Alcohol Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Cutig, Jul 17, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 43 users.
  1. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I feel like we've talked Pikesville before, and I still don't think I've tasted it. What's the price point?

2. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

$45-50. Rittenhouse is around $30.

3. JocasseeTiger

JocasseeTiger
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Just had a bottle given to me and want some more info on what I've got. Anyone tried this?

Attached Files:

• 63.jpg
      63.jpg
      File size:
      257.6 KB
      Views:
  4. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

High west blends whiskey and does a fine job of it, that is one of their base / standard bottles. I haven't had the Bouyre but have had 4-5 of their other blends. All have been quite good.

JocasseeTiger likes this.
  5. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Snagged a four pack of Oskar Blues Death by Cocnut and two bottles of Bell’s Black Note bourbon barrel stout. Pretty excited for this weekend.

6. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Never had either. Oskar blues is probably my favorite brewery. I used to drink pinner and the blue dream IPA constantly in Kansas. $7 for a six pack. Now I can only get Dales pale for $10. Fucking sucks.

TheWampa likes this.
  7. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

The Pinner is pretty killer if I’m drinking a lot. This will be my first of the Bell’s though.

I’ve got a bottle of Westvleteren 12 saved that a buddy brought from Germany; I may finally crack it open this weekend.

8. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce
    Expand Collapse

Good choices @TheWampa
    That Bell's Black Note is so good. Little jealous that you have W12... It was for sale in Greenville once a while back and I missed it.

Oh well, currently a little drunk on some Narwhal

gvtiger07 and TheWampa like this.
  9. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I still have a 6 of the W12 left. Will let it go for market price if you want it. My tastebuds don’t appreciate Belgians anymore so it’s just collecting dust in my cabinet.

10. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce
    Expand Collapse

What would be market price these days?

Maybe @gvtiger07 and I should go in on it together

gvtiger07 likes this.
  11. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I haven’t looked in a while, but the gift pack with two Westy glasses (what this is) was going for $300ish, I believe.

12. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

That's some expensive beer. Worth it?

Unrelated note, Four Roses private barrel has definitely become one of my favorite bourbons of all time. Had OESK and OESV in Louisville, and Green's in Greenville has some OBSQ on the shelf for $60 right now that I highly recommend picking up.

13. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I echo this statement. Currently have an OESF, OBSV, and OBSQ in the cabinet. Haven't had one I didn't like.

gvtiger07 likes this.
  14. gvtiger07

gvtiger07
    Expand Collapse

Did you pick up the OESF and OBSV recently? I'm going to try to get all 10 recipes so I'd like to add those to the collection.

15. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I have a couple bottles of ABC pick OESK. It's pretty delicious

16. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

If you like Belgians, I'd call it a must-try, at least once. A 6 pack would be a little excessive. If you LOVE Belgians, it's a take. If you don't know, or think they're meh, then it'd be dumb to spend a lot of $ on any beer. The monastery had a fire back in...whatever, 2010 or 2011, and the monks produced a single large batch for sale on the American market to fund the repair/rebuild. Up to that point, it was the only time (as far as I know) that the beer was sold anywhere besides at the gates of the monastery. You had to go to Belgium to get it, or know somebody who could procure it for you. So it was 15,000 gift packs that made it to 5 states in 2011, and AZ was one of them. I hit 3 different BevMos to grab 3 6 packs at something like $90 per (limited to one per customer). 2 of them are gone now.

This is the pack:

http://www.westvleterenshop.com/apps/webstore/products/show/4222678

17. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The OBSQ was the most recent pickup. I think I picked up the other two around this time last year. One is a Green's pick, and one is a Total Wine pick. Both in Greenville.

18. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

Hi-Wire Bed of Nails Brown Ale is quite good. I am enjoying it.

19. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

If you’re in Clemson, Nick’s has Cigar City Maduro Brown on nitro.

Styx likes this.
  20. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Overpaid for some BTAC when it showed up at my local store on Saturday, but whatev. Will probably sit in the cabinet for a while before I attempt to flip for a minimal profit and pay for kids' college.

[​IMG]

21. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What did you pay? Stagg was in great supply this year.

22. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Blue dream is Tropicalia tier.

23. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I had a 4R barrel proof bottle one time that was 128 proof.

You don't really get used to that, but it was so good.

24. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Eh....too much. Let's just say that if you google "Buy....", about what those outlets are selling it for. What sucks is I really want to try both.

OrangeONeill likes this.
  25. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Just curious. I went by the ABC today in AL where they had already sold out and they retail for 89.99. There is a bunch of Stagg this year so I would guess 350-400 for it, Handy close to 500.

OrangeONeill likes this.
  26. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Picked up the 10 year but couldn't get my hands on the Handy. Heyo.

Attached Files:

19B likes this.
  27. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Grabbed that one last year. This store doesn't sell at retail--they sell at whatever fuckin' jacked up price they feel like, and they always sell it out. They had Pappy 23 2 years ago, and I could have grabbed the last bottle for $975 (I think). I waffled, and it was gone by the time I came back. That'd be a take this year, but instead, it was $1,999. Lolno. Can't really flip at that price, and that's most certainly not in my drinking price range.

Have a few buddies that are Total Wine Select Members (or whatever the status is called), but I won't ever get to that level of spending there. They get early access for that stuff at retail, usually limited to a bottle, but $90 would be far more palatable than what I paid. I'd open it right now if I paid $90.

Buzz likes this.
  28. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I paid $115 for OFBB17 today.

Buzz likes this.
  29. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I refuse to pay for any of that stuff on secondary market. I love brown water but there are plenty of good ones for $50 or less

Doc Louis and a congressman like this.
  30. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Retail stores have Highland Cold Mountain. Just picked up a 12 pack and a bomber.

31. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Of course there are. Most of the time when "normal" people like us buy one of these spendy bottles, it's not to open, unless it's some sort of special occasion. I probably have 40 open bottles in my cabinet, and every one of them (with an exception or two) is <$90. Whiskey certainly doesn't need to be expensive to be good. But there's some fun and and potential value in the hunt for the unicorns, too.

OrangeONeill likes this.
  32. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Hey you do you man. Who cares if some guy on the internet has some personal standard for their purchases. You wanted those two bottles and you got them. Enjoy that brown water whenever the hell you want! I tried some Handy this weekend in Nola, it was 2016 and it was delicious.

33. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Well, I mean...I'm not telling TCJ anything he doesn't already know. He could likely educate me a lot more than I could him, actually being involved in a distillery. It's just a matter of whether us relative poors want to taste and/or collect occasional higher end stuff or not. That's all.

34. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Yeah, not criticizing him. To each his own. I just refuse to do it.

hawk217 likes this.
  35. SackLodge

SackLodge
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I got to take a tour of Hi-Wire a few weeks ago. They have some really good beers. Supposedly they are the fastest growing brewery in Asheville. The guy I know that gave me the tour gave me a can of a new beer they have. They partnered with a brewery in Charlotte to make it. Its a red ale. I will snap a picture of it when I get home but it is damn good.

Styx likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)