2017 Clemson Football - The Defending National Champions

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Krombopulus Michael, Jan 11, 2017.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 109 users.
  1. cid14

cid14
    Expand Collapse

If KB can start hitting these easy throws and Cain start showing more than 75% effort I think we have the potential to go all the way this season. our run defense is good enough to slow down Alabama/Georgia/Wisconsin? Oklahoma is the only one I would worry about, it would probably be a shootout and I don't like our chances at a shootout the way the offense is playing and our depth at DB. I don't think Oklahoma's defense is good enough to win the national championship.

2. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Clemson quarterback Kelly Bryant attributed his inaccuracy on some of his deep throws to "small" mechanical issues.

"Just my elbow, just keeping it high," Bryant said of what he needs to fix. "A lot of those from last week and the N.C. State week, I've been missing them high. So just following through on my throws. Just small mechanical things that can be fixed. I'm just going to have to continue to rep it after practice, just continue to rep some of those throws I've missed."

3. Al Bundy

Al Bundy
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Saying Cain isn't giving good effort is probably a bit harsh. Saying he has dick hands and poor ball skills is more accurate iyam.

4. culprit

culprit
    Expand Collapse

There isn’t any real elite team in college football this season.

1. Bama - Injuries are mounting on D and Hurts is still limited as a passer.

2. Miami - Not sold that they’ve actually played anyone, and the VT loss hurts both them and Clemson. Rosier is not a QB that you can rely on to win a game for you.

3. Oklahoma - Sure their offense scores a lot of points, but defenses in the Big XII are the equivalent of running your offense against air. They’re offense was supposed to be unstoppable in 2015 and the country saw the tragic end to that story in the Orange Bowl.

4. Clemson - Bryant is limited as a passer, but his legs make up for it, as it forces defenses to defend all 11 in the run game. Still he is going to have to start connecting on Deep throws, or there will be too many near the line of scrimmage to account for. The defense is elite, but injuries are limiting them.

5. Wisconsin - it’s easy to look great when you play a JV Schedule.

5. MauldinT

MauldinT
    Expand Collapse
    The pride of Simpsonville

Seeing the above post made me think, would you rather have Bryant or Hurts ?

6. Summit_Mountain

Summit_Mountain
    Expand Collapse
    Moonshiner

Meh same player essentially

7. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What do you think Hurts would look like not behind a Bama oline is the better question?

8. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

9. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Bryant. I think he can make more throws more consistently against a good defense. Bryant has yet to have as bad a game as hurts had against us last year

10. Heism4n

Heism4n
    Expand Collapse
    World Champ
    First 38

11. Heism4n

Heism4n
    Expand Collapse
    World Champ
    First 38

12. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

We lead the nation in sacks (38), sacks per game (3.8), and are tied for 3rd for tackles for loss.

13. Tony Elliott

Tony Elliott
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

14. 19B

19B
    Expand Collapse
    A jelly doughnut?
    RCUSA Original

I don't know what to take from this. OL played like certified pussies at Cuse? Bryant way more injured than we hoped/thought?

15. Styx

Styx
    Expand Collapse
    Pour the bourbon and let the season begin.
    RCUSA Original

You basically nailed it on both accounts.

16. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

"Christan (Wilkins) is going to be honored and (Taylor) Hearn is going to be honored for sure," Swinney said.

"Neither one of them has made a decision on whether they're coming back, but they're both graduating in a couple of weeks."

17. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Damn we need Hearn

18. culprit

culprit
    Expand Collapse

I think Simpson will be better.

19. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Still rather have proven guys stay

20. friedskillet

friedskillet
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

think hyatt comes back for his senior year?

21. Al Bundy

Al Bundy
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

We could play both of them...

22. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Sitting pretty at number two

Clemson327 and Clemsonman10 like this.
  23. bnob

bnob
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

The butt hurt over this will be glorious to watch.

24. Phillipdn

Phillipdn
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Reddit is already losing their minds. Fuck those SCAR-loving assholes.

25. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

26. a congressman

a congressman
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

27. weathermantrey

weathermantrey
    Expand Collapse

Landofthieves forum is full of butt hurt this morning

28. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

barlowd
    Wow they propping up that Auburn win for Clemson, wow. Big Michigan fan this weekend.

ScottsdaleSooner
    This is retarded. No matter how you want to deal with Miami, OU should always be above Clemson.

jakel
    We should be ranked 2nd. The fact we are behind Clempsun and the convicts is a joke. Concerns me a bit if the committee isn't taking great wins. vS ranked opponents into consideration...

Warheads-on-4-heads
    Two teams that get completely destroyed only drop 5-6 spots.
    Ohio State should not even be sniffing the top 10.
    Clemson moving up a spot by Beating a 3 win FSU team with the worst loss of anyone?
    Meanwhile we stomped tcu and only move up one.
    **** their bias bullshit

29. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I don't know what's so hard to understand. Maybe I just have a more advanced understanding of these rankings because my team is always in them.

(1) The committee doesn't give a damn about 'quality of loss.' This can't be overstated. Every goofball in the universe keeps saying "WHY ISN'T CLEMSON OUT WITH THEIR BAD LOSS?!" but we have 4 years worth of rankings that bear this out: a loss is a loss is a loss is a loss... the only exception being that H2H matters when resumes are otherwise equal in the committee's eyes.

(2) There are basically three categories of wins, in descending value: wins vs. CFP contenders, wins vs. other current T25 teams, and wins vs. teams over .500. Ranked wins are all people care about for talking points, but they're not the only resume pluses for the committee... they consider every win against a team over .500 to be a QW. (They also look at power ratings for teams outside the T25: "Team X has __ wins vs. the top 40.")

(3) The committee doesn't just add your most recent result to last week's resume. They evaluate the entire body of work, each week. This is why Oklahoma fans can't just say "We beat TCU, they beat FSU, so we should jump them." Clemson didn't just beat FSU last week (who BTW is still T40 in their two favorite power rankings, Sag and FPI)--they basically picked up another plus when Auburn went from T25 to CFP contender.

Gripe with these criteria if you want to, but don't act like you're shocked. Especially for media members who you'd expect to see past the fan loyalty bias. The truth is that this committee has been pretty damn consistent.

#2444 Adam, Nov 15, 2017 at 9:49 AM
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 10:24 AM
  30. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Dumbass exhibit 1:

31. triceratops

triceratops
    Expand Collapse

Personally think Miami and OU resume is better than ours as teams currently stand, but arguing about it now is pointless.

The rankings will be correct after the Champ Games and 2/3 or 3/2 doesn't matter.

32. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

Very good post

In not factoring in which loss is “better”, the CFB Playoff Committee is encouraging schools to schedule better out of conference games. If you win it’s a significant boost to your resume, if you lose it’s not a major blemish. Basically you have a schedule like Wisconsin who can’t afford a lose, and a schedule like ours where we can afford a loss and still be in prime position thanks to quality wins. I think this is being lost on most, teams are being rewarded for good wins but people view it as a “quality loss” when a 1-loss team is ranked ahead of an undefeated team.

I’m fine with opposing fans and the media debating it, but this sarcastic “well Clemson’s loss to Cuse was a ‘quality loss’ so that’s why they’re higher” line is bullshit and I’ve seen multiple media members go along with it.

I do think it’s a slippery slope for the Chairman to mention Bryant’s injury, since everyone has injuries. But I would imagine this will be limited to QBs who have minor injuries and teams that were proven at the time of the injey

RIP Tiger Tails, AC- and Adam like this.
  33. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Every. Single. Year. People gnash their teeth every week this thing comes out but no one seems to be able to remember that only the last one matters. At the end of the year the top 4 has been pretty spot on. People still calculating the BCS formula have even shown almost no difference from the committee. Bitching about this poll right now is so meaningless. It will work itself out and if Clemson doesn't belong then they'll lose to Miami. Problem solved.

34. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

In the meantime, all the hate reaches the players, and there's your disrespect card.

35. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

bakedtater on TI is making and selling RUN ETN t-shirts, if anyone is interested.

upload_2017-11-15_10-54-47.png

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)