2017 Clemson Football - The Defending National Champions

Discussion in 'DVU' started by Krombopulus Michael, Jan 11, 2017.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 109 users.
  1. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

They're mediocre and nowhere near our level man for man, but yeah, that hasn't really stopped us from being pushed to the brink before. Even if we smack them around early, Tony will let them back in it and ensure we're all biting our nails in Q4.

DMX, Styx and Lando Donovan like this.
  2. Tony Elliott

Tony Elliott
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I don’t think they’ll be able to score much at all. They really don’t have anyone that stands out as “dangerous.” The score may not be pretty, but we’ll be in control the entire game.

TCJ and Carmine lorenzo like this.
  3. Tony Elliott

Tony Elliott
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

4. Codename Duchess

Codename Duchess
    Expand Collapse

We'll control the LOS against SCar. The score may make the end result appear closer than it really is though but I don't think the game will ever be in doubt.

5. Billdozer

Billdozer
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

6. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Misleading. He didn't play much in several games and others when he was in we were purposely running. I'd like to see our running splits

Dabo's Dance Coach and statebird like this.
  7. Grady Jarrett

Grady Jarrett
    Expand Collapse
    In there like swimwear
    RCUSA Original

A Brent Venables defense vs a Kurt Roper offense is a matchup with which I'm very comfortable

A Tony Elliott offense vs a Will Muschamp defense, not so much

Adam likes this.
  8. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

Yeah to me that’s much more about how the games were going. We were out in front and playing with a lead against L’Ville, VT, Wake, GT, & Kent St. Our gameplans also generally involve a grinding ground game in the second half as they should.

After re-watching last night’s game I’m much less frustrated with Elliot than I am Bryant. KB appeared to just lose confidence and started aiming throws...or maybe its footwork/mechanics. With him playing like he was I’m sure that effected what Elliot called. Even then we weren’t crazy conservative. Hell, the Renfrow catch and run was on 2nd down when we were trying to run the clock.

Bryant simply isn’t consistent and isn’t playing well right now so you’re going to see that effect the offense. Is Elliot perfect, of course not but he’s still damn good. The story of the offense struggling right now is more on KB.

Before I forget Milan Richard has greatly improved as a blocker. Also with the way KB throws deep balls that float forever they’re going to be contested catches. Unfortunately for Cain that’s not what he excels at so coaches need to realize that he’s not going to be hit in-stride and throw more of those balls to Overton/Higgins.

clemsonvianj, Al Bundy, AC- and 2 others like this.
  9. statebird

statebird
    Expand Collapse
    Let's go rip some throats
    First 38

They give up a lot of yards then play good redzone defense and turn people over. If we can protect the ball we will be fine. Our running game has given us an efficient RZ offense.

10. kylebw7

kylebw7
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Rodgers isn't tall but he's good on film with contested catches. Give him a try

11. u jelly

u jelly
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

I would just like to remind everyone that last year against Pitt, on 4th and 1 we lined up in the jumbo package and Elliott called a Gallman run to the left behind Leggett. Not to the right behind Dex and Wilkins, to the left behind Leggett. On 4th and 1. In the 4th quarter. Behind Leggett.

12. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Then somehow beat alabama

13. Tigerchan

Tigerchan
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

Why do you want to remind me of this

14. Aitch

Aitch
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

What are you guys talking about? We haven’t played Pitt since the 70’s...:contused:

15. DV81

DV81
    Expand Collapse

With some time to reflect, I'm very concerned about this offense. USC is a game we "should" win, but our conservative play calling in the 2nd half is killing us and keeping teams in the game. We've gone 3 and out far too many times in the 2nd half and our defense gets far too tired as a direct result. At this point, it's hard for me to say we beat Miami in the title game. As much as I want us to, they looked amazing against ND. I hope I'm wrong, but right now we have some very serious problems on offense. Our D can't win the games by themselves.

16. CoastalOrange

CoastalOrange
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I believe @Dirty Ears Bill posted it previously but we have some ridiculously long scoring droughts during games. That has been fine so far but against USC, Miami, and whoever else, it is not going to cut it. Like you said, our D gets winded when they are on the field the entire second half.

Aitch likes this.
  17. Tony Elliott

Tony Elliott
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

We had one 3 and out the entire game, and it wasn’t in the second half.

Vs NCSU, we had two 3 and outs in the second half.

18. NST

NST
    Expand Collapse

I think we'll run the ball all over USC amd they'll struggle to block us.

Will take a lot of turnovers or missed tackles by the Tiger D to lose to them.

Would guess a final score along the lines of 30-20. Not a cover but a two score win.

19. Tony Elliott

Tony Elliott
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

We throw the ball plenty in second halves. The issue appears to have way more to do with execution than play calling. KB is off on some deep balls, and Cain has sucked pretty much all season.

20. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

Cain will drop an easy TD yet make a great play elsewhere in the game. That third down scramble against NCSU in the second half where Clemson could not afford a punt was a great catch, a great dive for the first down and overall a huge play. It's maddening.

Fortunately for Clemson, Matthew Thomas had about as terrible of a play by not picking up the fumble on the goal line.

21. Cutig

Cutig
    Expand Collapse
    My name is Rod, and I like to party
    RCUSA Original

Cain is martavis Bryant.

How did our substitution strategy change going into the playoffs last two years? Would be interesting to see a snap chart

22. NST

NST
    Expand Collapse

Cain reminds me of Kelvin Grant

TCJ and bucktaylor like this.
  23. Buzz

Buzz
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

When we see Miami in Charlotte they will have only played 4 road games on the season at: Duke, FSU, UNC and Pitt. Charlotte will be more of a hostile road environment than anywhere they have played previously. Miami also hasn't had to play in the cold yet. Although I'm sure @Pitt will be cold at 1pm on Black Friday but they may not play in cold weather until Dec in Charlotte.

I just think Miami has been very fortunate with their schedule this year. They got their two toughest games back to back home vs VT and Notre Dame in front of a reinvigorated fan base. They get UVA home then go to Pitt. Playing us in Charlotte in front of a virtual Clemson home crowd in the cold will be very different than anywhere else they have played on the season.

#2403 Buzz, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:29 AM
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 11:03 AM
  24. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Don't think that was me, but I do remember someone posting about it.

25. TheWampa

TheWampa
    Expand Collapse
    A real Hoth mess
    First 38

Random anecdote:

I saw Kelvin Grant play for the Columbia Stingers in their inaugural game. Who the heck is that? They were a short-lived, Indoor Football League team that started in Columbia and was coached by Corey Miller. Fans were asked to name the mascot, a giant bee, and the winner would received season tickets for life.

In what was supposed to be a 14ish game season, the Stingers lasted 8 games total.

I remember being excited as a 15 year old that a Clemson guy was there. What a miserable experience.

26. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

I went to school with Kelvin Grant. Didn't he have someone follow him around at Clemson to make sure he went to class? And he still managed to not do that.

27. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

I think some of us are being a little too critical. We may not have a 54-0 ACC win, but very few of our games have ever been in doubt. Auburn was only 8 points, but I wasn't exactly sweating that one out at the end. NC State was nerve-wracking, I'll grant. Every other game has been 2+ scores.

Last season we beat Auburn by 6, Troy by 6, Louisville by 6, NC State in OT, FSU by 3, VT by 7. We were the Cardiac Cats who always needed just the right play from Deshaun, or just the right bounce of the ball. We aren't relying on that this season and I'm happy with it.

(I omitted both losses from this comparison)

28. deutztiger

deutztiger
    Expand Collapse

The problem with that play was the front Pitt was in, they went double eagle or bear and had a nose over the center. Instant penetration due Jay not being able to cut him off. We should have changed the play when we saw their front..still on elliott.

29. FriendsofJtyler

FriendsofJtyler
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

We always play our best towards the end of the season anyway. Hoping we peak at the right time again.

But damn man, we've got to get healthy.

AC- and Krombopulus Michael like this.
  30. Dabo's Dance Coach

Dabo's Dance Coach
    Expand Collapse

Ard gets worked up over the dumbest stuff.

31. Adam

Adam
    Expand Collapse
    First 38

It is worth mentioning that RRM, while he hasn't done much as a WR, hasn't fumbled in awhile and he has me actually excited about punt returns for the first time in years.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  32. Krombopulus Michael

Krombopulus Michael
    Expand Collapse
    Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
    RCUSA Original

oh cool, a jinx

33. mooser3586

mooser3586
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

You didn't experience any nerves when FSU got to within 3 and KB2 coughed it up on the first play? Granted, the very next play was the INT, but I was not in a good place in between those two plays.

34. Dirty Ears Bill

Dirty Ears Bill
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

:haha: Fair enough. For exactly one play my butthole was clenched.

mooser3586 likes this.
  35. Keywan1474

Keywan1474
    Expand Collapse
    RCUSA Original

Lots of bad thoughts in my head

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)