2018 recruiting thread - Help us BT Potter. You’re our only hope.

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cuwoodchipper, Jul 28, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 116 users.
  1. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

This is me. I don't want to start stirring dissent when they could still extend tanner and Muschamp.

2. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I guess you've never been to the 90's bar in Athens. Blowing him away is inevitable.

Animal Mother and DMX like this.
  3. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

4. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

Yeh

3 things I know, 3 things I think
    Updates on Bookie-Radley-Hiles, Justyn Ross, and KJ Henry among others.
    [​IMG]
    (Photo: 247Sports)

3 things I know

1. I know wide receiver Justyn Ross has yet to set up officials to either Alabama or Auburn.

Additionally, Clemson has not yet made plans to go in-home.

Alabama assistant Derrick Ansley visited Ross last Thursday, and Jeff Scott visited him Friday before flying to Charlotte that evening.

At this point, I feel confident in saying that if Clemson does not land Ross, something unexpected will have occurred.

Should Ross join the fold, he'd combine with Derion Kendrick to give Clemson two top-10 receivers per the 247Sports Composite.

No other school is in the running to accomplish such feat.

2. I know that coaching staffs at Louisville and Oklahoma State still expect four-star running back Lyn-J Dixon to follow through with official visits this weekend and the following, respectively.

Michigan State has cooled on him for now, although Nebraska and UCF are curious about entering the mix.

I flipped my Crystal Ball for Dixon from Clemson to cloudy last week knowing this was the case coupled with the fact that Clemson is paying increased interest to Jashaun Corbin, who will draw a visit from Tony Elliott either Wednesday or Thursday this week.

Elliott arrived in Little Rock, Ark. today ahead of the Broyles Award ceremony on Tuesday, so visiting Corbin figures to be among the first recruiting stops he'll make.

As of now, I don't have a Clemson Crystal Ball forecasted for a 2018 running back, and until I feel increased confidence with Dixon, Corbin, or someone else, I'm gonna hold off.

But one thing's for sure: Clemson will take a running back in this class.

3. I know a couple new offers went out today.

2020 offensive tackle Paris Johnson Jr. of Cincinnati (Ohio) St. Xavier tweeted a Clemson offer, as did 2019 four-star wide receiver Lance Wilhoite of Nashville (Tenn.) Franklin Road Academy.

Johnson (6-7, 265) hasn't visited campus but hopes to do so this spring. He's from the same school as Clemson freshman offensive lineman Matt Bockhorst and owns the tools to project as an elite left tackle in college football.

St. X is a powerhouse program in the Midwest, and it's my opinion that Clemson is smart to see if it can establish some inroads there.

Clemson qualifies as a huge offer for Johnson, who doesn't yet own an offer from Ohio State. Michigan State was his biggest offer up to this point.

Wilhoite (6-3, 185) owns Ohio State, Florida, LSU, Tennessee, and South Carolina offers among others.

Clemson going after a Tennessee wide receiver? No way. Ohio State has been the leader in the clubhouse for a while but Clemson just pulled rank with the Buckeyes.

Clemson actually wanted to make the offer "official" earlier this season but plans for a visit in November fell through. Expect him to make it on campus for Clemson's elite junior day on January.

Clemson is also in pursuit of Trey Knox of Murfreesboro (Tenn.) Blackman.

Will have more on both Johnson and Wilhoite on Tuesday.

3 things I think

1. I think Clemson ends up adding at least five more prospects in this class.

1 RB, 2 OL, 1 WR, 1 DB

Likely another defensive end (K.J. Henry), and probably another DB and/or OL. I think adding two DBs is more likely than adding 3 OL if it came down to choosing one or the other.

Speaking of Henry — the five-star defensive end will participate in the Shrine Bowl next week. This means that dates to schedule in-homes are at a premium.

Clemson, Virginia Tech, and South Carolina will all go in-home this week ahead of his official visit to Tuscaloosa. The Hokies (Justin Fuente, defensive coordinator Bud Foster, and defensive line coach Charley Wiles) went in-home tonight.

It'll be interesting to see when Alabama and Georgia use their in-homes considering Henry will be in Spartanburg beginning on Sunday and extending through Saturday, Dec. 16, and the dead period sets in two days later.

Barring coaching changes, Clemson is the team to beat, and I like Georgia as the biggest challenger ahead of Virginia Tech right now.

2. I think Clemson has a better shot at four-star cornerback Bookie Radley-Hiles than is generally perceived in the industry.

Oklahoma had all the momentum on the Crystal Ball leading up to the four-star cornerback's Clemson official visit three weekends ago.

Shortly thereafter, some UCLA picks were entered, and more picks for the Bruins came through on the heels of his official visit there and the hiring of Chip Kelly.

So, opinion appears to be split between the Sooners and Bruins. Why is this perceived as a positive for Clemson? Because neither the Sooners or Bruins appear to be a slam-dunk choice. I think Radley-Hiles is genuinely considering three schools at the moment.

Two more important items here:

1.) UCLA is gaining traction to flip running back T.J. Pledger, who has been a significant part of Radley-Hiles' interest in the Sooners. Pledger is from SoCal.

2.) UCLA is not expected to retain defensive backs coach Demetrice Martin, who has established a very good rapport with Radley-Hiles.

3. I think five-star defensive back Tyson Campbell draws a visit from the Clemson staff this week.

It's an uphill battle for Clemson and has been for a while, but the Tigers haven't thrown in the towel yet.

Miami is trending on the Crystal Ball. Alabama is heavily involved, and so are Georgia and Ohio State.

Similar to Radley-Hiles, it doesn't seem like Campbell's mind is made up.

That's why you keep recruiting a player of his calibre if you're Clemson.

5. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

What does Venables getting hired away do to our defensive class?

6. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Clemson247 went to five-star defensive end commitment Xavier Thomas for his thoughts on where some of Clemson's top targets end up.

We offered him an imaginary 247Sports Crystal Ball to select his picks.

Here's how the No. 1 defensive end in 2018 sees things playing out:

— 5-star DE KJ Henry: Clemson 65 percent; Georgia 35 percent

— 5-star OT Cade Mays: Clemson 90 percent; Georgia 10 percent

— 4-star DB Tyreke Johnson: Ohio State 80 percent; Clemson 20 percent

— 4-star CB Bookie Radley-Hiles: Clemson 80 percent; Oklahoma 20 percent

— 4-star WR Justyn Ross: Clemson 85 percent; Alabama 15 percent

— 4-star S Leon O'Neal: Clemson 75 percent; Oklahoma 25 percent

— 4-star RB Lyn-J Dixon: "Cloudy"

— 3-star OT Jordan McFadden: Clemson 100 percent

A glance at the actual Crystal Ball for the aforementioned prospects shows that Clemson has the majority for Henry (unanimous), Ross, Dixon, and McFadden.

The greatest discrepancies between Thomas' picks and the actual Crystal Ball is with Radley-Hiles (OU - 42 percent, UCLA - 35 percent, CU - 4 percent among others ) and O'Neal (OU - 50 percent, Texas A&M - 50 percent).

Thomas will see Brent Venables on Friday when the Clemson defensive coordinator makes a recruiting stop at Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy to see Thomas, Radley-Hiles, and four-star linebacker commitment Mike Jones Jr.

Thomas will sign with Clemson on Dec. 20 ahead of early enrollment.

7. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

He damn well better.

8. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

9. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian Academy five-star safety Tyreke Johnson released a commitment video on Tuesday evening. As expected, he committed to Ohio State.

Johnson had a top three of Ohio State, Clemson and UCLA and made official visits to each school in the past couple months.

10. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

T Law back to his rightful spot at #1? Kendrick elevated to a five star?

Heads up - Updated Top247 released today
    • AnnaLHickey
      • [​IMG]
      • [​IMG]
      • (5698)
      • 16 months
      14 minutes agoVIPAnd you'll like at least one change A LOT :)

11. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Good ole anal hickey

Pawpride and Phillipdn like this.
  12. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Wonder if this Fields decommittment post has any legs to it?

=======

Luke Stampini
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • [​IMG]
    • (54840)
    • 6 months
    88 minutes agoVIP
    - QB is still a position that is being thoroughly evaluated. It has been the root of the problem for the past two failed head coaches, and perhaps the biggest draw to Dan Mullen was his history with QBs. Matt Corral is committed, and very well might stick in the class. He could be the lone QB, but I tend to think a 2nd QB likely joins him. Florida has contacted or visited Justin Fields, Michael Penix, Joey Gatewood, Terry Wilson (JuCo), and Jalen Mayden that we know of so far.

- Mullen and Ja'Juan Seider went in-home with Justin Fields last week. Apparently Seider has a strong relationship with Fields and his family. Many still believe the day Fields decommitted from Penn State, Florida was going to be his destination. That slowly fell apart over the next several weeks and months, which caused UF to bow out of the race and take Corral. However, Fields looks to be a perfect fit for Mullen's offense, which is a reason he went in-home right away. It would appear that Jake Fromm would have to get hurt at UGA for Fields to start next fall. Fromm led UGA to an SEC title, and you do not bench that QB until you absolutely have to -- injury or extended period of poor play. At Florida, there is an open path for Fields to start.

- Today is the first tidbit I've received from someone outside of this Fields race (not UF or UGA sources) indicating the Gators are a factor to flip Fields. These were apparently rumblings picked up by a Power 5 assistant recruiting the Atlanta area. Beyond that, nothing concrete has come in saying how close a flip actually is though, so this may only be sliver of opportunity for all I know. However, knowing the source, it certainly caught my attention as something to track.

- Before Mullen visited Fields, he did admit to 247Sports' Kipp Adams official visits to Florida and Florida State were possible. As usual, he was far from confirming the trips would actually go down, but to admit they were a possibility was still noteworthy.

13. clemsontyger04

clemsontyger04
    Expand Collapse
    Two Offensive Coordinators are better than 1
    First 38

14. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Kendrick jumped up to 44 on Rivals. He was over 100.

15. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

still underrated.

Magic Man likes this.
  16. Magic Man

Magic Man
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

He'll be a 5 star in the final rankings.

17. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

New 247 Rankings are out. Lawrence is back as the #1 player in the country

:dabs:

FlyingTiger11, DV81, TCJ and 17 others like this.
  18. tigerbaitnatl

tigerbaitnatl
    Expand Collapse

ESPN won’t move Lawrence back to #1 because Luginbull has an unhealthy “NAMBLA” infatuation with Fields.

19. The Best Alive

The Best Alive
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Yeah one of my favorite twitter exchanges in recent memory was some odd asking why he wasn't ranked higher and farrell agreeed

20. HotButteredGrits

HotButteredGrits
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

21. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

@Jake Scott your thoughts on Kirby having to settle for the #2 QB? Has he lost his touch?

22. culaxer

culaxer
    Expand Collapse
    Has anyone seen my 15?
    RCUSA Original

Maybe Justin just needs someone to give him a hand...

23. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

24. clemsontyger04

clemsontyger04
    Expand Collapse
    Two Offensive Coordinators are better than 1
    First 38

25. Jake Scott

Jake Scott
    Expand Collapse
    DVU Southeastern Recruiting Analyst

Sad that an injury had to happen to validate getting clicks from clemson fans.

26. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Five-star K.J. Henry alters official visit schedule

Five-star K.J. Henry was set to take his final official visit this weekend but plans have changed. Alabama was going to host the Clemmons (N.C.) West Forsyth defensive end for an official visit this weekend but that is no longer the case.

"I'm not going down there this weekend," Henry said. "We're going to talk to the coaches soon to figure it out if I'll be able to make it down there at all."

Henry is scheduled to participate in the Shrine Bowl of the Carolinas this coming week and the game falls on Saturday December 16th and Henry will announce his commitment at his school on December 20th so there is a very small window for him to even take his last visit.

:whip:

27. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

[​IMG]

28. Summit_Mountain

Summit_Mountain
    Expand Collapse
    Moonshiner

I assume that we all still feel really good about the situation? Obviously it was always going to be us or Virginia Tech I think but I'm curious if any of the more plugged in posters want to comment

29. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Yes

Summit_Mountain likes this.
  30. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

He went to watch us in Charlotte. I’d be shocked if he wasn’t ours

31. Summit_Mountain

Summit_Mountain
    Expand Collapse
    Moonshiner

Cade visited UGA yesterday I believe

@Jake Scott hearmuch from your camp?

32. Heism4n

Heism4n
    Expand Collapse
    World Champ
    First 38

Pittman came to visit him; he didn't go to UGA.

Tiger Roll and Summit_Mountain like this.
  33. Jake Scott

Jake Scott
    Expand Collapse
    DVU Southeastern Recruiting Analyst

They feel good going last on the OV but I’ll believe it when I see it.

34. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You’re sill expecting him to end up at UT, right?

Not being a smartass, just making sure I remember correctly.

35. Summit_Mountain

Summit_Mountain
    Expand Collapse
    Moonshiner

Think the hiring of Pruitt by UT makes a difference to Cade?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 0)

1. Danny Ford,
  2. Tigerpawl,
  3. NST,
  4. HIIMTROYMCcLURE,
  5. Stan_Hansen,
  6. Al Bundy