2018 recruiting thread - Help us BT Potter. You’re our only hope.

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cuwoodchipper, Jul 28, 2015.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 114 users.
  1. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

He does not have KBs legs, no. If @Tony Elliott is worth his salt he won't ask Trevor to run QB reads 20 times a game and instead tailor the offense to his strengths, aka him arm talent.

2. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

:notimpressed:

Adam likes this.
  3. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

The Warchant recruiting analyst has been posting on TI the last week and made the trip up. He shared what he's hearing on multiple Clemson targets.

As promised guys here are some stuff on what I'm hearing with Clemson on their targets. I'll try to share different things that I hear with Clemson targets when I can. These are guys that I have contacts with and this is my view on them from what I have from contacts close to them at least from my side of things. I'll let Paul handle the Clemson side of things since he's much more dialed into that part of the equation.

I'll begin with WR Justyn Ross, who I believe should be visiting Clemson soon for an official visit. As most probably know this is an Auburn/Clemson battle. Auburn has impressed enough with their ability to throw the ball more and that has caught Justyn's attention to a certain degree. However, the consensus I've gotten is that Clemson is the team to watch currently. Justyn is a quiet kid. Doesn't talk a lot, but being developed and getting to the league is a big thing to him in this recruitment and I think he culture at Clemsonreally connects with him.

Auburn certainly is a strong factor with it being so close to Phenix City, but comfort and how he would feel there is an even bigger thing IMO based on my time around Ross. Not a slam dunk for either side, but I think Clemson is the team to watch the most.

If Clemson can show Justyn the same things they did on the first trip and the family feels quite comfortable with the official visit I think they win out at this stage. Out of all the teams he's considering no one has developed receivers better from college to the NFL then Clemson. It also can't be under sold that having a guy like Trevor Lawrence in that same class helps a lot IMO.

Next, and probably a name that isn't talked about as much would be DB Patrick Surtain. IMO watching Clemson the one thing they are probably missing in that defense is a clear shut down guy. Everyone knows my love for Trayvon Mullen, and I think he has the potential to be that guy. But there aren't a ton of guys like him on the roster. Surtain though is probably one of the most college ready corners I've covered in my time in Florida. I also think his personality in being around Patrick fits that Clemson guy type of thing with the culture there.

Ultimately I think it comes down to LSU, Bama and Clemson. I've heard based on my contacts close to Surtain that Clemson, Bama have been moving up while for LSU there hasn't been a lot of movement as of late. Surtain is big on the culture of a school and feeling comfortable. That's one of the reasons LSU has been so high because of the job Corey Raymond has done with him. Surtain hasn't really taken a lot of visits and he's saving that for after the season.

But I hear from my contacts that both Alabama, Clemson are solid players for sure and he likes the opportunity he would have at Clemson and possibly getting on the field early. He knows Trayvon pretty well too and he has seen how his development has gone.

LSU obviously has the advantage in the family department, but I don't get the impression his dad or the family will push one school over the other. He's not a LSU slam dunk based on what I've been told. The official visit to Clemson will be big here and I'm sure Mullen will have a hand in it if I had to guess. If I had to make a pick as of today I would give LSU a slight advantage, but a very small one and that's mainly because Surtain hasn't made that many visits.

Then with Alabama he likes the type of defensive style they play. But I'm not sure the culture fit for Surtain is as good there as it would be at Clemson for his personality.

Then there is also DB Tyreke Johnson out of Jacksonville (Fla). Great safety prospect that I know is quite interested in Clemson. Johnson likes UCLA a lot and probably has felt the most comfortable there over the other places. But I personally think he wants somewhere closer to home then that. Georgia, Clemson, LSU, Ohio State are some of the main teams. Tyreke is very high on Clemson I'm told after checking again on Monday.

Don't know if I would list him with his personality as a Clemson type guy with his personality. He's an Alpha Dog type player and is edgy. He expects his teammates to meet his level of how he competes. He will make sure you know about it if you don't meet that level. Has a non stop motor that never slows down. Not a bad kid, but just edgy. Just different I guess. I've known his family for a long time so if I get anymore on where things stand later I'll try to update things.

I'm going to see Tyreke Johnson play my alma mater Godby High school in Tallahassee this weekend. Should be a pretty good match-up although I think Trinity Christian probably pulls it out. I'll probably get a few thoughts from Tyreke after the game. With Johnson he has solid speed for a safety and can play corner or safety, but I think he really dominates when you let him control the middle of the field. In HS his team mostly plays him as a corner.

He's an athletic freak. I believe he officially visits Clemson this weekend. Knowing how Tyreke views the visits and what he looks for I'll be surprised if he isn't blown away by Clemson and the culture there. But we'll see how things go.

Another name not mentioned that much to watch is OL William Barnes. With the Florida Gators in a situation where no one knows who the next coach will be and the chances of that old staff being broken up I could see Barnes giving Clemson a very strong look. He's a Clemson type kid too with his personality and he's big on family, culture and all that other stuff that Clemson has to offer as a program. So don't be surprised if he's a guy that visits. Comes from a very strong family. His Mother is a UNC grad so they are certainly a major factor here.

Along with Bama, Florida. Early on he was a heavy Gator lean, but if OL coach Brad Davis isn't there I think that really throws things up in the air. I also would keep an eye on Georgia as I think he officially visits there as well. That's a program he also likes a lot. Personality, culture wise though I think Clemson has the edge in those areas. But we'll see if Barnes does indeed take a strong look at Clemson as I expect he will. I don't know how serious Clemson is with him yet, but that's a team I heard often with William the last few weeks.

4. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I'd love to hear his take on clemson culture and what he means when he says "a clemson kid." I have a good idea of what he means but I'd like to hear an outsider's perspective. I'd also like to hear him compare it to Alabama, FSU, UGA.

I don't have rivals. Would someone pose that question?

5. tigergrad00

tigergrad00
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

So a Ben Boulware at safety. Sign me up

Clemson327 and Summit_Mountain like this.
  6. FlyingTiger11

FlyingTiger11
    Expand Collapse

michael lSouth Rangely

I really appreciate your stopping by and sharing your insight, @michael l, and hope you had a great time in Clemson. If you don't mind, while Clemson fans know what is meant when Clemson "culture" or "a Clemson kid" are referenced, I'm curious to hear an outsider's perspective on that and how that compares to a Georgia, Florida State, Alabama, etc.

I would say the culture at Clemson, FSU are similar. Georgia probably to a lesser version. Alabama I look more as a NFL training to get ready for the next level more than an incredible culture compared to Clemson, FSU IMO. Doesn't mean there isn't a family vibe, but just not as strong as the others I would have to say.

Dabo's Dance Coach and Adam like this.
  7. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

Uh, yeh, Clemson and FSU don't have the same culture.

8. 4forheisman

4forheisman
    Expand Collapse

Yea that's a slap to Dabo's face and lost all credibility there, in 1 sentence.

9. 4forheisman

4forheisman
    Expand Collapse

I would say more of a Mackensie Island at safety, but to each their own.

10. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Thanks for asking this but now I have to assume this dude is a FSU fan.

4forheisman likes this.
  11. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

I asked the question and then derped and forgot to share the answer.

FlyingTiger11 likes this.
  12. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

Fresh off his OV to Ohio State, Wiltfong has CB'ed Tyreke Johnson to the Buckeyes.

Yesterday, Jake Rowe CB'ed him to Clemson.

13. FlyingTiger11

FlyingTiger11
    Expand Collapse

I got your back :bobby:

Dabo's Dance Coach likes this.
  14. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

15. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

It certainly seems like we are flat getting our asses kicked in recruiting right now, which is troublesome. I know there is still time left, but we are currently sitting at 30th in Rivals rankings and that is fucking awful.

16. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

The source that told 247Sports that Clemson was the team to beat for Top247 defensive back Tyreke Johnson now says that Ohio State is the program to beat following his official visit to see the Buckeyes at the end of October.

With that being said, the Tigers are expected to get Johnson on campus this weekend and the source added it could turn again.

247Sports ranks Johnson as the nation’s No. 4 safety recruit.

Out of Jacksonville (Fla.) Trinity Christian, Johnson will cap his prep career as a U.S. Army All-American. - Steve Wiltfong

17. 4forheisman

4forheisman
    Expand Collapse

We better start getting some db's or Deshaun Watson 2.0 aka Scar's next qb will be busting our ass come Thanksgiving weekend. Lol

18. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I don't think Wiltfong knows shit. He CB'd Bookie to us then changed it like a week later.

NST likes this.
  19. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

That also includes only 11 commitments to date. We have a monster weekend coming up, and it sounds like Clemson may try to seal the deal with Ross at least.

For reference, Bama is sitting at #32.

20. OxfordTiger

OxfordTiger
    Expand Collapse

Between the tight numbers and championship pedigree to recruit from, it seems like this class is a learning experience for the coaching staff. Hope it turns out well (and think it will outside of the offensive line), but I’d think this class may lead to more offers being made earlier in the future, even with tight numbers.

21. Tigerpawl

Tigerpawl
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Are we using Johnson to leverage Monday?

22. tigergrad00

tigergrad00
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

All Clemson if we decide to take him

23. Summit_Mountain

Summit_Mountain
    Expand Collapse
    Moonshiner

source?

24. Heism4n

Heism4n
    Expand Collapse
    World Champ
    First 38

Doesn't matter, it's false. We have some ground to make up after his 0SU visit.

25. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Oh shit someone challenging @tigergrad00 ’s credibility?
    :ohboy:

26. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I question the credibility of most on here but especially 04. He parrots some tard analysts' thoughts.

27. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I don't believe he's tapped in anymore.

28. Carmine lorenzo

Carmine lorenzo
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Tell us more about your millions of dollars, Kyle.

Pawpride, SackLodge, TCJ and 11 others like this.
  29. Carmine lorenzo

Carmine lorenzo
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

North Dakota has plenty of sources, brah.

30. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

31. clemsontyger04

clemsontyger04
    Expand Collapse
    Two Offensive Coordinators are better than 1
    First 38

The fuck?

kylebw7 likes this.
  32. tigergrad00

tigergrad00
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Haha. Just feel that us leading without him visiting and without us even deciding we want him equals an easy pull after his OV if we choose to push. Even if tOSU has taken a lead.

Dirty Ears Bill likes this.
  33. tigergrad00

tigergrad00
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Hard to be when you move 1000 miles away. Ha

34. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I have nipples, Greg. Do you question my credibility?

Tiger Roll and Cutig like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 0)

1. CoastalOrange,
  2. mbnativeson,
  3. stevesmoothie,
  4. Keywan1474,
  5. SackLodge,
  6. FriendsofJtyler