2018 Clemson Football: The Best Defense Newspring Could Buy

Discussion in 'DVU' started by cuangler, Jan 2, 2018.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 80 users.
  1. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Think I made the thread for the 2016 season, so let's do this again.

Equinsu Ocha, AC-, Clemson327 and 7 others like this.
  2. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Trevor. Lawrence.

DV81 likes this.
  3. TigerTalk

TigerTalk
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Garrett. Williams.

4. DV81

DV81
    Expand Collapse

KB did as best as he could this year, but we are in dire need of a QB who can throw the ball down the field. Really hope TL is the answer we all want him to be.

5. tigergrad00

tigergrad00
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

And a new OL coach, please

Styx and culprit like this.
  6. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

If it's possible to ever recruit an OL like Alabama's to Clemson, and a new OL coach can do that, then I agree. But I'm not sure it is something that can happen... for whatever reason.

7. culprit

culprit
    Expand Collapse

I’ve gone to practices to try to pick up things. I’ve never seen anything Caldwell teaches and thought that it would be a good take away.

He teaches forward lean on pas pro, which will stop the bull rush, but sets you up for pull/swim or bull/pull. That’s also why Pollard was humiliated on spin moves last night. Too much forward lean gets your whole weight forward and no matter how well you move your feet you can’t recover against any quick twitch change of direction like what Alabama did. Our twist protection was awful. The tackles and guards chased instead of passing off. On 3rd and long when they line up in a 3 and 5 Tech, you have to expect some type of twist game. Our OL looked surprised.

He also, teaches run blocking technique that causes our OL too get too overextended. Too much weight forward and it’s easy for defenders to shed blocks. Also, Bama reset the line of scrimmage last night. Our guys got knocked backwards and Bama played on our side of the line of scrimmage all night. Part of that is our pad level is way too high, and part of that falls at the feet of Batson. Our guys look stiff in the hips and don’t play with good bend.

That’s just what I see. I know he gets paid a ton of money to do what he does, so what do I know?

8. orangeonmymind

orangeonmymind
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

We also desperately need a tight end to step up. Richard clearly isn't the answer and it's hard to run a dink and dunk offense without a capable tight end.

Styx likes this.
  9. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

I thought we matched Bama pretty much everywhere except OL and that was the difference.

Their DL could beat our OL regularly and their OL did enough against our DL to move the chains just enough to give them short fields.

Not surprising though as we match them recruiting wise basically everywhere except OL at least in the starting line-up

Adam and Styx like this.
  10. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

Agree about everything y'all are saying with regards to the OL and TE positions. I am still too angry and disappointed to really get into much discussion about it. Later perhaps.

11. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Did Williams play at all this year? He is probably the answer. Richard was surprisingly bad all year.

12. Tony Elliott

Tony Elliott
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Williams is way better than Richard, but I don’t think he will help much as a pass catcher.

13. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

No but We sure could’ve used the blocking last night. Richard on hand was hilarious.

14. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I would be shocked if Lawrence doesn't play a lot next year. I get that it will take him some time to learn the offense/protection schemes etc, but I don't foresee keeping a talent like his on the bench.

15. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You would be “shocked”?

16. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Dabo has called him a Watson and Watkins level talent on offense. Dabo learns from his mistakes. If Lawrence is truly a Watson level talent, he’ll play.

a congressman likes this.
  17. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I fully expect KB to start game 1 and remain QB1 through the season. I'm sure TL will get to play but it'll take a lot of poor play by KB to lose the job.

Dirty Ears Bill and Styx like this.
  18. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Correct, I would be shocked if the guy that broke all the high school records of the best player in Clemson history didn't play next year.

19. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Play a lot though? I wouldn’t be shocked at all. Hunter Johnson is still here. I would be shocked if he DID play a lot.

20. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

I think Lawrence will play a lot of mop up, but Bryant will start and it will take a Eason/Fromm type situation for Lawrence to take over as QB1.

Styx likes this.
  21. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Or a Stoudt/Watson situation.

22. DMX

DMX
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You know Soudt/Watson isn’t the same as Bryant/Johnson/Lawrence.

This thinking is similar to the people this year referencing last year’s team when talking about this year’s team. They aren’t the same. Cooper had to play pretty bad for Johnson to finally take second string this season.

23. NST

NST
    Expand Collapse

Bryant is a lot better than Stoudt.

24. cuwoodchipper

cuwoodchipper
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Yeah, and Watson played a decent amount of non-garbage time before he got the starting job.

25. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

Let’s also no pretend that any other coaches would start Lawrence over Bryant either barring some extraordinary circumstances.

26. culprit

culprit
    Expand Collapse

You’re right. As frustrating as it is, no coach could justify benching the incumbent who went 12-2 and took his team to the playoffs after winning the conference for an incoming freshman.

The frustrating thing is, the JT Barrett comparisons with Bryant are accurate. He can beat weaker defenses with his skill set, but he won’t win you a national championship. Elite defenses, like the one we saw last night, will load the box and take away what he does well.

Lawrence will be the most talented QB on campus the minute his car crosses over the threshold, but there is no way any coach will sit down an experienced starter that achieved what Bryant achieved this year. It will be frustrating knowing that Bryant is extremely limited in stretching defenses vertically. But, like JT Barrett, he’ll win just enough that there will be no justification to take the job from him and give it to Lawrence.

27. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Idk. I think we're in the title game as a lined favorite if Ohio state gets the 4 spot over bama.

Styx, Cutig and cuz28 like this.
  28. Aaron Nevilles Pet Tick

Aaron Nevilles Pet Tick
    Expand Collapse
    Dabo Wizard
    RCUSA Original

Well then I suppose we can say the committee did their job correctly then.

29. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Even if Lawrence is watson good, we know KB isn't ICS bad. I just can't see it happening.

30. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I want to believe okay guys :why:

TCJ likes this.
  31. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Agreed. We play anyone but Bama and it’s a different tone iTT today

32. clemsonvianj

clemsonvianj
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

will be interesting to see who leaves "unexpectedly" this offseason - hope Cornell Powell stays but wouldn't be surprised to see him and/or Thompson leave given the numbers at WR.

33. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Hopefully we get Lamar healthy and Shaq can wake up. Bryant either comes back or makes a bad decision. He needs to get better. Clelin should go. He's ready. Wilkins did nothing I noticed yesterday but he's ready to go as well. Our front seven will still be very good. Davis played well yesterday so he better stay his fifth year. Hopefully dick hands moves on to a practice squad somewhere.

34. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

Austin Bryant made a lot of improvement from last year. He is a good player, but lots of his sacks are of the coverage variety and he benefits from the players around him. He also makes more little mistakes than the others combined.

I think he benefits from coming back and being the man on the DL next year along with Lawrence.

Wilkins and Ferrell have nothing left to prove at this point and hard to see them not getting selected 1st Round.

RIP Tiger Tails likes this.
  35. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

Hyatt should also come back.

He has been a very good players since his FR year, but really hasn’t taken that next step. Need to get stronger and really dominate the LOS as a SR to jump into the 1st or 2nd Round.

If we only lose Wilkins, Ferrell, Cain and Hearn to the draft then that is probably best case and survivable.

Lose Hyatt and Bryant as well and the team might be worse next year although our schedule is the softest it has been on paper in a while as the ACC looks to have peaked in 2016 and we swap TAMU for Auburn and VT for Duke, so predicting another playoff run with even worst case attrition is not absurd.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)