19B, u jelly and gvtiger07 like this.
  8. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

It meant that it's not nearly as hard to make and not nearly as complex.

9. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

That’s decidedly untrue. Wine is the simple fermentation of grapes. Distill that and age it in oak, and you get some unbelievable cognacs and armagnacs. Beer is fermented grains. Distill and age it in oak (or whatever), and you get whiskey. All of the complexity in beer and wine exists in cognac and whiskey, and it’s generally amplified even more in a distilled, aged state.

Don’t get me wrong. I love a good red. But you can find tasting notes a mile long for a red wine or an Islay scotch. They’re both unique and complex.

mooser3586 and a congressman like this.
  10. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Welp...working at the hospital again on Thanksgiving and through next Tues so let's talk alcohol!

Anybody here gonna try and get Bourbon County bottles tomorrow various places? Anybody have any info on the Greenville area. All I know is Green's is releasing at 11am tomorrow. All they will have is the regular BCBS and barleywine which I love both but I really really want the Coffee variant. My favorite beer period is BC Coffee. Anybody have info on how Total Wine or other places in Greenville are doing the release tomorrow?

For those around Columbia, I know that Green's on Piney Grove is doing a big release tomorrow morning and they will have all variants including Coffee and the blueberry stout variant for this year. I also saw a place in Lexington will have all bottles available as well at 1 per person of each variant fwiw.

On the bourbon front my ass struck out cold on the big fall release bourbons as always. No BTAC or Van Winkle but did snag a 10 year Widow Jane and Blanton's this week. So that's solid, I just wish I could land something from the BTAC/PVW line in the wild sometime for a fair price.

19B likes this.
  11. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

unrelated to alcohol holiday made me realize how much I miss having Wades access so easily

12. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I pass it on my way home every night lol. I need to check it out soon. Another tick off my list of places to eat around Spartanburg.

Shane Falco and stevesmoothie like this.
  13. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

BTAC is attainable for an unfair price. See: me.

Buzz likes this.
  14. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I know I played that game last year because I just wanted it so bad. I bought a Thomas Handy at near secondary. I just don't have the funds to do it this year. Was hoping I could luck out but nope.

19B likes this.
  15. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

I don’t think anyone here in my town will get it. I wish they were, drank my last 2015 a few weeks ago

16. Lyrtch

Lyrtch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

its not amazing but being able to roll in and get a full turkey dinner randomly for lunch is nice

Buzz likes this.
  17. clemsontyger04

clemsontyger04
    Expand Collapse
    Two Offensive Coordinators are better than 1
    First 38

Love Wades

Doc Louis and stevesmoothie like this.
  18. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce
    Expand Collapse

I got my Bourbon County bottle a couple days ago from the local craft beer gastropub I work at from time to time. We got 1 bottle each as a gift. Unfortunately did not get any to sell other wise I would have bought a few.

I may check out Green's in Greenville, haven't heard of any other place with it

I've never had any of the Bourbon county releases before... Gonna age it for a while guess.

19. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

Grateful brew had some per their Instagram. May be worth checking out

20. Irish Red Homebrew

Irish Red Homebrew
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The man I used to buy homebrew supplies from had a great line, "If you can boil water, you can make beer. If you can't, then you can make wine."

21. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

We are releasing this today. Pretty interesting stuff

22. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Charleston Brown Water Society did a barrel pick with a Wathen's special release of 25 barrels. We got barrel #15. Haven't opened yet, but heard from a few folks that it's pretty damn good. I've met Charles and Sam Medley a few times at events in Charleston; Charles is an old school distiller who you could sit and listen to for hours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

clemsontyger04, hawk217, TCJ and 2 others like this.
  23. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Just came into possession of these.

Attached Files:

Tiger Roll, Buzz, Styx and 5 others like this.
  24. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)