2017 Clemson Football - The Defending National Champions

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Krombopulus Michael, Jan 11, 2017.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 109 users.
  1. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Hopefully Morris interviews well

TheTigerMan likes this.
  2. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

If Venables left before the Sugar Bowl, who would be interim DC?

3. Summit_Mountain

Summit_Mountain
    Expand Collapse
    Moonshiner

Boys it all comes down to what's more important money or winning

Because if he goes to Arkansas he's gonna lose a lot

Doc Louis likes this.
  4. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Marion hobby come home

5. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

I get the feeling he doesn’t like recruiting. Now he could come back and have a minor role in recruiting and really be an X’s and O’s guy but I think Dabo wants his coordinators, like the other staffers, to be influential recruiters.

I bet it’d be some off the wall name. USF, UTSA, Marshall all had good defenses amongst G5 teams. Not sure if Dabo has ties to anyone on their staff

6. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Could be. I do remember recruits talking about their relationship with him and he did a fantastic job while he was here. I trust dabo to make the right hire, I would prefer that never happen though. At least we know anyone dabo calls is going to pick up the phone immediately.

7. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

8. deutztiger

deutztiger
    Expand Collapse

Hobby hates recruiting. Ex nfl guys hate kissing the asses of superstar 30 year olds much less 18 year old kids.

I don't see BV being a head coach. His mannerisms show that's he doesn't really like the media or feel real comfortable interacting with them. In today's world media relationship is a must for any HC.

I also agree with winning and money. Some guys want the title, some guys want to win, some guys want the money. I think BV is a win guy and has an extreme amount of loyalty to Dabo. In the end you can make 10 million in two years at Arkanas and get fired or you can make 2 million a year at for the next ten at Clemson and never sweat your job. Oh yeah, you'll probably win 2 or 3 more Marty's during that time and cement yourself as one of the greatest DCs in the history of the game.

9. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

So it’s not Elliott

10. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Guys, I am not going to lie, if BV left I would be in mourning. I think he is an integral piece of the puzzle that is the Clemson football juggernaut. I know that is a pretty obvious statement to make, but still.

11. tigergrad00

tigergrad00
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I think IF BV left this year, it would be for a school we haven't heard about yet. I don't see him at either UT or Arkansas. Personally, I see him roaming the Clemson sidelines again next year.

12. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What Clemson’s Brent Venables looks for in a head coaching job
    BY MATT CONNOLLY

Brent Venables has been coaching college football since 1993 and has worked at only three different schools during those 25 years.

The reason he has not followed the path of many coaches in his profession and moved from place to place searching for a promotion? Venables has very specific standards when it comes to what he wants in a job.

The 46-year-old, who is serving in his sixth season as Clemson’s defensive coordinator, is a hot name for head coaching jobs right now and is rumored to be a candidate at Arkansas and Tennessee. Venables was in Arkansas for the Broyles Award ceremony Monday night and spoke with Bo Mattingly of Sports Talk with Bo about what he is looking for in a head coaching job.

“I think for me personally there’s got to be a lot of things that are right with the situation, and sometimes the reason those jobs are open is because things aren’t exactly right,” Venables said. “But I always look first and foremost at an alignment. There needs to be a strong foundation in regards to the alignment of the administration, whether that’s the president or chancellor or athletic director. Where there’s a vision, there’s a commitment, and obviously places where you have a great chance to have success if XYZ is there for you.”

In addition to working at Clemson, Venables has also had lengthy stints at his alma mater, Kansas State, and Oklahoma.

He enjoyed incredible success at both schools, winning a national title with Oklahoma in 2000 and coming up just short in 1997 and 1998 at Kansas State as the Wildcats won 11 games both years.

Venables is a big reason why Clemson won its first national championship since 1981 last season and why the Tigers are in the College Football Playoff for a third consecutive year.

He credits the leadership at Kansas State, Oklahoma and Clemson for helping him be successful.

“I’ve just been at three places… and at all of those places ultra successful,” Venables said. “But the leadership at all three of those places was as good as it gets. So I think that that’s a deal breaker when you’re looking at those situations, and so I think what we have, what I have at Clemson now and what I’ve experienced is not the norm. And when you can get that now all of a sudden the stars are, quote, starting to align, so that’s important to me if I’m going to pick up my family. And the Clemson move was easily the hardest thing I’ve done in my professional career. And the people were great. But just very loyal.”

Timing is also important to Venables. He has been interested in head coaching jobs before in his career, but the timing was not right.

In 1998 when he was at Kansas State, the Wildcats were playing Texas A&M in the Big 12 championship game as the No. 2 team in the country.

Venables interviewed for a job at Oklahoma the week leading up to the game, and the Wildcats ended up blowing a 15-point fourth quarter lead and losing in double overtime.

“Everybody goes, ‘Oh, they were distracted,’” Venables recalled. “And I hadn’t decided yet if I was going to leave Kansas State to go to Oklahoma… But my name and that time of my career has always been tied to that loss. It might’ve been the most devastating loss that I’ve been a part of, because had we won we’re playing in the national championship probably against Tennessee. And I just did not like that association.”

A couple of years later when Venables was at Oklahoma he had an opportunity to interview for the Missouri head coaching job as the Sooners were preparing to play for the Big 12 title, but he opted not to after the experience at Kansas State. He added that he has maintained that philosophy throughout his coaching career since the Wildcats lost the Big 12 title in 1998.

“I was like, ‘You know what, I just told myself don’t ever put yourself back in this position,’ and so I called him and said, ‘You know what, I can’t do it,’” Venables said of the Missouri job. “So we’ve had some opportunities… Even last week. And just my moral compass said be loyal to coach (Dabo) Swinney and Clemson and the people at Clemson that have been so good to me. So it’s not easy to juggle, and there’s probably no right or wrong answer, but that’s kind of how I’ve always handled the situation.”

13. Summit_Mountain

Summit_Mountain
    Expand Collapse
    Moonshiner

I love this man

Serious man crush

I hope he's our Bud Foster but will support him if at some point he's not

14. Chad Lynch

Chad Lynch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I think Venables is our 2nd best recruiter....really hope we don’t lose him

15. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

16. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Dodged one bullet. Now just hope Arkansas goes for Morris instead of Venables if they are picking from the dabo coaching tree

#2781 Cutig, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  17. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Between Danny and getting Bowden that big raise, now these two, Arkansas seems to have a hard-on for former Clemson coaches.

18. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

19. TheTigerMan

TheTigerMan
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I keep thinking that Dabo and Brent will be together like Bowden and Mickey. I really hope.

20. cuangler

cuangler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Our perimeter tackling has been rock solid this season.

21. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I hope so. I’m sure we get a good replacement but I don’t think what Venables is doing can be replicated

22. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Only player on their first team

23. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

24. tboon6317

tboon6317
    Expand Collapse
    Whenever feasible, one should try to eat the rude.
    RCUSA Original

Can't imagine too many programs have gone b2b with that award. A lot of credit to Tony, Brent, and Dabo.

25. Tony Elliott

Tony Elliott
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

26. TCJ

TCJ
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

LMAO at no Wilkins

27. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

28. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

That’s incredible. Good for him. Dabo is a wizard.

29. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

30. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I’m sure we’ll hear from timber ray, but has any head coach ever had his dc and oc win in back to back years?

31. Tony Perkis

Tony Perkis
    Expand Collapse

Won't be the last back-to-back accomplishment for Clemson football this season.

32. hawk217

hawk217
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

33. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

34. Doc Louis

Doc Louis
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

:rofl: those defenses had to play entire games. Peasants.

35. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)