Alcohol Thread

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Cutig, Jul 17, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 43 users.
  1. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

A suggestion, if I may: Charleston area DVUers pick a spot and a time, and let's post up and drink some beer. Because beer.

2. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Also, Chas. Costco has handles of Larceny for $32.99, which is one of my go-tos for cocktail mixing. And 5ths of Elijah Craig for $26.99 (non-age statement now, which is the norm); good pour at that price.

Styx and mooser3586 like this.
  3. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Personally I thought that was a pretty solid deal considering it's more than one beer (EDIT: Just checked online and it says its a 22oz bottle) and the cost when purchased from a regular store that only receives limited quantities.

4. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

I vote yes for this idea.

19B likes this.
  5. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'm here to tell you guys about Cosmik Debris. From creature comforts.

It's better than tropicalia.

Buzz, clemsonswag and OrangeONeill like this.
  6. Tiger Roll

Tiger Roll
    Expand Collapse
    allergic to jean shorts

In

19B likes this.
  7. Doc Louis

Doc Louis
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yeah but it doesn't come with a flamingo pool float. [​IMG]

8. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

@TCJ

9. phil brickma

phil brickma
    Expand Collapse
    Train, say your prayers, and eat your vitamins
    RCUSA Original

Of course Andre the Giant has legendary drinking stories, but I read an article where he got into this kick where he would drink whiskey with a snake at the bottom of the bottle (like tequelia with a worm). The shit was supposedly from Thailand, I couldn't imagine.

10. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Those cocktail kits are great.

11. Tiger Roll

Tiger Roll
    Expand Collapse
    allergic to jean shorts

Habu liquor - Its a real thing. Made in Okinawa, strong AF, has a viper in it, and illegal to bring into the states. I'd be good w not ever experiencing that again.

[​IMG]

12. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I'll tell you who is making very good IPAs now and that's Burial Brewing in Asheville. They are doing new IPA /DIPA can releases about every other weekend now and they have been making some killer IPAs. If anyone is in Asheville I suggest you give them a go. Burial has been my favorite brewery in Asheville for a while now but now they're making excellent IPAs.

13. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

I really enjoyed Burial when I was in Asheville. I haven't ever seen them distribute anything here in SC though...

14. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

They don't distribute to SC. They did very briefly then stopped. Their best offerings are brewery only anyway. Like their IPA they released this past weekend, Paranormal Vibe DIPA. It is made with Citra, Simcoe, Mandarina Bavaria and Simcoe Lupulin powder....:lickit:. There was no distro for it. They have done a number of those type releases lately on Saturdays.

15. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

Assumed as much. Sadly, I don't live close enough to go that often :damnyou:

Buzz likes this.
  16. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

Someone plan this. Haha.

17. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I totally forgot to mention how lazy and disorganized I am, so I call "not it".

18. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

I can do a happy hour anytime next week except Monday. @Tiger Roll @Raggy

19. Tiger Roll

Tiger Roll
    Expand Collapse
    allergic to jean shorts

Monday is no bueno. Good after that tho.

20. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

21. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

22. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I don't think it's just hipsters. A lot of brewers and normal folks are pissed too. Partially because they seem to feel like it was a betrayal, but also because the stuff that InBev pulls in the beer market.

23. J_E

J_E
    Expand Collapse
    God Bless Dabo

Well I will stay naïve to the subject and still drink the beer. I have read a few articles on it but I still don't fully understand what the deal with InBev is other than they can distribute cheaper and across more places than the smaller breweries.

24. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce
    Expand Collapse

This is one of the positives of being bought out by one of the macro guys. I look forward to getting Wicked Weed in Greenville now as opposed to driving a little over an hour to get it. However I think the big deal here is what Birds Fly South posted shortly after the buy out announcement was made. Here's a snippet:

As such, Birds Fly South has decided to withdraw our scheduled participation in the upcoming Wicked Weed festival. This decision is not related to the individuals who work in the extensive Wicked Weed family, and does not come without our entire team involved. We are all trying to make the best choices for ourselves and our families. We understand this is a business decision for Wicked Weed, however we simply cannot participate with the direct lobby group that is influencing SC laws that in turn negatively impact our closest friends.

TheWampa likes this.
  25. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I can't speak to everything since I'm not in the industry but from what I've gathered what they do is smart from a big business sense but really stifles small brewers/breweries. For example, relatively recently they bought up the distribution for all hops of a certain kind and won't sell any of those hops to any brewery that isn't in the InBev portfolio. So smaller breweries are just shit out of luck on getting those hops. Apparently this type of stuff has happened before too.

gvtiger07, TCJ and TheWampa like this.
  26. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

Expand Collapse

And unrelated to Wicked Weed. Legit question:
    Anybody know anything about breweries/beer to visit/get in Portland/Wells Maine? I'll be at Sebago Lake and I've had a good bit of Sebago Brewing's beer but I'll also hit up Portland and Wells.

I've been to Allagash and Maine Beer Co which are the big ones. I know there's an industrial park there with a few breweries in one spot. Just wondering if anybody has an inside track on what's a "must try".

27. TheBabyShrimp

TheBabyShrimp
    Expand Collapse

I was in Portland over Memorial Day weekend and recommend Shipyard Brewing. Didn't get there at the right time for a tour but the tasting room and gift shop were nice. I got a flight of IPAs and enjoyed them.

28. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

There's another pretty unethical occurrence that is happening from these conglomerates. The founder of RateBeer sold his stake in the company to ZX Ventures, which with a minor bit of digging, you find is a subsidiary of AB InBev. This creates a clear conflict of interest, as AB InBev would essentially have control over reviews and ratings of their own beers vs. competitors, in what should ostensibly be a 100% impartial, agnostic ratings site. Sam Calagione from DFH demanded that their beers be removed from RateBeer, and it sounds like a bunch of other breweries are following suit (admittedly, I'm not following it that closely). And, from some quick skimming just now, RateBeer is telling those brewers "fuck off, we're going to keep rating your beers." Could be an interesting legal tussle.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...eries-want-their-beers-off-ratebeer-afte.html

29. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ssachusetts/ZK4GlD6BTUTSkpQwMuP4uN/story.html

I've got no issue with anyone that wants to drink their products, but I worry about Wicked Weed's quality going down, despite what they may say. It's already happened with Goose Island, in my opinion.

30. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

Expand Collapse

It's a clear conflict of interest and I'm glad DFH made the first move there. Luckily though there are plenty of other beer rating sites out there.

I'm interested to see what the trolls do in the reviews of AB InBev beers on ratebeer. Bud Light for example:

jheylin (1) - California, USA - JUN 7, 2017 does not count [​IMG]
    All hail our corporate overlords. Any who disagree that this is the best beer in the world will be eliminated.

[​IMG]
    bulldogp04 (28) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - JUN 7, 2017
    Great light bier, taste nice and light and a little bit like rice - I could drink this year round.

Doc Louis and 19B like this.
  31. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

Expand Collapse

I don't know if it's really an issue about the quality. Quality or not it's about money and shelf space.

The biggest problem with these buyouts is that now more money will be going into the fight against craft beer. These "Big Beer" guys are constantly fighting the small guys at every legislative turn. So they push this "don't worry guys! quality will remain the same!" line and those people who don't care still buy into it. Big Beer will provide the distribution network and crowd out little guys because they can afford to pay for more shelf space.

gvtiger07 likes this.
  32. The Guglia

The Guglia
    Expand Collapse
    I work in the City, and I work long hours.
    RCUSA Original

Shipyard has already been mentioned which is good. Sebago has a brew-pub but it's not really worth going to I don't think.

Bissell Brothers, Oxbow and Rising Tide would be the other ones I'd recommend. Definitely grab some beers at Novare Res while you are in Portland.

33. OpenMouthKissedaHorseOnce

Expand Collapse

Thanks for that. I had heard of oxbow but not the other ones. The wife is sending me out on my own for the day while her and MIL hang out so maybe I'll just go to all of them....

34. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

Restocked on some rye at lunch. Had no idea Bill's even had Sazerac, guy behind counter mentioned they had one bottle left in the back because of the other stuff I put on the counter. Score.

[​IMG]

35. OrangeONeill

OrangeONeill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Ever go with the Pikesville Rye? 110 proof and pretty damn smooth... and you can find it for less than $50.

19B likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)